Full Version: 911/914-6 engine content....Al fan shrouds manufacture
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
raynekat
Saw this on Youtube today.

Pretty cool.

My German's pretty rusty tho....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMyjV59GITQ
bretth
That's cool. I always wanted to try and sand cast something, relatively inexpensive if machining isn't needed. I wonder what the ping pong balls near the end processes are for.
914Sixer
Lots of steps to make that part. Good information on how the sand casting process takes place and the machining required. Imagine doing the work with out CNC.
mb911
I am actually looking at making these out of magnesium locally..
tscrihfield
Very cool, thanks for the share!

BillC
QUOTE(bretth @ Jan 8 2017, 09:23 AM) *

I wonder what the ping pong balls near the end processes are for.

They are used to reduce evaporation from the tank, by reducing the exposed surface area of the fluid.
porschetub
Amazing foundry so much automation,interesting to watch,not like the one I worked in many years okay sad.gif .
The finished product looks heavier in construction than the magnesium one, wonder what to finished weight is ?
IronHillRestorations
I'll bet the fan housing was a Mahle product, and pressure cast
raynekat
Mittelmotor's ad on Ebay.de (Germany)....

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Porsche-911-RSR-ST-...b8AAOSw44BYcQBw
jd74914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jan 8 2017, 01:15 PM) *

Amazing foundry so much automation,interesting to watch,not like the one I worked in many years okay sad.gif .

That's what I was thinking...much cleaner than any foundry I've been in too! Especially the non-ferrous metal foundries. Maybe I missed it, but I was surprised not to see a heat treating step. Wonder what alloy they are made from?
Bartlett 914
I think that was a nice video. I worked at a company that cast Cast iron valve guides and Die cast aluminum pistons. This fan was done in a "lost foam" process. The sand formed the outer shape of the fan housing. The white material that got inserted was foam that evaporates when the heated aluminum hit it. The white foam is the fan housing. I was in a forum where guys were making jewelry pin from bugs. "Lost bugs". Think about casting a dragon fly in silver this way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.