Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Advice: Front end/steering column shakes a little bit on roughed/un-even road
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ndfrigi
Any idea what are the things I should check? if I drove to a roughed/uneven road I get this little shaking on my front/end or steering column.

new 4 tires and balanced last year and has only less 300 miles driven. It was not aligned last year since the shop where I bought the tires does not want to align it. So I thought the shaking can be fix after alignment.

So today it was aligned but still shaking on roughed or uneven roads.

Thank you!
Dion
Noel, I'm no expert but could this be related to the steering column bushing or bearing
needing replacement.
76-914
Henny Youngman would suggest you don't drive on rough or uneven roads. lol-2.gif av-943.gif Jack up the front on one side, grab the tire at 3 & 6 o'clock and yank it back n forth. If you've a bunch of slack check your tie rods. You may be able to see them moving if sloopy. Grab the tire again but at 6 and 12 o'clock and jerk it to and fro while watching the ball joints. I'm guessing the shocks are snugged up? confused24.gif
jmill
Might be a worn steering coupler.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=Coupler

Steve
Can you move the steering wheel up and down? If so if its a 75 or 76 there is a shim you can buy from Pelican to solve the problem. Earlier car will need a new bearing.
If you can't move the steering wheel up and down then you have some other problem. Loose steering knuckle, bushings, etc.
ndfrigi
Thanks Dion, Kent, John and Steve for your suggestions!
The car is 75. I did check before if I have some movement on my steering column and looks tight but I will check that again. About the steering coupler, If I steer the wheel left and right on a stationary, I can't feel any slack, is that confirm my coupler is fine or I will have to pull out to see the condition?
Haven't replace my tie rod yet but it seems very tight too when I did before the suggestion of Kent. Well since it is old tie rod, maybe I can just upgrade to turbo tie rod now.

Good thing I paid the 3 years alignment warranty.

thanks again and I will update you tomorrow!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.