Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spark plugs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
krazykonrad
If I remember correctly, the Cap'n recommended the basic copper-core single-prong spark plugs for our 914s. Any other advice out there?

Also, since we're here, how about for modern engines? Are the super 4-prong iridium fusion-reactor plugs worth it?

Thanks,
Konrad
mepstein
Yes, copper for 914's and air cooled 911's.
Modern engines, I have no idea, I imagine follow manufacture recommendations.
Frankvw
for the 914 try to find bosch w7cc. over here the W7 are hard to find, they will try to sell W8 ones instead. Of course there are several NGK options if you do not want to go for a Bosch plug.
JFJ914
IIRC, the Cap'n recommended NGK B6ES or Bosch W7CC.
jd74914
QUOTE(krazykonrad @ Jan 18 2017, 09:03 AM) *

Also, since we're here, how about for modern engines? Are the super 4-prong iridium fusion-reactor plugs worth it?

Provided it's stock, I'd go with whatever the OEM recommends since they do spend a ton of money on plug selection. Modern engines are pretty well integrated systems.

914 stuff is like noted above. Copper for the win. smile.gif
Chris914n6
Buy the plugs spec'd during production. If it was ACDelco iridiums then buy those and not the cheaper crap.
The 4 prong are usually spec'd for high pressure direct injection turbo motors.
Mark Henry
Copper or solid core only, for some reason aircooleds, both /4 and /6, don't like fancy plugs.

Also Bosch and NGK have rolled threads, plugs like champion have straight cut threads and are more prone to stripping the threads out of the head.
krazykonrad
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 18 2017, 09:35 AM) *

Also Bosch and NGK have rolled threads, plugs like champion have straight cut threads and are more prone to stripping the threads out of the head.

Now that's useful information! I remember back in school watching about half the threads vanish into the combustion chamber of my old Nissan 200SX the first time I changed the plugs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.