Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear crank seal.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Keith914
What is the "Brain Trust's" opinion as to whether or not to press the rear (near the flywheel) bearing oil seal in with a sealing compound or simply a light smear of oil? If with a seal what type/brand would you recommend?
Thanks in advance for your advice.
914Sixer
Oil is my choice.
cary
I second oil.
For the best/preferred seal search McMark and Mark Henry. I can't remember the brand.
Mark Henry
Nothing, nada, zip, gar nichts....
and don't put it in too deep, flush with the case or inset just the amount of the small bevel on the bore.

Before you put the flywheel on grease the lip with a small amount of bearing grease.
Of course measure your endplay before you install the seal.
TheCabinetmaker
I use to have problems with these seals. Changed to the sabo brand and no problems since. Has a bigger, stronger spring.
Keith914
Thanks for all your inputs. Dry it is.
saigon71
+1 on the Sabo rear main seal.

I had a Victor Reintz main seal fail on me during startup of a fresh rebuild. Installed a Sabo and had no leaks.

I'll be using Sabo's from here on out.

MartyYeoman
If I remember correctly, one is black and the other is orange in color. I don't recall witch is which. Could someone clarify. confused24.gif Thanks
TheCabinetmaker
Sabo= black
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jan 8 2017, 01:38 PM) *

Sabo= black

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.