Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Race Helmet question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
kaiserms
Is a Snell approved 2015 helmet good for PCA
Time Trialing and other venues, vintage & SCCA?
What is the expiration?
Catorse
QUOTE(kaiserms @ Jan 18 2017, 05:30 AM) *

Is a Snell approved 2015 helmet good for PCA
Time Trialing and other venues, vintage & SCCA?
What is the expiration?

Yep they are good for 5 years.
brant
most sanctioning bodies accept the current and also last approved helmet

so usually a 10year window

however the 2010's are on their way out so the 2015 is the way to go right now

also make sure you buy an SA helmet
and not an M helmet

the M designation is for motorcycle
rumored to be designed to take the impact of your head onto concrete during a motorcycle wreck. also not fire proof

the SA designation is fire proof lined. Rumored to be designed to take multiple impacts of your head hitting the roll bar and roof as you roll your car over on the ground.

most clubs
and PCA locally... only accept the SA designed helmets
check the rules for your local chapter (or national chapter if club racing) and go with the rules of your club instead of the knowledge of this website. They will specifically tell you what they do and don't accept, while we here are guessing at how your going to use it.
kaiserms
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 18 2017, 12:23 PM) *

most sanctioning bodies accept the current and also last approved helmet

so usually a 10year window

however the 2010's are on their way out so the 2015 is the way to go right now

also make sure you buy an SA helmet
and not an M helmet

the M designation is for motorcycle
rumored to be designed to take the impact of your head onto concrete during a motorcycle wreck. also not fire proof

the SA designation is fire proof lined. Rumored to be designed to take multiple impacts of your head hitting the roll bar and roof as you roll your car over on the ground.

most clubs
and PCA locally... only accept the SA designed helmets
check the rules for your local chapter (or national chapter if club racing) and go with the rules of your club instead of the knowledge of this website. They will specifically tell you what they do and don't accept, while we here are guessing at how your going to use it.

Thank you Brant.
Do you TT with POC? I was active back
in 1985-1990. Just getting back to it
in my golden years.

brant
I used to do DE/TT with PCA in 1990-1995 ish
then club racing with PCA in 1993 - 2005 ish
then strictly wheel to wheel vintage racing since 2005
with lots of different clubs/sanctioning bodies
(RMVR, CVAR, HMSA, CSRG, SVRA, NOSTALGIA, ect)

I tried to go back and do another time trial with PCA around 2007
it lost some of its spark for me
all newer cars, fewer air cooled cars
I really enjoy vintage racing and can't understand why its not more popular.
campbellcj
I was able to "stretch" my SA2005 into 2016...for xmas got a Stilo composite (not full carbon) SA2015 which I am very happy with. It's more comfy than my past Bells and has built-in earmuffs/sound-deadening which is a feature I honestly did not know about before having it, and it's a great thing. Without earplugs, which I don't like driving with, my car is fairly loud even inside a typical helmet.

Also some of these slightly nicer helmets can accept communications and/or cooling systems.
kaiserms
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 18 2017, 03:10 PM) *

I used to do DE/TT with PCA in 1990-1995 ish
then club racing with PCA in 1993 - 2005 ish
then strictly wheel to wheel vintage racing since 2005
with lots of different clubs/sanctioning bodies
(RMVR, CVAR, HMSA, CSRG, SVRA, NOSTALGIA, ect)

I tried to go back and do another time trial with PCA around 2007
it lost some of its spark for me
all newer cars, fewer air cooled cars
I really enjoy vintage racing and can't understand why its not more popular.

Very timely on your comment regarding PCA & POC about
the lack of 914's participating now. When I was running we
would have up to 25 CS 914 2.0's competing. I feel like
the Rip Van Winkle of 914's. Mine has been stored in my garage
for 25 yrs (raised two kids in travel sports and college). I went
to spectate a PCA TT and asked if there were any 914's
and they said they had not seen any in years. Where do
all our guys go to run their 914's? Would like to talk
more about vintage opportunities.
Thanks for the help. This is a great site.
wndsrfr
Where do
[/quote]

I've been running my teeners at DE events, mostly PCA but also other clubs like TrackDaze, NASA, Chin, ReZoom at Watkins Glen, Summit Point, Dominion (new), VIR, Carolinas Motorsports Park, Road Atlanta, Roebling, even Daytona & Sebring. Tracks near you are Mid-Ohio, Putnam & NCM.
Usually there's a couple, sometimes I'm the only 914. The upside of that is that you're the paddock favorite--everybody has their 914 memories, chicks doing selfies leaning on your car & other papparazzi all the time...
Browse the calendars on these sites:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/login.form
https://clubregistration.net/
driving.gif
campbellcj
Unfortunately there are very few still running in SoCal. I used to see Sheridan and AIR widebody cars, GT tributes, stock 2.0's etc. with POC and other groups all the time. Now usually I am the only one with POC. Carolyn Pappas I think still has hers technically, but it's been apart for a long time. I am aware of two other guys with V5 class /fours but have not seen them out in a while.

I went out with VARA last weekend, to get signed-off for my rookie license, and there was 1 other 914. I know the car from years ago and it has a new owner now. It's a race-prepped carbed 2.0/four. I rallied him to join this site as he is not on here, yet. Another guy I met said he is the only active VARA 914 racer right now. He has a gorgeous -6 which he did not have out last weekend as he was only instructing, but I know that car too. So there will be 3 of us going forward but in different classes unfortunately!
kaiserms
[quote name='wndsrfr' date='Jan 19 2017, 09:22 PM' post='2445775']
Where do
[/quote]

I've been running my teeners at DE events, mostly PCA but also other clubs like TrackDaze, NASA, Chin, ReZoom at Watkins Glen, Summit Point, Dominion (new), VIR, Carolinas Motorsports Park, Road Atlanta, Roebling, even Daytona & Sebring. Tracks near you are Mid-Ohio, Putnam & NCM.
Usually there's a couple, sometimes I'm the only 914. The upside of that is that you're the paddock favorite--everybody has their 914 memories, chicks doing selfies leaning on your car & other papparazzi all the time...
Browse the calendars on these sites:
https://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/login.form
https://clubregistration.net/
driving.gif
[/quote]
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsi...482451911.1.jpg
Where do they put you in class with the Raby motor, also thanks so much for the great info.
kaiserms
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Jan 20 2017, 12:00 AM) *

Unfortunately there are very few still running in SoCal. I used to see Sheridan and AIR widebody cars, GT tributes, stock 2.0's etc. with POC and other groups all the time. Now usually I am the only one with POC. Carolyn Pappas I think still has hers technically, but it's been apart for a long time. I am aware of two other guys with V5 class /fours but have not seen them out in a while.

I went out with VARA last weekend, to get signed-off for my rookie license, and there was 1 other 914. I know the car from years ago and it has a new owner now. It's a race-prepped carbed 2.0/four. I rallied him to join this site as he is not on here, yet. Another guy I met said he is the only active VARA 914 racer right now. He has a gorgeous -6 which he did not have out last weekend as he was only instructing, but I know that car too. So there will be 3 of us going forward but in different classes unfortunately!

Chris, first off, thanks for the reply. Not likely anyone left in POC that I would still know. Used to hang with Bill Follmer, Jim Vial, Charlie Spira and a bunch of other hot shoes. I'm in Michigan now, so we are not likely to meet, but thanks so much for responding.
MikeSpraggi
Here in the Mid-Atlantic region, I run my teener at Vintage Racer Group and PCA DE events and now PCA Club Racing in the new Vintage Class. Both good orgainzations.

Nowadays, I may see one other 914 at the DE events, but VRG usually draws a few more and vintage racing is such a blast. At the Jefferson 500 at Summit Point, there may be 10-15 914s competing. At most of the other VRG races, maybe 3-5 914s. We're talking about cars that are now 40+ years old. My two are 47 this year. All in all, I think it's pretty amazing these cars are still racing at all as they were considered as almost throwaway cars, (well, most of them at least).

Last year at he first ever PCA Club race with a Vintage class (Summit Point), there were 6 in a field of about 18 vintage racers. I don't know why vintage racing isn't more popular either, but as you know, there are some very large events that bring a lot of special cars out from the woodworks...... I know I've had sensory overload a few times taking it all in, but what fun.
NS914
I thought I would jump in as well....had the chance to head off to Mosport last spring to spectate the Vintage Weekend there re varac.ca/events. On the weekend we attended, there were quite a few 914's of the two litre and Six varieties....and god were they fast....really enjoyed it as a spectator and I am certain you would love it. Mosport is a legendary track....I want to say turn two will get your blood flowing but really the whole track looks to be a lot of fun.

Really fun event to spectate and I expect a heck of a lot more fun to drive....hopefully next year for me...I was thinking it might be reasonably close to you.
Grant
wndsrfr
[/quote]

Where do they put you in class with the Raby motor, also thanks so much for the great info.
[/quote]
Since I'm doing DE events, we're not classed by displacement/weight as in the racing events. At the DE's you work your way up from "Green" with an instructor through "Blue" to solo in "White" then "Black" with experience and passing anywhere on track, always with point-by rules. In black group I'm running with 911's, 944's, 993's 996's, GT3's, GT4's, BMW's, Miatas, 'vettes--it's a blast....check out youtube under wndsrfrutube....WGLapJun14.....lots of fun at Watkins Glen.
Here's the Raby /4 at VIR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tEALVfzHM

And here's the /6 at Watkins Glen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VfSA3_iEXg

I've been tracking the /6 for the past three years but did humble some folks with the /4 Raby....so much fun, so many tracks, so little time.....
Andyrew
I got this as a present and plan on painting it the same color as my car (Have some spare paint..)

Fit is right and It seems to be fairly light for being a composite helmet.

https://www.amazon.com/RaceQuip-273116-X-La...ell+2015+helmet
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.