Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Buttonwillow Raceway Park
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
This place is 20 minutes from my house. Anyone been there, drove/raced, or checked it out? Does it have anything to offer someone with a 914?

Buttonwillow Raceway
Allan
icon_bump.gif
Brad Roberts
I have about 80 hours of track time there with 3 different configs.

Not sure what you are asking.

You cant drive up and drive on the track... you can plan on attending one of their drivers education events.

B
Type 4
Buttonwillow is down wind from the largest Toxic waste dump in the USA.
960 tons of toxic waste are dumped there evey day according to the EPA.
dan10101
It has everything to offer for a 914! You'll love it. You're lucky to be so close.

It's a longer track, but still technical. Lots of flat out fun with little obstructions to mess up body panels. Just drive off into the desert biggrin.gif

Just go to their website and find a day when a group is running that would interest you, pay 10 bucks and check it out from their modern viewing building. (sound like an advertisment)

Or, find out who's renting the track by looking at their calendar. Send an email and sign up for one of the lapping days. Many of the groups are eager to get filled up so they don't loose their shirts when they rent the track.

dan10101
QUOTE (Type 4 @ Apr 28 2005, 04:59 PM)
Buttonwillow is down wind from the largest Toxic waste dump in the USA.
960 tons of toxic waste are dumped there evey day according to the EPA.

Oh, well, nevermind what I said.....

dan10101
Here's a video of the toxic waste dump..

right click save as - 24MB requires DivX to play

has a cool 914 in it...

here's the link for the divX download. http://www.divx.com/divx/

drew365
Buttonwillow is a very fun track. I like it better than the big track at Willow Springs. I'm sure if there were toxic waste blowing around in the air that Georgie and Arnold would put a stop to it! rolleyes.gif
seanery
ok, who's got air at the bus stop?
Brad Roberts
Only in a car with PLASTIC bushings... flipa.gif The roller bearing cars GLIDE over the top and land nicely on the outside birm.

B
SLITS
Toxic Waste = All the materials left over from processes making the goods you want/use in your lifestyle. Give up your lifestyle, ditch the car and buy a horse, build a log cabin with a woodstove, dump the entertainment you enjoy, and a few thousand other things...you will have solved the problem.

All the "toxic" (pretty well anything in CA under Prop 65) must be reduced to a solid. The solid is then "canned" in EPA approved barrels. Volatiles are controlled by this manner, so as not to inundate the air with toxic vapors (as defined by Prop 65). Kettlemen City is, as I remember, the last "Class A Toxic Dumpsite" left in California.

A fry cry from the "open dumping" that existed years ago..Try the Stringfellow Acid Pits, Hooker Canal, etc., that existed during the industrial revolution.

That said, it was really the only place that was affordable when CalClub was looking to build a track, due to the defunct Riverside International Raceway due to our overzealousness for shopping malls. The land became more valuable than the history and the residents constanly complained of noise & traffic.

Anyway, I doubt you will enhale anything more toxic than bovine flatus and vapours from the fertilizer and cow shit being sun-baked (when the Tule Fog goes away).

Fortunatley, the crops grown in the region and the livestock really don't get paniced about the noise and bussle of a race track.

That said, we could talk about the fly problem................

This is only the humble opinion of the writer. It may or may not reflect the opinion of the Admin & Admins of this board, but then no one really gives a flyin' f*** what I or they think. biggrin.gif

Wooow Man, It's flourescent Lime Green.....Faaaarrrrrrr Out, Man!
Brad Roberts
Thanks for the Toxic update SLITS beerchug.gif

B
nine14cats
I like Buttonwillow alot...I've driven there 8 track days over the past 2.5 years. The majority of the time you run clockwise. In that direction there is a decently banked high speed section called Talledega where you can really get on the gas and it leads uphill to the top of "magic mountain" where you get to do a slight direction change while unweighting the car. It's fun.

The also run it counter-clockwise which is my favorite direction. It gives the track a whole different feel. It's slightly slower in that direction but I like the flow that way better. The only thing is that coming onto the straight going counter-clockwise, it seems to get more people into the infield wall as they try to recover from going through the turn too hot....

All in all, I recommend it....and Buttonwillow is the track that I blew up my 2.7 liter motor last July 4th weekend on a missed shift.... wacko.gif

Go for it!

Bill P.
campbellcj
I've only driven there once, but as I recall, it was a fun track. Hot, humid, and flat (compared to some other Calif tracks).

I had a "moment" there, going over Magic Mountain where a $80K+ 993TT spun, kicking up a massive dust clowd impairing visibility, and was parked perpendicularly across the track right as I came over the blind crest at full tilt in my near-stock 914 2.0. I think we both almost soiled our seats...but came thru OK.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.