Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bumper upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbpeters
I am considering buying a 1975 1.8 L 914 that has those hideous black rubber bumpers. Is it possible to find / source the chrome appearance package bumpers and will they fit on this 1975 model? And if so, what can i expect to spend on both front and rear bumpers?
mepstein
It's a common upgrade. Plan on $1k for chrome bumpers that are in good shape. &500 for rubber bumper tops. $100 for fog light grills and $150 for fog lights and switch or get the non fog light grills. Also need some rear license plate lights $50 and 4 rubber dog bones to mount the bumpers $25.
bigkensteele
No disrespect meant by this reply, but if this is your first question about this car, then you have a lot to learn about 914s and this car in particular.

Quick answer: yes you can change the bumpers.

Important answer: you need to find out how badly the car is rusted. They were not galvanized from the factory, so all of them have rusted to some degree unless they have lived their entire life in Arizona in dry storage. You are in KC, so I am assuming the car is as well. You would be best served to find someone from this site who knows what to look for to go look at the car for you to determine if it is worth purchasing.

Rust in these cars can potentially make them not only unsafe to drive but cost-prohibitive to repair. There are many here, myself included, that bought their first 914 because they really liked them and bought their second one because the first one was a rusted-out turd.
Coondog
Lots of Threads on this subject and yes chrome bumpers fit perfectly.

I did this to my 75 a couple years ago so here is my parts list

Two repo bumpers High performance house
Two bumper tops. HPH
Four dog bones HPH
Rear chrome tow plug HPH
Two license plate lights. HPH
Two license plate clips. Auto Atlanta
Front spoiler. HPH

Two fog light grills. Automotion
8 fog light grill screws. Auto Atlanta
2 pilot fog lights. Camp 914

I will let you price this out. Yes I could have saved 50% by buying used. Your biggest savings will be bumpers, HPH gets 1,200 a piece. I have seen perfect bumpers sale for 600 on this site, and you want perfect chrome bumpers.

Buy your Fogs from Camp 914 as he throws in his custom made brackets. E Bay and Amazon are cheaper but you will have to make the brackets and that's a PITA.
You do not have to cut the drip rail....think that's what it's called to install front bumper.

Good luck

Before
Click to view attachment

After
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
That is such a terrific improvement. smilie_pokal.gif
steuspeed
Clean chrome bumpers are getting hard to find. Condition will determine price $100-$800. Some have extra holes for bumper tits which you probably don't want. Repo bumper tops and fog light grills you can get from 914rubber.
76-914
I really don't understand the disdain towards black bumpers unless it is the weight or the more contemporary look. I have a 75 & a 73 and I like both equally. confused24.gif BTW, the current COTM has them and it is a beauty! beerchug.gif
matthepcat
^^Style is subjective, however in my rotary conversion there was a marked improvement in both handling and go pedal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.