Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mahle vs Fuch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newto914s
I searched, but couldn't find a cut-to-the-chase comparision of these two.
I'm running a 76 that is mostly stock and has got crappy Rivs on it. I do a ton of Highway driving, but hope to do some AX in the near future. So I've been planning on a wheel change for a while.
What I've read;
Fuchs are a little lighter, but have been known to crack. Also, everyone got them.
Mahles weight a couple more pounds, but no ones seen a cracked one, and not everyones running them( I don't even know what they would look like on a 75-76 car)

Oh, I'm talking soli 4 lug(gasburners would kick a*s, but I'd spend more on the conversion and wheels than I did on my car)

Thanks for the input guys
Samson
skline
I like the Mahle wheels personally, I had them on my last car. I have never seen them crack or break like the Fuchs but I have heard from others that they can like any other wheel. They came on many 75 and 76 cars, all LE cars had them and some other 74 models. The Fuchs are the lightest wheel in 4 lug. If you look at some of the WCC photos you will see some on the cars. The weight difference is not really a factor in my opinion for any type of driving you may do.
Brad Roberts
The only time I have seen a cracked one... when they pulled the car off the curb.. laugh.gif

Mahle's will be cheaper..

Cut to the chase:

Buy what you can afford. Neither has an adavtage over the other besides price.

Oh.. and after 17 years of 914's, I have seen 1 cracked 914 wheel.

B
Rusty
Mahles are a nice attractive wheel. Properly painted, I think they're very respectable. Even with the paint stripped, they have a textured finish. You won't get the bling factor that you will from a set of polished Fuchs.

-Rusty smoke.gif
JWest
Aluminum is an age limited material and will eventually fatigue and crack. When the stress level goes up, the number of cycles that cause cracks to form goes down. As long as the stress level is kept low, the number of cycles can be so large that it is considered "forever."

The forged Fuchs have a much higher fatigue limit than the cast Mahles - only consideriing the material. BUT, they do not have the same geometry, and that is more of a factor than the material to crack resistance.

That said, for your use it does not matter. You do not know the history of the used wheels so any analysis is moot because you do not have past stress and cycle data.

In the end, get the best deal on the wheels you like best.

If you want bling - I think polished Mahles look REALLY good!
newto914s
So no real differances than. Just a matter of taste and an extra bill or 2.
I figured their would be a more sprited debate over this, but I guess more about your rubber than your johnson wink.gif

Thanks
Brad Roberts
*Sometimes* we like to keep it simple. You'll be happy with either purchase.

Here is how I look at it:

I dont really care what wheels are on the car as long as they fit under the fenderwells and allow me to get the largest tire I can under "given" fender. I cant see them while I'm driving... laugh.gif

B
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (newto914s @ Apr 29 2005, 01:51 PM)
So no real differances than. Just a matter of taste and an extra bill or 2.
I figured their would be a more sprited debate over this, but I guess more about your rubber than your johnson wink.gif

Thanks

nah, you want a spirited debate ask which is better: carbs or stock FI... that brings them out everytime, and never settles anything...

mahles and fuchs both look good if done right... rivieras... not so much.
Bleyseng
I like the Green Mahles on a White 914 or just plain 4 bolt Fuchs on any 914.

biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE (James Adams @ Apr 29 2005, 10:46 AM)

The forged Fuchs have a much higher fatigue limit than the cast Mahles - only consideriing the material. BUT, they do not have the same geometry, and that is more of a factor than the material to crack resistance.

Huh? Tell that to an aircraft engineer.

Cast (fake) Fuch are about half again as heavy as real Fuch and are not as strong. So, given the same "geometery"
50% more material is required to approach the same strenght.
and they still are not and never will be as malable.

I've never seen a broken Fuch.....seen some bent ones, tho.

JWest
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Apr 29 2005, 07:36 PM)
Huh? Tell that to an aircraft engineer.

Cast (fake) Fuch are about half again as heavy as real Fuch and are not as strong. So, given the same "geometery"
50% more material is required to approach the same strenght.
and they still are not and never will be as malable.

I guess my years as an aircraft engineering stress analyst on high performance fighters don't count? I better tell that manufacturer to ground all those jets...

OK, I should not have said "more" - the geometry is AS important as the material in this situation.

My point is not to cast a Fuch - my point is that the Mahle was designed with a casting in mind (it's heavier than a Fuch) and therefore it can have perfectly adequate fatigue resistance when used under normal driving conditions (not smacking a curb). We are talking about putting available wheels on a stock '76 that does mostly highway driving - not trying to get the ultimate strength from the lightest wheel that could theoretically exist. Not everyone is Ricky Racer. wink.gif

Cast an exact Fuchs shape and you are depending on any extra saftey margin built into the original design to not have a serious problem (I would not trust it).
Bleyseng
I had a fuch with a crack in a spoke. It wasn't bent nor curb damaged that I could see.
rhodyguy
wasn't there a thread about the centering ring on the front hubs and incompatiblity with the mahles? or was it the pedrennis? pull one of your lugs bolts to ensure the longer ones are in place. if you have short ones (for steel wheels) the longer ones need to be sourced.

k

J P Stein
OK, I'll go with "as". Some times Ricky Racer pics nits. Yours were hanging out there.... biggrin.gif
JWest
QUOTE (J P Stein @ Apr 30 2005, 11:05 AM)
OK, I'll go with "as". Some times Ricky Racer pics nits. Yours were hanging out there.... biggrin.gif

dry.gif wacko.gif biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Apr 30 2005, 07:57 AM)
wasn't there a thread about the centering ring on the front hubs and incompatiblity with the mahles? or was it the pedrennis? pull one of your lugs bolts to ensure the longer ones are in place. if you have short ones (for steel wheels) the longer ones need to be sourced.

k

It was Early Pedrini my set witha date stamp of 1972 are not hub centric.
I got one more set of long lugs if'n you need them.

all three alloy wheels require long lugs. Fuchs will not even allow a short bolt to catch a thread. The general rule is 8 to 9 turns minimum. and not so much as to protrude out the back of the hub in the rear more than a thread or two.

I got Studs because the car came with them. I will NEVER go back to bolts.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.