Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Deck Lid Lifted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mmascari
My rear deck lid is lifted on the drivers side so I assume the hinge is in the wrong position. It appears to have been re-welded at some point. Can someone suggest a shop in Norther California that can fix this for me? Thanks, Mark
rgalla9146

I can't recommend a shop in your area but can lend some experience to keep in mind.
The hinge mount has been repaired before ?
That's because access to weld in that area on either side is difficult and most often done 'upside down' and with poor preparation.
Both torsion bars should be released.
The engine lid should be removed for prep but then re-installed to verify gaps.
Kill me for saying it but for the best appearance and permanent result the engine should come out.
Maybe schedule it to happen when other 'engine out' work is necessary ?
IMHO
pt_700
one of mine came off. local muffler shop was able to weld it back for $20, took him all of 5 minutes. it helped that it was easy to see exactly where it had been.

re-mounting the torsion bars, now that was a b*&^h...
7TPorsh
I'm up against this problem myself...my passenger side broke...hoping my muffler guy can weld a new one one. Got a replacement mount from Bruce Stone.
keely444
QUOTE(mmascari @ Jan 13 2017, 08:09 AM) *

My rear deck lid is lifted on the drivers side so I assume the hinge is in the wrong position. It appears to have been re-welded at some point. Can someone suggest a shop in Norther California that can fix this for me? Thanks, Mark

I know a shop in Santa Cruz that welded mine.
ConeDodger
You're a year too late to have Original Customs do the work. He moved from Sonoma to Grand Rapids Michigan last year. There is another solution though. Check JWest Engineering. They have a bolt up solution. I understand it works well...
mmascari
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 13 2017, 02:18 PM) *

You're a year too late to have Original Customs do the work. He moved from Sonoma to Grand Rapids Michigan last year. There is another solution though. Check JWest Engineering. They have a bolt up solution. I understand it works well...

I will have to check this out. I have not seen it yet.
RenoRoger
QUOTE(mmascari @ Jan 13 2017, 03:09 PM) *

I installed the JWest engineering kit on one side. It works well and will never break.
RenoRoger
QUOTE(mmascari @ Jan 13 2017, 03:09 PM) *

I installed the JWest engineering kit on one side. It works well and will never break.
amfab
I did the Jwest thing. It works really well. A bit more work than just tacking back down the original pivot but worth it I think.

-Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.