Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Indiana is now as stupid...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
51 - 46 Indiana passes Daylight Savings Time to start in 2006. National Hiway Transportation yada yada yada to convene hearings to determine which time zone we should be in. Right now we are 40 minutes off, if we stay in the Eastern time zone we'll be an hour and 40 minutes off all year. If we go Central then we'll just be 40 minutes off all year.

Central seems to make the most sense...for a number of reasons:
1. Same as the closest Major city - Chicago
2. Most flexible time to deal with East or West coast (1 hour off from New York, 2 from LA)

anyway...we now get to change our clocks like the rest of the country! headbang.gif

Hang in there Arizona!!!
Flat VW
Daylight Savings Time is the last thing we need here. chairfall.gif

Come July, believe me, we all pray for that sun to go down. pray.gif

John
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE (seanery @ Apr 29 2005, 07:02 AM)
51 - 46 Indiana passes Daylight Savings Time to start in 2006. National Hiway Transportation yada yada yada to convene hearings to determine which time zone we should be in. Right now we are 40 minutes off, if we stay in the Eastern time zone we'll be an hour and 40 minutes off all year. If we go Central then we'll just be 40 minutes off all year.

Central seems to make the most sense...for a number of reasons:
1. Same as the closest Major city - Chicago
2. Most flexible time to deal with East or West coast (1 hour off from New York, 2 from LA)

anyway...we now get to change our clocks like the rest of the country! headbang.gif

Hang in there Arizona!!!

Weclome to the madness. Just remember Spring ahead & fall back and you should be fine laugh.gif
seanery
I've done it before, but it's stoooooooopid
AZ914
Whats with the 40 minutes off deal? I don't get it...

I heard they are thinking of extending DST a month on each end, thinking it will save on heating costs, etc.. blink.gif
seanery
well, there is a theoretical geographic time thingy (I don't have the technical info) but it basically means "If there were no time zones this would the the accurate Time of Day for your geographic area". I read about it somewhere, but can't find the info now.
Tom Perso
All you Hoosiers do is complain, complain...

laugh.gif

Your Northern Neighbor...

Tom
(Kalamazoo, MI). No, I haven't seen Elvis yet.
Qarl
Correction.... Indiana is now as smart as the rest of the country.

Don't you think it's stupid that we have to keep track of two states that don't comply with rest of the states.

Case in point: We had a conference call scheduled. One doctor was in Arizona. He missed the call by an hour because he forgot the remaining 10 people on the call had adjusted for daylight savings time.

chair.gif
seanery
If everyone else jumped off the bridge would you?

bad argument. biggrin.gif
balljoint
It's funny but here, you hear twice a year how people want to just forget about daylight saving time all together. I think that it is only S-A-S-K-A-T-C-H-E-W-A-N (for Brad) that does not use DST in Canada. I keep thinking that one day we will just forget about it and here is your state now adopting the practice. Weird.
914GT
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Apr 29 2005, 08:10 AM)
Daylight Savings Time is the last thing we need here. chairfall.gif

Come July, believe me, we all pray for that sun to go down. pray.gif

John

I work everyday with people in all US timezones, and Europe/Asia. It's a pain in the ass having to deal with this time change twice a year. Either everybody should do it or nobody. Half the people in Arizona are idiots in that they actually think going to DST adds another hour of sunlight to the day, like we are slowing the Earth's rotation or something.
ThinAir
QUOTE (seanery @ Apr 29 2005, 08:02 AM)
Right now we are 40 minutes off, if we stay in the Eastern time zone we'll be an hour and 40 minutes off all year. If we go Central then we'll just be 40 minutes off all year.

Reminds me of an old George Carlin routine -

"It's 9 O'Clock in Chicago, 7 O'Clock in Los Angeles, 6:42 in Baltimore and time for the news!"
Or something like that.

Anyway... although I agree that Arizona is wise not to jump off this cliff, it isn't as simple as it seems. We have indian reservations here in Northern Arizona that DO switch to DST. So... right now it's 9:27 a.m. in Flagstaff and I think it's 10:27 a.m. in Tuba City, just 60 miles away (or whatever time New Mexico is on).
ChrisFoley
Its Saving, not Savings!
and yes I think it is a dumb idea.
Brando
QUOTE (seanery @ Apr 29 2005, 07:49 AM)
well, there is a theoretical geographic time thingy (I don't have the technical info) but it basically means "If there were no time zones this would the the accurate Time of Day for your geographic area". I read about it somewhere, but can't find the info now.

Greenwich Mean Time.

Most servers use this (-8 for PST, -5 for EST, +3 for China [i think] etc) as an accurate way to chart timezones. Along the globe it's not as easy as 5 hour's difference, 3 hour's difference, etc. There becomes a point that the further you move along the circumference of the earth's surface that the time is different. I don't know the specifics though.
redshift
Welcome to 1949!

smile.gif

M
Qarl

Depends on the bridge!

confused24.gif
TravisNeff
I like no time change in AZ, my big bosses back in CO have to figure out what time it is here all the time, so half the year I may look like an early arrival, or stayin late to get the job done the other half.
ewdysar
Somebody mentioned that Europeans observe DST, but at least in Amsterdam, they change a week ahead of us. Catches every year, I've got a conference call every Wednesday morning that involves our Amsterdam office and we all forgot again the week before we changed... headbang.gif

Eric

Pnambic
*groan*

Half the people here in Indiana also think we're gaining an hour at night or something. IDIOTS.

The only good argument for going to DST is that Indianapolis International Airport lost a very big contract with a very large air carrier a few years ago who would have made Indy their home base, all because they would have had to pay out the nose to modify their computer systems to account for the "Indiana time zone situation".

I guess we lost a bunch of jobs cuz of that. But I don't know if this is true or just hearsay.

I was told years ago that we got off of DST cuz farmers here complained that it was too hard on the dairy cows having to wake them up an hour earlier in the Spring... laugh.gif lol2.gif slap.gif
redshift
QUOTE (seanery @ Apr 29 2005, 12:10 PM)

bad argument. biggrin.gif

If it were the bridge to the 14th century, yes. I would jump into Hell, to keep from living in the 14th century.

M
jgiroux67
Ha, I had no clue that some states didnt do it. I thought it was just something people did around the world.
Seems like that should be something that they teach in highschool, but I guess not.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.