Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCC 2006 Car Build
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dan10101
Just an idea for next year. Take it, build on it, toss it in the trash..

I just thought it would be cool to build a car for someone or auction it off for charity. We could gather parts before hand. Put it together in 24 hours or so.

Could even do a build-off with 2 cars.

Drag race it for pinks, or steal someones car out from under the junk in their garage and 'overhaul' it.. Oh, I've been watching too much Discovery Channel...
scruz914
Great idea! Pulling it off might be tough but doable. Members from different areas could be responsible for different sections of the car. Engine, transmission, body, front end/steering, brakes, interior, etc. The body could go through several groups of members that would work on each step: cleaning/blasting, metal repair, paint prep, paint. The body would get transported to the next group once a step is completed. Everyone meets up in a central location for a weekend of assembly. Local TV, radio, and newspapers could cover the build which would promote the auction and charity. PP, AA, GPR, and others might donate parts. It could be sold on Ebay to get maximum exposure.

You know, this could turn into a new Discovery Channel show.

-Jeff
redshift
QUOTE (dan10101 @ Apr 29 2005, 03:12 AM)
I just thought it would be cool to build a car for someone....

Could even do a build-off with 2 cars.

I was thinking the same thing!

I want them both very stockish looking, but flared, one black, one silver. The silver one needs chrome all over, but you can get creative with the black one. Flared, with 8 inches of rubber all around.. make the silver one 8x16s, and the black one a little wider..

God! This place rocks!

M
GWN7
So Miles, what part of the car would you want to be responsible for? biggrin.gif

You know you would actually have to show up wink.gif biggrin.gif
redshift
I'll buy the gas!

smile.gif

Or, I could just bring a cornbread 914..

M
VegasRacer
QUOTE (redshift @ Apr 28 2005, 11:50 PM)
I want . . . very stockish looking, but flared,  black, with 8 inches of rubber all around..

I've already got one like that. biggrin.gif QuAcK

You friend,
The CW.
skline
That is a good idea, I had thought about that last year for Jared when he left. Build a car for him to drive at the WCC, which is what my 74 was for. Unfortunatly he wasnt able to return in time so I drove it instead. I didnt quite get it done as much as I wanted. I am still waiting for the paint to arrive. We should do this though, it could be fun to watch the progress. I am in if we do it. We could have another BBQ or something like that to get our part of it done.
ThinAir
The Arizona Bus Club does something similar each year at their annual Jerome Jamboree in Setember. Next year will be 14 years that someone has left the Jamboree with a "new to them" pre-1968 split-screen bus. One year it was structurally restored, but still in primer. In recent years it's been pretty much fully restored. This year's winner bought $10 worth of raffle tickets. As far as I know, this is the only VW related organization/event that does this.

As far as participation is concerned, the Arizona Bus Club is pretty much the Phoenix Bus Club. Although the Raffle Bus has gone off to Yuma or Lake Havasu City for some of the work, for the most part it gets worked on at one member's house in Phoenix by whomever can show up. I'd love to participate, but it is usually in the evenings and so it's not realistic since I'm 2-1/2 hours away.

One thing for sure, it raises a lot of money for the Arizona Children's Burn Camp so it benefits a lot of kids who need these services. It also gets a very big crowd out for the Jamboree each year (you have to be present at the drawing to win).

p.s. - I'll be back again next September, hoping to finally win my bus!
boxstr
Hey this is a great idea, Dan Root can build one of his sixes out of a CAMP 914 roller. Then sell raffle tickets, sounds good, I 'll some one else take it from here.
CCLINPNWC2006
GWN7
Check with your local lottery commission and see what regulations are required.

I looked into a lottery for a fund raiser for a engine (T4) awhile ago and most lottery commissions have a agreement not to sell tickets in each others geographic areas (read no internet sales). The charity who is the benefactor could loose their licence if there was out of state sales.

If tickets were sold in one region (at the event) or in the state where the lotttery licence was issused there dosen't seem to be a problem. You can go to a state and buy tickets, but not sell them out of state. Silly rule. You can have someone buy you a ticket while they are in the state where the lottery licence is held, but no one who is on the licence can sell tickets out of state.

There is also the income tax requirement to look into. You may have to declaire the winnings on your income tax the next year. The donator can claim the value as a charity tax deduction.

*Note see your accountant for full details

sounds like a good idea beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
sounds like a badass idea!! I doubt I'll make WCC, but I'd pay to see a well done video of it!

very cool for a competition /auction for charity and 914 exposure
dinomium
hmmmmmmmmm I have a '70 car that is almost ready for the sawzall! No title and stuff...
Mrs. K
wub.gif I love it!!!!! Great idea, and maybe a way for me to finally acquire "my" 914! laugh.gif

Lisa clap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.