Looks like it uses the VW w12 engine...
SirAndy
damm, not bad!

1600 pounds @ 150 DIN HP (2.0 liter)

check out the gallery!!!!
Gallery

Andy
Jeff Krieger
They should put a flat-four in it (or better yet a small flat-six) to keep the center of gravity low.
Qarl
Old news on the Pelican board....
anthony
The article says it will cost 23,000 euros. It's not as cheap as originally suggested. That's about $27K in the US. How many of us CSOBes would buy one?
ThinAir
A couple of days ago the exchange rate was 1 Euro - $.85 so it would be under $20,000 in the U.S. (without figuring importing costs).
Jeff Krieger
QUOTE(ErnieDV @ Jun 27 2003, 10:47 PM)
A couple of days ago the exchange rate was 1 Euro - $.85 so it would be under $20,000 in the U.S. (without figuring importing costs).

Ernie, go here http://www.xe.com .
ThinAir
Like I said, it was a couple of days ago. I remember checking carefully to make sure that I didn't have it reversed because I was surprised to see the dollar again worth more than the Euro. Either way, it will change so many times before we see this car that it's anyone's guess how much it will cost here. One thing for sure (IMHO), if they can't make it so that it is in the same price area as the MINI, they aren't going to be very successful.
tod914
Looks like some1 stepped on a TT.
Anton
Both Porsche and VW deny the history of the 914. The main reason is, I guess, that they themselves screwed up in the marketing (and pricing) department. The car grew popular in the US (designated as a Porsche), but in Europe did not seem to fit (what is that, a Volkswagen-Porsche? So it's a VW??? But that's no sportscar!).

I applaud VW for making an attempt to produce a new light-weight mid-engined sportscar with sufficient power and good mileage (!). But for crying out loud
[SIZE=14]remember the 914 and don't screw this one up![SIZE=1]
anthony
ErnieDV, you have the exchange rate reversed. Right now $1 buys approximately .85 Euros. Actually, using Alfred's exchange web site:

23000 E * 1.14130 = $26,249

Of course it could still come in at $20K over here. Cars are priced high in Europe because of taxes.
Malmz
This may be an inaccurate assumption, but this is my gut feeling.

If VW and Porsche did another joint venture, and marketed this car in the US for under $30k as a new Porsche 914, I bet they would sell the snot out of them.

The "bad wrap" days of the 914 have faded quite a bit, and there are a ton of people who owned an original 914, own one, or checked them out. We all get looks and complements anytime we go out, and it's just the total spoons who still bag on the VW link, who cares...

A LARGE number of the people on these boards and lists would make it thier first choice to buy based on the name alone.

The new generation of non-motorhead 20-somethings that such a car would appeal to do not know about the 914 name bad wrap, and would buy it anyway since it is cool and would have the Porsche name on it.

Heck, think of the value it would add to our cars if that happened... Not that that is a good thing when we like to buy our cool little cars at a reasonable cost.

sm
Jeff Krieger
I think the 914 would have gotten much more positive reviews when it was new if it would have been less expensive. Back then, it cost as much as a new Corvette. (Plus, it could have benefited from a RennShifter.) By '73, the reviews started to improve greatly but it was still expensive.

Thought I'd throw this picture in:

IPB Image
anthony
The 914 sold pretty well. What was it, about 100,000 cars over the six years? This is very comparable to Boxster sales.
rhodyguy
where i live the dealers throw on an "adjusted market value". for high interest /desireability cars. it doesn't matter if they have 50 on the lot and they've been there awhile. getting a car at list is history, ie miata's when they first came out (how would you liked to have been one of the saps that paid $30k and up the first year?), pt cruisers, mini's, rx7's, etc.

i used to do a visitation pickup near a dealer. i saw the same car in place for over 2 months. the ex was late and i went to look at the car. sales person came out and i asked about the a.m.v. popular car, can't keep them in stock, bla, bla, bla, hense the increase in price. i pointed out how long the car was there. pause, stammer, stare. i said somethong like knock off the amv and another 3 and we'll talk. looked at me like i was speaking klingon. that new car will be $36k minimum+tack on bs.

kevin

ps the dollar took an incredible beating in europe in the early 70's. when i got ther in 72' it was about 7dm to the $. when i left in 74 it was under 3.5. i don't thinked that helped much.
PatW
Stands to reason. I think it was about a year ago, I read somewhere that an inexpensive Boxter was in the works. It was denied by the fatory. Now I hear a VW mid-engine in the works?. Built It, I say!

I really wanted a Mini when they came out but, could not part with the buck$ for the little thing when I saw it in person. FWD, Chrysler built 4cyl, etc, . If this one from VW comes to the US, I'd really consider going deep into debit to get one. wacko.gif
EdwardBlume
IMO (discount appropriately)- Porsche ought to build it. The Boxster cash cow is getting lower on milk. The Cayenne is not as hot as they thought. I'd be willing to bet on Porsche blowing out 30-40K of these style cars at $30-$35,000. I'd be one.
tod914
Id be really surprized if porsche did make it. I remember reading in pano that they said the boxster will remain as the entry level porsche.
a new 914 would cut into boxster sales. as would a
turbo boxster cut into 911 sales. hence no turbo boxster. would be real nice if they did though.
the elise by lotus should be available within 2 years state side. that looks like tons of fun
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.