Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: smoking tire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HaraPuzo
hey, found this online this morning.
really like the show, and Matt Farah has a 914 to play with today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsP3Uq5Pwu8...p;feature=share

JmuRiz
Needs a bit of a carb tune and shift linkage work biggrin.gif
Funny he has issues with the shifter, because I have a harder time finding gears on new cars but never in my old cars...must be because I'm used to it.
Mueller
QUOTE(HaraPuzo @ Jan 17 2017, 06:39 AM) *

hey, found this online this morning.
really like the show, and Matt Farah has a 914 to play with today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsP3Uq5Pwu8...p;feature=share

Damn, that is one pretty car!

Great sounding car...luckily no crunch sounds from his terrible shifting.

Coondog
i liked how the motorcycle rider flipped him off just as he was pulling onto the road.
matthepcat
Someone should reach out to the smoking tire with a modified 914. I think he would be surprised.
altitude411
I had to shut it off. Too painful to watch. dry.gif
11tenths
Ditto
RoadGlue
He genuinely had a good time! I'm surprised too. I think I would have blown my lid with the shifting. Kinda surprised the owner didn't pipe up with a little shifting advice.

He should have bumped up the idle a bit too. I mean come on, you're on the Smoking Tire. A little prep would have eased some of the cringe factor...
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Jan 17 2017, 11:51 AM) *

Same here. And for a mint "unrestored" car with what's with the blue paint on the front trunk springs? I didn't watch the whole video, but did they say it was repainted? Also has those fiberglass Porsche lettered rocker panels.
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ Jan 17 2017, 11:28 AM) *

Same here. And for a mint "unrestored" car with what's with the blue paint on the front trunk springs? I didn't watch the whole video, but did they say it was repainted? Also has those fiberglass Porsche lettered rocker panels.

At 10:30 the owner says "It's original everything" but obviously the car has a lot of changes from stock (at least 10 that I see). Makes it hard to believe the car only has 20,000 miles. Nonetheless it's a nice looking car and the owner did a nice job of giving props to the 914.
6freak
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Jan 17 2017, 09:51 AM) *

yep hahahahah biggrin.gif.. someone reach out with something besides four cyclinders icon8.gif ive always hated the bug sound even the hot ones
smile.gif
Rand
This perfectly illustrates why I'll never run carbs. They can't handle altitude changes or quick warm ups. Why in the hell did they start filming before is was ready to run? The first half of the video is a complete embarrassment to everyone and everything related to it.
Madswede
In my opinion, 901 transmissions are deserving of some criticism, but so is that guy's driving and the setup of the 914 driving experience.

Personally, after my only Porsche for quite a few years (a 1992 968) and my beloved lil' trooper (a 1996 Jetta), I found the stock 914 transmission to be one of the hardest things to get used to, and to routinely find the gears with ease. I thought it was simply terrible! Loose as a goose, every single 914 I drove. Eventually, I got one anyway, and I'm quite happy with it but still considering a 915 WEVO ... will see how the new shift linkage helps with the rennshift. Just my opinion ... YMMV.

It may be an age thing. The 901 transmission and shift linkage seemed so bad to me, it was a close second and third only to some other VWs of the day (I'm particularly pointing the finger at the Type 2 bus) and older Chevy pickups of a decade earlier. I wasn't around or wasn't driving when they were new, but some of those late 60s and early 70s vehicles had lot of movement in them that seemed (and still seems, somewhat) foreign to me. Still, after about 20 minutes of practice, I was far better than that guy. He should have practiced on it some more prior to filming! Also, if it really had that low mileage on it, I wouldn't have given it to a total noob on a real mountain road. I'd have had him pulled over and swapped drivers with him for nearly crossing the center line and continually failing to find the correct gears. It's just not worth risking his fumbling around.

He won't be driving my hot rod 914!
wndsnd
I don't think he ever found first gear. Sounded like 3rd, and the fake fuchs do nothing for me.
Andyrew
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jan 17 2017, 09:06 AM) *

Someone should reach out to the smoking tire with a modified 914. I think he would be surprised.

Ive been planning on contacting him when I get just a little closer to completion. I was going to see about other 914's contacting him at the same time because he likes to have a group of cars similar (AKA the Caymans) to review as back to back comparisons.
Andyrew
Hmmm, Maybe I can get him to come up for WCR smile.gif
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 18 2017, 03:15 PM) *

Hmmm, Maybe I can get him to come up for WCR smile.gif

In this video he lays down the ground rules for the One Take series. You have to bring your car to him ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxWDzkwsROk

matthepcat

Do it! Doesn't get much more unique and opposite of stock thank yours.

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 18 2017, 03:11 PM) *

Ive been planning on contacting him when I get just a little closer to completion. I was going to see about other 914's contacting him at the same time because he likes to have a group of cars similar (AKA the Caymans) to review as back to back comparisons.

HaraPuzo
QUOTE(matthepcat @ Jan 19 2017, 09:20 PM) *

Do it! Doesn't get much more unique and opposite of stock thank yours.

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jan 18 2017, 03:11 PM) *

i'd love to see other 914s, conversions etc on that youtube channel. smile.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(altitude411 @ Jan 17 2017, 09:51 AM) *

Ditto
type2man
What a bad way to showcase a 914. That was painful.
whitetwinturbo
..............driver weighing down the 914 by eating too many donuts and sunglasses were creating aero drag ar15.gif
Larmo63
I don't like people driving my 914s, and I certainly wouldn't let that douche anywhere near my cars' driver's seat.

That WAS painful, I couldn't watch it. The motorcyclist did seem to flip him off to, good catch Greg!
mlindner
That was painfull, God, just keep the rev's up and learn the gear location. Very nice car.... so sorry for the sad driver.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.