Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Trunk - How to patch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lsintampa
So, I don't weld and I'd be worried anyway to weld with the gas tank being right there.

Side.... My grandfather died in a self-inflicted explosion cutting up cars for the local salvage yard way back in the day - got to close to fuel tank with the cutting torch - boom. BTW his nickname was Smokey because he always smoked a pipe.

Anyway back to the holes left from the A/C delete... short of welding how else can those cavities be dealt with?

BTW the evaporator coil unit that came out of that opening is available if anyone is interested.

I've never used fiber glass, but I'm not sure it would hold up.

Holes are too big for JB Weld av-943.gif

Thanks,

Len

Steve
Two choices... buy a louvered plate from Patrickmotorsports.com or put a want add in the classifieds for one cut out from a donor car. Take car to shop and have it welded in. Call around. You might even find a muffler shop to do it.
SirAndy
Restoration Design has the floor replacement panel.

Buy it and find someone who can weld it in for you, it's the only right way to do this ...
shades.gif
VaccaRabite
When I did it I posted in the classifieds that I was looking for a front trunk floor panel out of a parts car.

I got one, cleaned it up, and welded it in.

At the time RD did not have the panels. These days that is the direction I would go as it saves you all the time spent in clean up.

Zach
GregAmy
Tangerine repaired mine with a replacement panel.
ottox914
OR this car is begging for a subie conversion, and you are now radiator ready.
ThePaintedMan
That's something I can accomplish for you in a weekend Len. I'm a little backed up with side work for the moment, but let me know if you're interested.
cgnj
You're in Florida, sure gets muggy.
Is this a dpd or vpc unit?
lsintampa
QUOTE(cgnj @ Jan 10 2017, 03:35 PM) *

You're in Florida, sure gets muggy.
Is this a dpd or vpc unit?

Fairly sure it was DPD - only the trunk evaporator unit is left... compressor and all the other parts are long gone. Didn't want to leave those holes in the trunk, but it's time has come.

malcolm2
You might find a trade school or high school industrial arts shop to weld it in for you. They can drain the tank, leave the top off for a day or so and the fumes will be gone.

I don't see any other way but to buy a RD panel or scrap panel and have someone weld it in. I guess you could use rivets stirthepot.gif
ndfrigi
I received this yesterday and Chris (member here) is asking $28 for shipping cost and I sent him $40 and I think it is worth more. Well thanks again Chris! I'm sure there will another member here that can provide you a good used front trunk floor. If not Restoration Design has the exact piece.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.