Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Ltd Edition is Restored
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche Doc
Well another Ltd Edition is done. We just finished it this week. I bought on eBay a couple of years ago for $2500 bucks from a guy in Nashville. It took us 9 months to do it due to not working on it all the time. It is #14884 and is in the reg. This is the 4th one I have restored in the last 10 years. I am restoring #14740 now also its panted and has started being assembled.
I have sold #14884 to a lawer here in Knoxville.
Here is some pics.
Jeroen
looks like an awesome resto job!
davep
Way to go Don. smilie_pokal.gif
redshift
WOW! NICE!

If I had it, I'd paint the yellow parts a real dark yellow.. like a black color of yellow.

smile.gif

Looks fabtastico!

M
GaroldShaffer
very nice pray.gif
d7n7master
Any chance that you'll be moving to So. Cal??? Beautiful work!!
kenporacer
Looks great keep up the good work
Flat VW
I was amazed at the rarity of the LEs ath the WCC event.

Also I thought the 914 gods made many cars in that sky/opaque, light, powder blue.

In the old days it seemed a "main color", I only saw a photo of one from the WCC event. idea.gif

That car is sharp.

What other color combos have you done?

Which did you prefer?

John
Porsche Doc
I have done 1 CC and 3 BBs. I have another BB about halfway done. I currently have 5 Ltd's all BBs but after this week I'll be down to 4. The most I have had at 1 time is 6. I sold a CC to one of my customers here in Knoxville about a year and a half ago. The only other one I have sold was a BB to a guy in Nashville but that was 10 years ago. I like them BBs the best.
I like them but I can't have them all!!

PS can I put more than 1 pic per post? If so how!
Porsche Doc
See more pics @

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....threadid=218982
URY914
Hey Porsche Doc,
I've got several pics of your race car at sebring on track. If I can get this stupid scanner to work I'll send them to you.

Glad to see you here.

Paul
Porsche Doc
QUOTE (URY914 @ Apr 29 2005, 09:30 PM)
Hey Porsche Doc,
I've got several pics of your race car at sebring on track. If I can get this stupid scanner to work I'll send them to you.

Glad to see you here.

Paul

Cool Man!
Yea! Get that scanner worken!
Send them to me to accdlr@aol.com.
Thats Charles Gaults car. It is very nice and FAST.
It won the 2002 PCA race their in GT5R .
Its a bad ass 914-6! It's the car I personaly like it the best out of all the race cars we have built. In 2000 at the PCA race at CMP it was given the Best Prepaired Car award. The first time for a 914 in PCA club racing history. We were very proud. Then he won the race.
URY914
And I have a set of your rear extenally adjustable spring kits wraped around my Koni Sports.
You're OK by me, buddy wink.gif

Paul
GWN7
Don,

do you have any higher res pictures of your horizontal fan? I'd like to see how it looks.
Porsche Doc
QUOTE (GWN7 @ Apr 30 2005, 01:11 AM)
Don,

do you have any higher res pictures of your horizontal fan? I'd like to see how it looks.

Hey Bruce,
I don't have any better pics right now.
I will see if I can find the old pics I took 10 years ago and scan them. Next time I put one on I will take some new ones with the dig cam.
grasshopper
wow, thats beautiful! you do great work
Joe Bob
Just for grins....what are you getting for a restored Bumble Bee? Have you submitted your sales numbers to Excellence for the market surveys?

Would help sales and bolster used prices to see what restored cars are going for.....also would help owners who keep getting in the shorts from insurance companies....
Porsche Doc
QUOTE ("Z" @ Apr 30 2005, 12:42 PM)
Just for grins....what are you getting for a restored Bumble Bee? Have you submitted your sales numbers to Excellence for the market surveys?

Would help sales and bolster used prices to see what restored cars are going for.....also would help owners who keep getting in the shorts from insurance companies....

This one went for $15k. The CC I sold a year and a half ago went for $10. The first one I sold over 10 years ago went for $6,500.
Last week I was offered $40k for the two I have with concessive VIN numbers. There going up nicely, and in the last two years they have taken big jumps. AND its about time they are the rarest of the 914s. On eBay you CAN say rare and collectable. I see the day coming them being as much as six's. There gaining respect very quickly as they should!!!
So if you gotem hold on to them if you can!! There moving on up.

Jim Pasha, The Excellence tech question writer lives here in Knoxville has noticed the uptrend too. Word will get back.

Hell! I do good to break even on restoring these cars.
I can't see restoring real ones or somebody doing clones, they would cost the same to do. Right now you can't make a profit on restoring and selling them. To break even on them you have to get the right car, and is not a basket case.
And with the popularity of the now the $2500 dollar car is now $5k and its just gona make it harder.
I just have a thing about these cars. screwy.gif

If any wants one done that they have I will be glad to do it.
I have probably restored more LEs then any one in the world!!
Michael N
smilie_pokal.gif Your car looks awesome.........I am once again inspired to go back to work on mine.
URY914
Here is the flat fan...
Don emailed me this a few years ago.
Porsche Doc
Hey Bruce,
Paul fixed ya up.
ThX Paul!
Eric_Shea
Hey Don,

Beautiful cars, the LE's and the -6 smilie_pokal.gif

Welcome to the board. beerchug.gif
redshift
smilie_pokal.gif Man I love the helicopter!

Really, I have a sickness for anything as such.. whoa.. I am dizzy.

M
Porsche Doc
Here is a pic of the FI engine in the LE. Its a 75 engine and was in the car car when I got it. The orginal one is lost.
It also had dual webbers on it. I replaced the carbs with the proper FI system.
We rebuilt it and put in euro P&Cs and decked the head a little other than that its stock.
We also installed SST exchangers.
Heres a pic with the air cleaner off.
Porsche Doc
Another
tat2dphreak
GREAT lookin' man!! smilie_pokal.gif awesome! I love the bees!
Porsche Doc
Thanks Guys !
If you find a LE that needs restoring, and is for sale Plesae let me know !
Or If you want yours done, call me .
SeeYa!
BIGKAT_83
I Looked at a BB LE yesterday parked at a VW shop with out the engine. Looks like its been setting for some time at the shop,parts in the floor of the car. I wrote down the Vin number to see if it was a real LE and it is only 3 digits off from one of your cars. Must be a real one. I'll give the shop a call and try to track the owner down may want to buy it myself.

Bob smilie_pokal.gif
JeffBowlsby
Hey Bob, tell us more about this find...

We can always use another LE on the Registry...

Pics Man...post pics!
BIGKAT_83
I'm going to check on it. I tried to call the phone ## but got no answer. I'll be back in the area next week.
The car was open and I checked it out pretty good had rust in the hell hole about 2" X 2" the outside of the Long. looked good as far as I could tell. Had some rust bubbles at the sail panels on the pass side,but the paint looked good and the car looked like it was all there FI and other parts were in the trunk which was not locked.
The interior looked great no cracks on the dash or cuts on the door panels. All of the seals looked good and the interior was dry after 2 days of bad rain.

Bob

Porsche Doc
QUOTE (BIGKAT_83 @ May 2 2005, 02:41 PM)
I'm going to check on it. I tried to call the phone ## but got no answer. I'll be back in the area next week.
The car was open and I checked it out pretty good had rust in the hell hole about 2" X 2" the outside of the Long. looked good as far as I could tell. Had some rust bubbles at the sail panels on the pass side,but the paint looked good and the car looked like it was all there FI and other parts were in the trunk which was not locked.
The interior looked great no cracks on the dash or cuts on the door panels. All of the seals looked good and the interior was dry after 2 days of bad rain.

Bob

Yea Man!
Was it in GA?
Let me Know!
Thanks!!!
JohnB
Wow, makes me wish I'd have kept my BB and done the resto on it. I'm close enough to Knoxville I could have hauled it there for the work.

Sure wish I'd have known about you then!
jwalters
biggrin.gif Hi guy, what are the #s for the LE's ??? Are they consecutive???

Just want to see how close one of my 74's is to em..... idea.gif
Porsche Doc
QUOTE (JohnB @ May 3 2005, 05:29 PM)
Wow, makes me wish I'd have kept my BB and done the resto on it.  I'm close enough to Knoxville I could have hauled it there for the work.

Sure wish I'd have known about you then!

Hey John,
Me Too!
I love doing them! There neat.

jwalters
I know there's at least 2 that are consecutive.
Because I have them wink.gif
Here's the best place to learn more.
Jeff Bowlsby 914 LE Registry. Here's the link.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_canam/

Hey Jeff,
What would we call this one!
Black & Viper Green
JohnB
Um, I have a name for it, but I'll be polite.

Actually it's kinda psychodelic in a retro way that screams "I'm into early 80's punk rock" but that's just my 2c.

Maybe it'll grow on me if I keep looking at it.

When's the next one gonna be up for sale?

JeffBowlsby
What would we call this one!

biggrin.gif laugh.gif cool.gif
Porsche Doc
I am now restoring one of the consecutive VIN number car I have. Its BB #14740 and I also own BB # 14739.
It's painted and being assembled.
I don't plan on selling it but when I do I will sell as a pair.
I call them THE TWINS.
I have one more thats worth restoring I just know when. I also have one that is rusty.
The values will get up into the 20s to save it.
But I'm not gona part it out just yet.

I 'm ALLWAYS looking for them to restore. SO if you you find one thats for sale and need of saving PLEASE let me know.

How about Black & Phoenix Red
This is the alternate scheme I like the best.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.