Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumper plugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80cap
Ohio no longer requires a front license plate for a historical plate car.
I backdated my car so I would like to find a set of chrome type plugs to fit in the two square holes in the front bumper. Looking for sources!
Thanks Brian headbang.gif
Krieger
I hope Im not sending on a wild goose chase, but Home Depot has one that fits the rear bumper jack hole. Maybe. Nobody has put their 2 cents in...
80cap
Thanks
The front holes are rectangle.
Brian
rgalla9146
I leave the two original snap-in 'nuts' to fill the square holes.
They're almost invisible. Especially if they're new or replated.
80cap
I know I should place this on the classified page but I'll take the hits.
Where do you buy the new nuts?
Thanks Brian
enf2232
As a fellow Ohioan who pays taxes and does not have historic plates. May I remind you that you are only supposed to drive it to and from shows and for maintenance. No "Sunday drives". sunglasses.gif
80cap
The Buckeye State gets it's a very good share of my money! I plan on being very considerate of my fellow Buckeyes tax bill as I will only drive my car on proper venues!
Ps.
There is a proper event ever nice Sunday all Spring, Summer, And Fall.
Brian driving-girl.gif
iamchappy
Go to an Ace hardware or similar store, they have chrome round head bolts, If not try ebay, they sell them for the Harley guys..
Coondog
Rectriangle chrome plugs is what's needed

Click to view attachment
sfrenck
I used round chrome plugs from Lowes - get them big enough to cover the longer width of the rectangle hole, bend over the short side prongs that don't fit.
iamchappy
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jan 16 2017, 06:32 PM) *

Go to an Ace hardware or similar store, they have chrome round head bolts, If not try ebay, they sell them for the Harley guys..

orthobiz
Is it possible this is what you're looking for?

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php?route...y&path=1_11

Paul
BuddyV
QUOTE(enf2232 @ Jan 16 2017, 02:47 PM) *

As a fellow Ohioan who pays taxes and does not have historic plates. May I remind you that you are only supposed to drive it to and from shows and for maintenance. No "Sunday drives". sunglasses.gif

1. Everywhere a 914 shows up turns into a show these days.

2. And once there, it is bound to need some maintenance.

Carry on.

beerchug.gif
Gmanscott55
Got these at Ace Hardware. Cheap and easy solution. Come in various sizes.

Click to view attachment
Krieger
QUOTE(sfrenck @ Jan 16 2017, 05:32 PM) *

I used round chrome plugs from Lowes - get them big enough to cover the longer width of the rectangle hole, bend over the short side prongs that don't fit.

Oh yeah, they are called carriage bolts!
siverson
Easy. Just get a new bumper made without the holes in it!

-Steve

Rand
Oof, you guys and the plug-conundrums. Just go to the hardware store and get a standard one that the round part covers the corners of your rectangle. Guess what? You were both right.

If it's more important than that, get it welded and re-chromed.

TheCabinetmaker
Jeez. Lowes hardware section has chrome plugs in different sizes. Find one the size you need then drill the hole round to fit the plug. Not rocket surgery!
80cap
Thanks guys
Brian
rgalla9146
The part number for the OE 'tapnut' is 999 507 015 02 according to my parts manual.
However, both Stoddard and Quack of Marietta show the wrong part for that number.
(guess who's more expensive ? Stoddard .61 Our saviour George $1.00)
So....attached is a photo of the OE 'tapnut'
Don't drill out the bumper to put in a large plug.
If you ever need to put a plate on again you'll be using some very ugly hardware.
Someone here can probably supply these used or maybe even new.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.