Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: We made it!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dan_F
Well, we made it back to Camp 914 on Tuesday evening from WCC, stayed overnight in Portland and began the journey home in my first 914. We hit a bad windstorm pretty well the entire way home to Saskatchewan, the chrome windshield trim flew off the car about 2 hours out of Portland. Only other trouble was a loose wire off of the coil which made the car stall on the highway. After we straightened that out everything went well. Drove through some snow in the mountains and the rest of the way home. Was 20C when we left, now it's freezing and there is snow blowing in the air. Luckily it was warm enough that none of it stayed on the ground except for a few ice patches through Crowsnest Pass. All in all, it was a successful drive.

Big thanks to Craig Laughlin at Camp 914. I definitely recommend anyone looking for a car to talk to him. He was lots of help.
Another thanks to Jim Chambers who owned the car and was helpful getting a permit for me in order to drive the car home.

Just one question for Craig... my engine lid says Porsche, but the bill of sale says Porshe. What's the proper spelling? biggrin.gif

The car is a '74 1.8L, signal orange...

Big Bear Burger
Allan
Nice!!! but...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Dan_F
Whoops, hope this works...
Dan_F
I figured I would take some pics while it was clean before we left Camp, good thing 'cause it's dirty now and has snow on it. icon8.gif
tat2dphreak
NICE dude!! more pics!

I love that color too!
Dan_F
This is the only other one I have. Once the weather gets better I should have more hopefully.
Eric_Shea
Beautious smilie_pokal.gif

Welcome beerchug.gif

(The proper spelling is "Volkswagen") laugh.gif
brant
Nice car!

Porsche Rescue
Glad to hear you made it OK. Apparently Craig sold you a replica!
Sorry to hear about the trim. Was it destroyed? The stuff was brand new. As you know, I had the same problem with the trim on my six (used Canadian duct tape to hold it down). I know my problem was the fact that the trim was removed for painting but the windshield was not. Therefore the clips could not be replaced. I thought the windshield looked new on your car so figured it was removed for paint. Clips were probably not replaced.
GWN7
Glad to see you made it home. It was nice to finally put a face to Mikes emails.

Nice car BTW beerchug.gif
Carlitos Way
Nice car!!! Good luck with it!

Carlos
boxstr
Dan I can't "bear" to think that I mispelled Porsche on the bill of sale. It is almost "unbearable" to imagine that the new chrome strips blew off. Sounds like you "bearly" made it home. biggrin.gif
It was nice meeting everyone, including the "man". and to caravan down to WCC with you guys.
Hope you can make it down again for any NW events.
CCLINTHEGUY
Porsche Rescue
Don't you mean CCLTHEGUY?
Dan_F
I wasn't able to check if the trim was destroyed or not, the highway was really busy with several semis behind me and there wasn't anywhere to turn around. I'm pretty sure it was destroyed. Oh well, at least I got the car back and everything else seems good. Even got the new steering wheel installed yesterday. I could "bearly" stand the cold in the driveway though.

Thanks for the comments, guys.
rick 918-S
Hey! Howed you get the green grass! Mines still brown! mad.gif

Nice car! wub.gif
Gint
Great story. Craig and Jim are top notch. Nice looking 914 too!
IVGUY
Hey fellow Canuck Welcome
Nice looking car
I love the Crowsnest Pass just for the twisties and the view. I take the Hope Princeton portion of it whenever I take the Teener to Vancouver. Now if we could just get the chip trucks to go back to using the railroad the road would be perfect.
Dan
Dan_F
Hey! Howed you get the green grass! Mines still brown!  

That pic was taken at Camp 914 in Portland, OR. It was very nice around there, here the grass is brown and a bit white from the last week of cold and snow.
914 has been parked since I got home. sad.gif

I love the Crowsnest Pass just for the twisties and the view. I take the Hope Princeton portion of it whenever I take the Teener to Vancouver. Now if we could just get the chip trucks to go back to using the railroad the road would be perfect.

Sounds like you should caravan with us to Portland for WCC '06...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.