Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What type of wheel is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nacho
Hi there,,

I've been searching online for what type of wheel this is but I can find anything. I would like to know so that I can ordered the center caps.

Thanks

Nacho
URY914
Good luck finding caps. They haven't been made in +20 years.

They were sold under many different names. American Racing, Gurney etc.

I had set on my car. I bought them in 1979!
Unobtanium-inc
Try searching under McAfee, I think they were the original ones with a bunch of clones after that. Jack McAfee.
Nacho
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 8 2017, 08:03 PM) *

Good luck finding caps. They haven't been made in +20 years.

They were sold under many different names. American Racing, Gurney etc.

I had set on my car. I bought them in 1979!

Thanks for the lead on the brand. I figured they didn't make them anymore. Even some reproductions would be good.

Thanks
Nacho

Nacho

smile.gif
Rob-O
They polish up nicely...
trick-e
I've those same wheels, with a couple of the caps. I'll check if there's a part number.
TheCabinetmaker
Those are dan gurney westerns. Center caps not available
McMark
Wheel center caps seem like the perfect application for 3D plastic printing. idea.gif
ConeDodger
The good thing about those wheels is that if gravity failed us, your 914 would still not float away. blink.gif

I'd guess the weight at somewhere between 18-20# each. That's just the wheel. Not the wheel and tire. Unstrung weight. Not the place you want heavy if you're looking for performance. shades.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 9 2017, 06:43 AM) *

The good thing about those wheels is that if gravity failed us, your 914 would still not float away. blink.gif

I'd guess the weight at somewhere between 18-20# each. That's just the wheel. Not the wheel and tire. Unstrung weight. Not the place you want heavy if you're looking for performance. shades.gif

A tad over 14.5 pounds each from a set I had. I didn't measure all four of them, I do know 2 are a different manufacture.

I found a company that can manufacturer brand new wheels for them to be wider if need be,

http://www.etmags.com/one_off_wheels.html

LAT 70
The LAT 70 was a 13 x 5 1/2" classic sunbeam tiger wheel. Our customer wanted that traditional look in a 15 x 6 1/2" wheel. This allowed for a larger tire to be used and while keeping that classic look for his car.

Click to view attachment

PlantMan
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jan 8 2017, 09:03 PM) *

They polish up nicely...

They do look good polished.
The caps where simple domed cap similar to a lot of the American Racing wheels.
I had these on my 72.

Check Craigslist, they appear from time to time.
Rob-O
I had a set that was polished up on my car. Had new caps too. They weren't made for the wheel, but they fit well. I want to say they were American Racing or Cragar wheel center caps. Weird I know, but they fit well, cleared the bearing cover caps on the front wheels and (even though we're chromed) matched the polished aluminum wheel well.

I don't remember them weighing a lot. But I didn't put them on a scale.
flat4guy
Sunbeam Tigers had a very similar wheel - check "Sunbeam Specialties" for a cap. They show a 3" center.
injunmort
as said gurney western wheels, i got a set of center caps on ebay last year, someone is knocking them off.
Robnxious
As has been said before these are Dan Gurney Western Wheels. I have them on mine, and was going to change them out for Fuchs, but after seeing how well they polish up, I am going to try polishing mine and seeing how they come out. If you hunt hard enough, it is possible to find center caps for these, though I have not yet bought any, so I can't verify if they truly fit or not.
Keyser Sose
Measure the opening and you can often find a workable center cap. Don't know what size yours are but I had Panasports, also impossible to find center caps, and found that black plastic 924 center caps fit them perfectly, Porsche crest and all.

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 9 2017, 08:49 AM) *

Wheel center caps seem like the perfect application for 3D plastic printing. idea.gif

Totally agree.
print them and then finish them up on a lathe. Not hard at all once you have the basic cad drawing.

Zach
stanthedog
If I had a lathe in my garage, I wouldn't bother printing them, I'd make them billet. Oh' and my 74 has those wheels as well.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 9 2017, 10:22 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 9 2017, 06:43 AM) *

A tad over 14.5 pounds each from a set I had. I didn't measure all four of them, I do know 2 are a different manufacture.

I found a company that can manufacturer brand new wheels for them to be wider if need be,

http://www.etmags.com/one_off_wheels.html

LAT 70
The LAT 70 was a 13 x 5 1/2" classic sunbeam tiger wheel. Our customer wanted that traditional look in a 15 x 6 1/2" wheel. This allowed for a larger tire to be used and while keeping that classic look for his car.

Click to view attachment

Mine were a good deal heavier. Different manufacturer I'm sure. Actually, 14.5# would make it a very light wheel. I'd question that scale. dry.gif
Eric_Shea
I have the center caps for them... you'd have to take 4 more wheels to get them! LOL

They're hilarious "spinners". Probably back in style now.
URY914
My car in '79. I think I paid about $39.00 at piece for the wheels.

Click to view attachment
URY914

Click to view attachment
trick-e
Here are the caps that came on a parts car. It appears there was another 'cap' that screwed onto the end?
injunmort
that looks like a trailer cap with grease fitting
Mueller
QUOTE(trick-e @ Jan 13 2017, 04:12 AM) *

Here are the caps that came on a parts car. It appears there was another 'cap' that screwed onto the end?

those caps hurt my eyes!
euro911
I don't run with any caps ... on any wheels. Just paint the grease caps and the rear hubs black and you're good to go confused24.gif
Larmo63
Caps, schmaps, who needs caps?

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
QUOTE(trick-e @ Jan 13 2017, 04:12 AM) *

The Spinner has Spun Off
Beach914
I had a set of Gurneys that had the caps as they came from Rusnak in LA. The caps were bullet shaped and had 4-5 tabs for small screws that mounted them to the wheels. I sold them to another member here. i am searching for some wheel caps for some custom HRE's and came upon some similar bullet caps from American Racing. Not sure of the diameters but worth searching.
Nacho
QUOTE(Beach914 @ Mar 26 2017, 03:27 PM) *

I had a set of Gurneys that had the caps as they came from Rusnak in LA. The caps were bullet shaped and had 4-5 tabs for small screws that mounted them to the wheels. I sold them to another member here. i am searching for some wheel caps for some custom HRE's and came upon some similar bullet caps from American Racing. Not sure of the diameters but worth searching.

Cool thanks for the info! aktion035.gif
Mikey914
Spinner
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.