Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 bodykit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
hyespeed
I have a brand new in the box 914 slant nose and I believe wide body panels. My dad bought it in the 90s and never used it. He passed and I don't know what to do with it. What are the value of these things?
Mueller
QUOTE(hyespeed @ Jan 17 2017, 09:58 AM) *

I have a brand new in the box 914 slant nose and I believe wide body panels. My dad bought it in the 90s and never used it. He passed and I don't know what to do with it. What are the value of these things?

Pictures help, more than one company made those...some uglier than others smile.gif

$100 to $1000

Shipping is usually the deal breaker for many people.
hyespeed
I'm not sure to be honest I'd have to unwrap it. It's literally still wrapped up
hyespeed
Rear corner
hyespeed
Front and rear
hyespeed
I've been told this is the finished kit.
Chris914n6
Rayco, based on Boxster prototype. Retailed a little over $2k in 2000.

Click to view attachment
hyespeed
That's pretty cool, pretty nice kit. Wonder what a new one in the box sells for today.
Chris914n6
I was off. Maybe that's what RH charged to install it confused24.gif

Googled this...

914Club
Mar 11 2010, 02:02 AM
For Sale Rayco Widebody Bodykit for Porsche 914, This is a very rare kit no longer made ($1200 original cost new) that I am selling

to recoup original investment. Full bodykit never installed on a vehicle and in great shape.Also included in sale are brand new MINT

fiberglass hood and trunk that are feather-light around 6 lbs or so ($600 original cost new) ! <<>>I will not budge on the price it

is very firm and non-negotiable $800 CASH and you own it. If interested call 978-660-2913 anytime ask for Dave

Contents:
2 rear quarter panels with side scoops left, right
2 front fenders left, right
1 rear bumper facia
1 front grill/ bumper facia
1 front fiberglass hood
1 rear fiberglass trunk lid

Serious inquires only, I am old school hotrod SCAMMERS Don't even try your crap. Looking to sell to someone who ACTUALLY owns a 914

and wants a very nice bodykit...
hyespeed
I'd be happy to get 1000 for it
Mueller
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 17 2017, 08:03 PM) *

I was off. Maybe that's what RH charged to install it confused24.gif

Googled this...

914Club
Mar 11 2010, 02:02 AM
For Sale Rayco Widebody Bodykit for Porsche 914, This is a very rare kit no longer made ($1200 original cost new) that I am selling

to recoup original investment. Full bodykit never installed on a vehicle and in great shape.Also included in sale are brand new MINT

fiberglass hood and trunk that are feather-light around 6 lbs or so ($600 original cost new) ! <<>>I will not budge on the price it

is very firm and non-negotiable $800 CASH and you own it. If interested call 978-660-2913 anytime ask for Dave

Contents:
2 rear quarter panels with side scoops left, right
2 front fenders left, right
1 rear bumper facia
1 front grill/ bumper facia
1 front fiberglass hood
1 rear fiberglass trunk lid

Serious inquires only, I am old school hotrod SCAMMERS Don't even try your crap. Looking to sell to someone who ACTUALLY owns a 914

and wants a very nice bodykit...

Wonder if he is still sitting on all those parts! Great price if that is something one is interested in.
Andyrew
QUOTE(hyespeed @ Jan 18 2017, 07:12 AM) *

I'd be happy to get 1000 for it

I suspect the sale price will be between 300 and 600. There simply isnt any demand for this type of body kit. People who want a 914 want a 914. No longer are they stuck with a $500 car and want to make something different out of it, as it was in the 90's/00's. Even at that price you'll probably be sitting on it for at least 6 months.
Steve
Love that kit. I think I still have the sales brochure from Rayco somewhere in my collection. I'm not a fan of fiberglass and ended up building a GT clone with steel fenders. I think EBay would be your best bet to sell it. You could try pelican, 914club and our classifieds first.
hyespeed
For 600 I'll just keep it I have a 914 in the garage that's just sitting there who knows
Rob-O
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 17 2017, 03:58 PM) *

Rayco, based on Boxster prototype. Retailed a little over $2k in 2000.

Click to view attachment

Actually, the Rayco kit was around well before the Boxster prototype. I remember it from the mid 80's. I f I remember correctly, it underwent a slight styling change in '88 or so. I believe they changed the nose section a bit and also lengthened the side strakes at that time.

Chalon also did a styling change at that time too. They changed the front nose section from the 911 style air dam type to a 930 style air dam type, adding two small air splitters on each side of the air dam, in front of the front wheel arches and under the (fake) bumper bellows/indicator lights.

I agree with all above. Probably going to difficult to sell those at the moment. I think the ship has passed for 914's whose bodies are highly modified in a way that doesn't resemble something the factory did at some point or another.
hyespeed
I also have a Audi 5000 trans axle sitting in the garage
brant
QUOTE(hyespeed @ Jan 18 2017, 12:48 PM) *

I also have a Audi 5000 trans axle sitting in the garage

I used to lust after a Rayco kit
and had many phone conversations with the manufacture back in the mid 80's
I still have a trunk lid with one of their spoilers on it
I remember 3 different nose styling configurations
yours is the last that I'm aware of

your going to collect A LOT of dust on those parts
I agree, the body kit mentality has passed for these cars
maybe some fierro guy will be your next market

like the stock market... they went down
but unlike the market, I don't think they will ever climb up again

if you love it great!
use it...

don't expect it to appreciate
expect to spend at least 10K on install and paint
and also to depreciate the car they are put on by another 10K
hyespeed
I work in body/paint but if that's the case I'll toss it.0
brant
didn't realize you work in body and paint
so except for your time, the install cost goes way down

but any body kit is still going to greatly depreciate a stock 914 these days.
PlantMan
QUOTE(hyespeed @ Jan 18 2017, 01:12 PM) *

I work in body/paint but if that's the case I'll toss it.0

Maybe pickup a salvaged car for cheap and slap the kit on it. Could be a fun project.
boxsterfan
Find a cheap 914 (perhaps one that was originally a 1.8 or 1.7L car) and slap the Rayco kit on it. Then put a Suby motor in it. Bet it would be a fun car.
hyespeed
Possibly I just have too many projects at the time and best bet would probably be just to sell it.
hyespeed
Well if anyone is interested make an offer. Thanks.
kenshapiro2002
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Jan 18 2017, 05:56 PM) *

Find a cheap 914 (perhaps one that was originally a 1.8 or 1.7L car) and slap the Rayco kit on it. Then put a Suby motor in it. Bet it would be a fun car.

Like this?
windforfun
GLWTS. IMHO, that kit is a wee bit obsolete. To put that on a cheap 914 means that the car is a rust bucket. It's like putting lipstick on a pig. I'd rather have an intelligent friendly pig assuming I have a farm. Those kits just reduce the value of the car especially if the car requires major restoration to begin with. All the cheap 914s require tons of overhaul.

dry.gif dry.gif dry.gif
windforfun
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Feb 9 2024, 04:21 PM) *

Like this?

So what's this worth? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Put that on a lift for inspection, but keep your eyes closed.
kenshapiro2002
QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 9 2024, 07:44 PM) *

Like this?

So what's this worth? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Put that on a lift for inspection, but keep your eyes closed.

Not bright and not polite, but luckily none of us need to rely on your intelligence or kindness.
windforfun
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Feb 9 2024, 05:19 PM) *

Like this?

Not bright and not polite, but luckily none of us need to rely on your intelligence or kindness.

My apologies. It's been a bad day. I'm simply one of those idiots who believe in keeping a car stock to retain its value. Forgive me for offending you.
kenshapiro2002
QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 9 2024, 08:31 PM) *

Like this?

My apologies. It's been a bad day. I'm simply one of those idiots who believe in keeping a car stock to retain its value. Forgive me for offending you.

Apology accepted. There’s no truth as to whether a modified car is more variable than a stock one. It’s pretty much why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors. So many factors. This car will outhandle and blow the doors off of any unmolested 914, even a 914-6. I’m after the driving experience, not money at sale or the approval of purists. I was just amazed that you seemed to know what her belly looked like and her level of rustiness.
kenshapiro2002

Like this?

Apology accepted. There’s no truth as to whether a modified car is more valuable than a stock one. It’s pretty much why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors. So many factors. This car will outhandle and blow the doors off of any unmolested 914, even a 914-6. I’m after the driving experience, not money at sale or the approval of purists. I was just amazed that you seemed to know what her belly looked like and her level of rustiness.
windforfun
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Feb 9 2024, 05:38 PM) *

Like this?

Apology accepted. There’s no truth as to whether a modified car is more valuable than a stock one. It’s pretty much why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors. So many factors. This car will outhandle and blow the doors off of any unmolested 914, even a 914-6. I’m after the driving experience, not money at sale or the approval of purists. I was just amazed that you seemed to know what her belly looked like and her level of rustiness.

So how is the workmanship with the modification? Is the car rust free? I ASSUMED, like an old asshole, that the "quality" of the car went backwards. I've seen so many modified cars over the years where the quality was severely compromised. Again, please accept my apologies. So what's under the hood (as they used to say)?

kenshapiro2002
QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 9 2024, 08:46 PM) *

Like this?

So how is the workmanship with the modification? Is the car rust free? I ASSUMED, like an old asshole, that the "quality" of the car went backwards. I've seen so many modified cars over the years where the quality was severely compromised. Again, please accept my apologies. So what's under the hood (as they used to say)?

Done probably 30 years ago or more to what must have been a very solid teener when they were dirt cheap and unloved and when the Rayco kit was the rage. Dr. 914 , George Hussey, of Auto Atlanta says these were superbly made kits. It was very well done. It’s a JDM EJ20K STI making around 280 HP. 225 meats, reinforced unibody, handles better than the Lotus Europa I had or any of my previous 914s.
windforfun
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Feb 9 2024, 06:01 PM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Feb 9 2024, 08:46 PM) *

Like this?

Done probably 30 years ago or more to what must have been a very solid teener when they were dirt cheap and unloved and when the Rayco kit was the rage. Dr. 914 , George Hussey, of Auto Atlanta says these were superbly made kits. It was very well done. It’s a JDM EJ20K STI making around 280 HP. 225 meats, reinforced unibody, handles better than the Lotus Europa I had or any of my previous 914s.

Very cool indeed. My neighbor has an AM DB9. The link to your website doesn't connect. FYI. An error on my end perhaps. Have a nice evening. And as Harrison Ford says in the latest Indiana Jones movie: "Thanks for putting up with me."

kenshapiro2002
Looking for a Rayco brochure and installation manual.
windforfun
Good luck with that. George & I go way back. I haven't talked to him in awhile. He's always been very helpful.

beer3.gif beer3.gif beer3.gif
TargaToy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Feb 9 2024, 09:17 PM) *

I'm not sure how this 2017 thread was revived but I'll jump in...

I have the Rayco instructions as well as a couple color photos of the kit installed mailed to me by Rayco Inc. I guess I requested the packet years ago (it's post-marked 1997). These aren't for sale but I would be happy to scan them and send them to you or link them here if you're interested.
technicalninja
I (sort of) am the reason this thread got revived...

I advised Kenshapiro2002 to PM the original poster in this thread to find out if he still had it as the last post in 2017 said "offers please".

I advised this was a long shot...

I did not say "bring this back from the past and get into arguments with other members on the validity of this body kit."

I was trying to help a member get the kit he wanted, not create extra stress in the forum.
windforfun
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Feb 10 2024, 09:33 AM) *

I (sort of) am the reason this thread got revived...

I advised Kenshapiro2002 to PM the original poster in this thread to find out if he still had it as the last post in 2017 said "offers please".

I advised this was a long shot...

I did not say "bring this back from the past and get into arguments with other members on the validity of this body kit."

I was trying to help a member get the kit he wanted, not create extra stress in the forum.

No worries mate. My sense of humor can be very dry & is often misinterpreted. When I used to do stand up comedy at the Bottom Line in NYC, I'd have to remember to keep it wet & juicy.

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
emerygt350
I am not a fan of that look, but I wouldn't say it doesn't have a market. If your 914 is already kitted and your panels are beat maybe this would be a refresh? Going back to stock panels for a chopped car is a really expensive proposition and would put you way underwater.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Feb 10 2024, 01:33 PM) *

It’s a free service that comes along with any discussion of body kits. Just ask Emery laugh.gif

QUOTE(technicalninja @ Feb 10 2024, 01:33 PM) *

No good deed goes unpunished happy11.gif

Looks like TargaToy can cover Ken’s WTB request for Literature with free scans - can’t get much better than that. Seems like a typical 914World success story unless he absolutely wants paper copies.

@technicalninja
@kenshapiro2002
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Feb 9 2024, 05:21 PM) *

Like this?

I think this car looks great. Not something I would ever do to my car, but pretty cool. beerchug.gif
r_towle
Is the kit still for sale?
technicalninja
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 11 2024, 11:46 AM) *

This is the kicker!

Had I been Ken I'd have been ninja quiet ninja.gif until I had verified if the kit was still available. If it was gone then posting the car would be proper.

If there was a tiny chance it might still be available, I'd have hunted that to completion before posting as someone else might be interested.

I've been involved with fiberglass mods most of my life (my dad!) and have come to the conclusion that ALL fiberglass that is bonded to sheet metal WILL crack and disconnect with time. Might take a while but it will require further work down the road.

Having an extra kit (especially a never installed one!) means the one on the car will last longer.
Ninja proverb: If you have a spare available ready to install you will not need it until directly after you dispose of it.
I keep spares...

I'd not want to get into a bidding war on a kit that the seller was having trouble getting rid of 7 years ago.

I'd have been quiet!

Now, the car in question looked like a damn good buy. Looks like he's into it for less than 15 and if it's right it will be an absolute hoot to drive!
It's not perfect but it's not a roach either.

He was also a player on a 44K car that looked better but was back for sale within a month of the auction. That's a HUGE red flag for me!
I think he was lucky to miss the black one!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-porsche-914-83/

How many of us have 15K in our projects?

I do...

He's driving his!

His will be faster than 80% of the builds on here...
windforfun
Didn't the old Vets require continuous fiberglass tweaking? No tweaking resulted in lots of squeaking. Won't this kit do the same thing before structural failure? Will it depend upon the workmanship of installation?
windforfun
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Feb 9 2024, 05:37 PM) *

Like this?

Apology accepted. There’s no truth as to whether a modified car is more variable than a stock one. It’s pretty much why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors. So many factors. This car will outhandle and blow the doors off of any unmolested 914, even a 914-6. I’m after the driving experience, not money at sale or the approval of purists. I was just amazed that you seemed to know what her belly looked like and her level of rustiness.

I was just there the other day. Great ice cream indeed. Thanks for the "memory" refreshment.
kenshapiro2002
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Feb 11 2024, 01:40 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 11 2024, 11:46 AM) *

This is the kicker!

Had I been Ken I'd have been ninja quiet ninja.gif until I had verified if the kit was still available. If it was gone then posting the car would be proper.

If there was a tiny chance it might still be available, I'd have hunted that to completion before posting as someone else might be interested.

I've been involved with fiberglass mods most of my life (my dad!) and have come to the conclusion that ALL fiberglass that is bonded to sheet metal WILL crack and disconnect with time. Might take a while but it will require further work down the road.

Having an extra kit (especially a never installed one!) means the one on the car will last longer.
Ninja proverb: If you have a spare available ready to install you will not need it until directly after you dispose of it.
I keep spares...

I'd not want to get into a bidding war on a kit that the seller was having trouble getting rid of 7 years ago.

I'd have been quiet!

Now, the car in question looked like a damn good buy. Looks like he's into it for less than 15 and if it's right it will be an absolute hoot to drive!
It's not perfect but it's not a roach either.

He was also a player on a 44K car that looked better but was back for sale within a month of the auction. That's a HUGE red flag for me!
I think he was lucky to miss the black one!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-porsche-914-83/

How many of us have 15K in our projects?

I do...

He's driving his!

His will be faster than 80% of the builds on here...

Driving it regularly. Into it for $12,500, maybe the best buy I’ve ever fallen into. The pictures in the BAT listing didn’t do it justice. It’s solid, stupid fast, handles better than my Europa and needs nothing other than a hand brake adjustment. In my opinion it’s a 20-25K car. And the cat who outbid me on the 44K black one is trying to get rid of it. I passed. So glad that was a fail. Mine is nowhere near as nice but 32K nicer? Not to me. And performance wise I think my STI might be stronger than his WRX
kenshapiro2002
QUOTE(TargaToy @ Feb 10 2024, 12:19 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Feb 9 2024, 09:17 PM) *

I'm not sure how this 2017 thread was revived but I'll jump in...

I have the Rayco instructions as well as a couple color photos of the kit installed mailed to me by Rayco Inc. I guess I requested the packet years ago (it's post-marked 1997). These aren't for sale but I would be happy to scan them and send them to you or link them here if you're interested.

Thanks sooo much. Just emailed you.
Ken
technicalninja
@kenshapiro2002

Was there any buyers fee or other "vapor money" involved with your purchase?

I though a 12.5 bid wasn't the whole amount.

How did you like BAT for transfer and after sale BS?

The reason it was 34k less than the black car was the non-purist body kit.

That black car had a bunch of aftermarket fiberglass on it as well so IMO it was the "same" as your car.

Just the stuff on the black car Porsche actually produced at one point...

Freaking silly for 34K!

You probably bought more "speed" for less money than anyone else has in a long time regarding 914s!

I'm not "gaga" over the kit but for the price I'd live with it just fine...

You have the option of messing with people's minds on it, however.

Someone askes "what is it" and your imagination is the only roadblock!
emerygt350
And since it is a 914, when someone pulls up and asks if that's a real Porsche you won't be experiencing anything different from the guy with even the most perfect unrestored specimen.
kenshapiro2002
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Feb 12 2024, 02:45 PM) *

@kenshapiro2002

Was there any buyers fee or other "vapor money" involved with your purchase?

I though a 12.5 bid wasn't the whole amount.

How did you like BAT for transfer and after sale BS?

The reason it was 34k less than the black car was the non-purist body kit.

That black car had a bunch of aftermarket fiberglass on it as well so IMO it was the "same" as your car.

Just the stuff on the black car Porsche actually produced at one point...

Freaking silly for 34K!

You probably bought more "speed" for less money than anyone else has in a long time regarding 914s!

I'm not "gaga" over the kit but for the price I'd live with it just fine...

You have the option of messing with people's minds on it, however.

Someone askes "what is it" and your imagination is the only roadblock!

BAT gets 5%, so $625. No after sale BS at all. They have the seller my email and we settled up. Great guy by the way. We communicate frequently about the car and other mutual interests.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.