Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC Streets of Willow in-car video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
http://www.nosubstitute.org/events/WCC2005...CC_2005_SOW.wmv

This is about a 35mb download but is 12mins of pretty good quality in-car video and sound, shot from the driver's POV right next to my head. Actually I was pleasantly surprised how damn well the Canon DV camera and IO Port mount I tossed in on Saturday morning actually worked. smile.gif

The laps are fairly mellow as it was late in the day and the car was not running 100% due to carb issues (again).

If there is interest I can either cut a shorter/smaller file of a lap or two, or do a higher res version.
Brad Roberts
I'll take some screen shots from it when I get it downloaded. I want to know if "anyone" was taught the line (besides the people who road with Otto and the other POC guy's)

Thanks again for letting me "flog" your car. It is a VERY nice ride.

B
skline
I took Bob out in my car and he showed me the line and then I let him drive my car and he showed it to me again. It was a different line than others I saw driving out there but most everyone seemed to be doing ok. There were a few that did spin outs, one right in front of me and he was an instructor. Tires can really make a difference.
SirAndy
oh my, 13.9KB/Sec ....

huh.gif Andy
campbellcj
Sorry, it's on the T1 at my office which is typically pretty slammed. If anybody can rehost it on a bigger pipe, please feel free.
larryp
The car sounds good. And the track looks really nice. (But flat, is there any elevation?) I wish I had a track map; I have no idea where I am watching! I'll have to go find one.
Jeroen
larry, you can find a track map on the wcc event info pages...
click the "events" link at the very top of the page
then choose "wcc 2005"
and "trackday info"
balljoint
Downloaded in about 5 minutes at 8:15 AM EST. Very nice.
campbellcj
QUOTE (larryp @ Apr 29 2005, 04:05 AM)
The car sounds good. And the track looks really nice. (But flat, is there any elevation?) I wish I had a track map; I have no idea where I am watching! I'll have to go find one.

Elevation changes >200ft if I remember right. The right hand sweeper after the main straight is fairly steep uphill (in 5th gear).

I made a version last night in 640x480 res with lower compression. It's 75mb but I may go ahead and toss it on the server as well.
Brad Roberts
Nice!

I need Trekkor and others to see this video. It clearly shows how driving the "right" line with little to NO power will have you on the bumper of cars with larger engine/more grip that dont know the line. Nice and smooth. I rode with some and they where making it a full time job to get their 914 around the track. It should be fluid and smooth (like Chris' video) Even Chris downshifted/upshifted in the chicane. I was going through their with a slight lift in 4th and down to third for the left hander. The only things I saw different between the two of us: I was flat on the gas (in 5th gear) all the way up the hill and was early on the gas in several spots. Minor.

Chris,

Typically I try to get the fender pods into the video (mount camera a tad higher) so you have a better perspective on what the nose of the car is doing compared to the corner (less "sky" in the video)

Too freakin cool.

B
Brad Roberts
Track map.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 29 2005, 09:56 AM)
Track map.

i'm not sure about that map ...

unless we were supposed to ingore the long straight and go through the hot pits ...
biggrin.gif Andy
Brad Roberts
If they cant figure out they shouldnt be on the pit lane....

B
TravisNeff
Brad how bout blowing that map up a little, and indicate where the line should have been? Would make a little more sense to the beginners to visualize.
Brad Roberts
Let me see what I can do. I may have to break it down into sections and post them seperately.

BTW: nice car Travis. I have always like the Enkei wheels.

B
TravisNeff
Thanks Brad, on both accounts!
I got approval from my instructor on a few sections on the track so I knew I was close (the longer turns) but in the twistier sections I was unsure of my line.

I like the enkeis now that they are black, just need to score another centercap and I'll be set.
SirAndy
doesn't work for me, now i'm down to 1.6 KB/s ... estimated 9 hour download, and i'm on a fast connection!

wacko.gif Andy
J P Stein
I got it in bout an hour.

Your car sounds gud, Chris and you were very smooth.
The shifting seemed ..very deliberate....are you babying the trans?.....BTW, get a haircut laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
JP,

He didnt know it, but his Rennshifter was loose where the two bolts pass through the stick. I tightened them after this run.

Travis,

I broke down the track into large .jpg sections, but I'm having a hard time with PSP drawing the lines. It is something I could easily do on a whiteboard.. but having hell on the pics I pulled.

Still trying.

Download only took 45min.

B
campbellcj
I think I've probably always shifted kinda slow, having driven 901 trans in street cars for like 13 years. But it is emphasized in the video due to the crappy throttle response caused by the farked-up carb, plus the loose shift rod issue if we hadn't tightened it before this run (I don't remember) gave me a "long shifter" upgrade for a while.

I'll be at the big track on 5/11 and will play with some different camera positions and settings. Don't expect any 1:21 laps from me, though... (downloading that Dwain Dement video right now)...if I even crack under 1:40 I'll be grinning.
Brad Roberts
The 11th huh idea.gif I'll know May4th when my next court date is. *Maybe* I'll be down there. I would like to help you get a "final" sort on the car. Or *maybe* we can meet at Buttonwillow in the near future.

B
Howard
Looking might fine on short track, Chris. Looks like you were doing ~1:17 without the car fully sorted.
Brad Roberts
That was on the worn out Kuhmo's. clap.gif He did really good. Wish Trekkor was in town so he could see the video before the thread gets buried. I feel bad for the guy.

B
Dead Air
QUOTE (balljoint @ Apr 29 2005, 04:31 AM)
Downloaded in about 5 minutes at 8:15 AM EST. Very nice.

Downloaded in 1:38. Love the sound!!
Trekkor
I feel bad for the guy.

Feel bad for the fact that I have over forty-five minutes of in-car footage from my car that makes me puke.

Shots of the hills and sky, with awesome motor revving to taunt me. And of course Brad yelling at me from the passenger seat to *drive* the car. biggrin.gif

Why didn't I check the video between sessions? Why? barf.gif

KT
anthony
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Apr 28 2005, 10:45 PM)
oh my, 13.9KB/Sec ....

huh.gif Andy

I got 80KB/sec using a download manager. I've never understood why some sites will only give you 10KB/sec for a single thread but then allow you 7 simultaneous threads giving you 7X the throughput.

jeff
driving.gif Thanks for the video! I wish you could have ridden along with me i never could figure out that rear section of the track wacko.gif Sure was fun though !! biggrin.gif I've been working on the 914 every day since that event ,thanks again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.