Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '74 1.8 Gas smell in cabin and Fuel pump replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
branston
Getting in the car last weekend the cabin stank of gas, the pump is leaking and dripping on the flexible heater pipe leading into cabin.

Pump seems to have been running okay looking at it I'm sure its been in there a long time. hard to tell if the hose is leaking and wetting the body of the pump. to me it looks like its leaking where the electrical connector enters the pump body.

Is this a typical failure? the pump runs okay.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Pump is out tonight and looking at the $$$ cost of a rebuilt pump I came across this post.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=fuel+pump

The replacement of the old 3 port pump with a new Bosch 69133 seems like a great solution, but here's my question, will the conversion work on the 1.8 engine in my '74?

Just need to know before I dive in and buy one.
Dave_Darling
The FI only cares about getting the right volume and pressure of fuel. So it doesn't matter which pump is supplying the fuel, as long as it supplies enough.

You eliminate the "Y" fitting in the return line.

BTW, get proper fuel-injection hose clamps. The ones you have are designed to cut into the hose, which is not a good idea with high-pressure fuel hose.

--DD
ndfrigi
sir, just replace it with this type of fuel pump. Return line goes directly to the fuel tank to eliminate the y connection from that fuel pump who have now.

Click to view attachment
74ravenna
And while you're at it order new s.s. fuel lines from Tangerine and replace those old plastic lines.
branston
Thank-you for all the responses. A new style pump it is then. Along with stainless lines, new rubber hoses and the correct clamps.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.