Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs 4 bolt replating?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914ltd
I have a need for 4 perfect Fuchs 914/4 rims. Has anyone had the experience of having them restored and anodized that look original? I have 4 very nice wheels but the customer wants them to look new. Thanks, Brad
Tom_T
Brad,

The 2 known best CW quality sources are either Al Reed in Anaheim CA or Harvey Weideman in Oroville, CA, just specify restore to original finish with anodizing.

IIRC they'll run around $100-200 per wheel, depending upon condition of each wheel pre-resto, & those in the pix look to be in pretty good shape, but I'm sure that Al or Harvey will need to see them in person for a set quote.

That's based on an estimate that I got a few years ago from Al Reed for 5 which had been factory painted in the Phoenix Red (orange) background of the LE look option on a set of Fuchs 2L wheels I got, which was $120 each in 2010. I'd since gotten a set of 5 already restored from another member, so I didn't muck up the factory painted ones.

PS - if your customer is a CdE perfectionist, then he/she should try to locate a 5th one for the spare, as they would've come from the factory - before the unscrupulous dealers "stole" the spare Fuchs & substituted a Steelie!!

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
sofi2t81
Hey Brad,

Fuchs does that here in Germany for 250€ a piece but I'm not sure if they have the possibility in the US too. May be you ask them via Mail.

Peter
914ltd

Thanks Tom and Peter!
I haven't needed Fuchs wheel restoration in a long time. Didn't remember where to start. Much appreciated! Brad
mepstein
Tom is quoting you prices from the olden days. Fuchs refinishing runs $250+ and takes 6 months to a year from Harvey or Al. Welcome to 2017.
914ltd

Is the end product on these 914/4 Fuchs as original, anodized in 2 different finishes?
Brad
bdstone914
QUOTE(914ltd @ Jan 6 2017, 03:48 PM) *

Is the end product on these 914/4 Fuchs as original, anodized in 2 different finishes?
Brad

Yes the paddles are polished and recessed area matt finish. I would not send wheels to Al Reed. Had him "restore " a set and the anodizing was poor. He blaimed it on old metal. Talked to Harvey and he said they do not have that problem as they use an aero space anodizer. That was that last time I dealt with Al Reed. Harvey and Al parted ways long ago.
Bruce
mepstein
Harvey makes the wheels perfect. It cost time and money but he has no equal.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 6 2017, 05:01 PM) *

Brad

Yes the paddles are polished and recessed area matt finish. I would not send wheels to Al Reed. Had him "restore " a set and the anodizing was poor. He blaimed it on old metal. Talked to Harvey and he said they do not have that problem as they use an aero space anodizer. That was that last time I dealt with Al Reed. Harvey and Al parted ways long ago.
Bruce

That's the first I've heard of a preference for one over the other.
Anyone have any experience with the new Fuchs guy who advertises on the Samba ?
Rand
Weideman is a stand-up guy who will do you right. Turnaround time might be a problem if you're in a hurry, but I wouldn't do anything before talking with him.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jan 6 2017, 05:01 PM) *

Brad

Yes the paddles are polished and recessed area matt finish. I would not send wheels to Al Reed. Had him "restore " a set and the anodizing was poor. He blaimed it on old metal. Talked to Harvey and he said they do not have that problem as they use an aero space anodizer.

Basicly, but I've seen "as new' Fuchs and they are far from perfect, so if a restorer does a "perfect job" it's likely not concours correct.

A close job would be to strip the anodizing in a weak lye (sodium hydroxide) solution, blast them with fine media (frosted finish), polish the pedals and have them clear anodized.

To me it's not "old metal" it's the fact the aluminum Fuchs used has a fair bit of copper in the alloy.
You can see this when you strip the factory anodizing, as the rims will turn black after a few rims have been through the lye solution.
914ltd

I've been a 914 enthusiast of the 914 since I bought my first one in 1972.
This thread is another example of the great resource we have to tap into the combined knowledge of 914's available, even for me. Thanks all! Brad
ConeDodger
Harvey Weidman is a member here. You can PM him Brad. And yes, he does pretty much better than factory restoration.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.