Full Version: ELECTRICAL MAYHEM!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
redshift
New problem, never had this exactly..

Cranked up this AM, and discovered whenever I turn on:

Headlights
Wipers
Fresh Air Fan

The fuel gauge dives... or climbs about an 1/8th tank...

Ground... where?

The last thing I did yesterday evening was wash it with high pressure, drive 10 miles, and park.

As not to color your opinions, I'll call that the important details..

Thanks, ya'll.

M
redshift
wavey.gif

I DON'T HAVE FOREVER!

M
balljoint
Water infiltration. Get out your hairdryer and blow, er, dry out under /behind your dash.
redshift
Hot sun, and trying it now... keep the ideas coming!

Thanks!

M
Joe Bob
Have a beer...drive it tomorrow. beerchug.gif
94teener
You don't have an electrical short, just an intermittent fluctuation in conductivity in
the instrument power line source, probably caused at fuse S9, or the fuel tank indicator
external circuitry . Get in that sucker and drive it, sooner or later it will settle down.

94teener
redshift
Excellent... that is what I needed.. I don't have very much of a clue on the electric side.. thanks.. and if any other ideas pop-up...

Saying POP-UP on the internet... is that like FIRE in a crowded building?

smile.gif

M
bd1308
i agree with 94teener...mine shifted more than 1/8th tank, but when i drive everything either breaks while i'm driving down I-65 or everything gets better. I'm working on a ethernet to D-Jet adapter for you miles....
Rotary'14
I think you have a ground problem. Double check where the guages ground to the body and make sure it's not corroded.

or

Your alternator is barely putting out enough juice to keep things happy when you crank up your AM (any amps?). Try revving your car at a standstill to 1.8~2k rpm and see what your guage does.

-Rob
redshift
I correct my earlier post.. nothing changes when I turn on the blower.

The only things that affect the fuel gauge (the only evidence of any problem) are the turn signals (very very very slight..) the wipers (wow... a good damn bit) and the headlights.

When the headlight motors operate, the fuel gauge goes up, when the lights are on, it goes down.

It's not the alt-potater. And no GEN light, ever, even when it's colder than ice, and idling around 25rpm.. wink.gif

Gremilin, BE GONE!

M
GWN7
Check for loose connections, corroded fuses.

Thought you were blowing it u? wink.gif
redshift
I was, then I got sidetracked with that mandolin thing, then it just started destroying what's left of itself.

smile.gif

M
swood
Flux capacitor. Definitely the flux capacitor. Happens to me all the time. biggrin.gif
redshift
Where do the gauges ground?

smile.gif

I Aerokroiled everything, and wrenched it all, car smells like... like.. SHIT!

M
redshift
Could the Admin, whom I have naked pictures of, (posing with an oddity of nature.. no names... MJ) please nail this, until someone comes up with answers that don't require me getting dirty, using tools, or getting in/near/on/under my car.

Thanks, "AC"...

M
redshift
It has to have been like 3-4 minutes, and I don't see a hammer... A**** C**...

dry.gif

M
mihai914
The ground point for the whole dash is near the the handle to pop the front hood, a lump of brown wires and a 10 mm nut.

Mihai
redshift
Thanks, please remind me to have the local club member of your choice treat you to dinner.

M
iamchappy
Miles when you find the answer let me know, i have been living with the same problem for two years, it is very annoying. confused24.gif
redshift
Oh crap! blink.gif

I won't last! I'll go insane! I am already there. smile.gif What's the status on your car, buddy?

Could any electro wiz tell me if a somewhat faulty ignition switch, or a soon to be faulty wiper motor could be the culprit?

M
iamchappy
Blowed up kinda,
Got it stripped down to the short block and found a local shop to fix it for 1500 so Im going to let them do the bottom and leave the top half as is, the engine only had about 45,000 on the rebuild so if I fix the bottom it will be easy to do a top rebuild when the time comes to put in some boost friendly piston and cylinders. I hope to be up and running in a few months, I am also working on the body at this time and have decided to get that part of the car which has been neglected put back into shape.
balljoint
Look Lois, here's the deal. You can't keep getting yourself into these precarious predicaments primarily due to the fact that Superman has a lot of work to do fixing other people's 914's. So is your fuel gauge still hopping around or what? Go fill up your gastank and see what happens. Pull your wiper motor off, clean up the mounting points, get a goood ground, and then tell us that it is not the problem.
mihai914
QUOTE (balljoint @ Apr 30 2005, 05:31 PM)
Go fill up your gastank and see what happens. Pull your wiper motor off, clean up the mounting points, get a goood ground, and then tell us that it is not the problem.

Since you have to pull the gas tank to get good access at the wiper motor, it's kind of a PITA with a full tank.
markb
Let's see, wipers, fresh air blower, and cig lighter all work off of the same fuse. Check there. Clean everything on the fuse box. Pull the connections at the base of the steering column & check the connectors for the wipers & turn signal stalks. Why it affects the fuel gauge, I don't know. There shouldn't be any wires in common, except maybe the hot wire, totally different gauges. Check the connections on the gauges themselves. The power wires jump from one thing to the next, maybe something is crossed. There, that ought to keep you busy for a while. smile.gif
balljoint
QUOTE (mihai914 @ Apr 30 2005, 08:17 PM)
Since you have to pull the gas tank to get good access at the wiper motor, it's kind of a PITA with a full tank.

Oh, well, umm, sure, okay. Just throwing suggestions out there. Order of operations was never my strong suit. wacko.gif
redshift
Using my powers of remote sight, I reached around the crap, to the blower motor, and felt all around back there... and I cleaned the fusebox, and all the ground points, everywhere, and I think I don't care... I'll just put a piece of black tape over the fuel gauge... like I did over my oil light.

M
balljoint
smilie_pokal.gif

Problem solved.
Dead Air
QUOTE (redshift @ Apr 29 2005, 08:00 AM)

The last thing I did yesterday evening was wash it with high pressure, drive 10 miles, and park.

[QUOTE]
You rode it hard and put it away wet!
redshift
lol

It's a black su-bubba-marine.. that's what you do with it.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.