Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gas Tank Question?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Question about JLO, my car that will be a V8 someday.

Do I need the expansion tank on top of the gas tank with carbs? She didn't come with one, and the SBC I'm putting in will be carb'd....

Take a look and let me know.

Thanks,

Bill P.
nine14cats
And should I have an overflow/vent line? The whole thing is coming apart so that I can paint the entire trunk and ventilation area, but since I'm in there...... wink.gif

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Oh.. boy.. GM trunk paint.

I would put one back on it.. so that breather line can go to it.

You'll end up with gas smell in the car. The V8 cars already have a problem with heating up the gas tank because of the radiator....

B
nine14cats
Yep...trunk paint front and back...gonna shoot it yeller like the outside... laugh.gif

lots of sanding.... barf.gif or maybe paint the inside's red to be totally obnoxious... cool_shades.gif

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Hey hey.. red would be cool. screwy.gif LOL

B
nine14cats
yeah...maybe a poll...remember this car is a Hot August nights CA cruiser mobile...we can think out of the Porsche box!

laugh.gif Bill P.
Brad Roberts
You MUST Chrome the gas tank. Fuzzy dice ?

Oh.. I have a caged 3.0 9146 that was offered for you to drive this year at TT's if you want. It kinda sucks for AutoX (but you can try if you want) Scott's car. Turn on your Yahoo IM.

B
nine14cats
aktion035.gif Yeah....now we're talking!

I'm semi-serious of making it clean but more hotrod.com than going concours porsche...

I'll take some hits for that...what did your dad do on the V8 VW of his?

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
The VW has fully upholstered tweed panels in the front covering everything.

FYI: Sids custom upholstry in Mountain View on Old Middlefield.

I would do a Grey Tweed or Tan tweed setup (inside and out)

Use 3 shades of Grey or Tan. Seats/dash/carpet/everything

B
J P Stein
I ran a piece of plastic hose from the vent out the bottom.
You don't need any of the stuff under the cowl cept the windshield wipers stuff.....but then ya gotta block off all the resultant holes.
Brad Roberts
Dont want to remove too much from a car with a LARGE front mounted radiator. Remove too much and HEAT will find its way into the car from every direction. It is NO fun on a warm 85+ day being blasted with radiator heat coming through every nook and cranny.

Bill,

Make damn sure everything is sealed off.

B
nine14cats
JP,

I just ordered the serpentine system from RH today along with the heater and A/C gizmo's...should be quite a puzzle to put together. I'll be cutting and pluggin all over this car.

B,

You have pics of your dad's hot rod on your computer? rolleyes.gif

Believe it or not...I am very partial to tweed...I think it looks great...

upholster even by the radiator? wont' it get anti-freeze on it? hmmm...a thought...

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
If you bought the complete kit.. they should have told you about the aluminum shrouding they sell. The Type 3 has a spare tire well just in front of the trunk. This is where my dad put his radiator. It's not like our cars where we have to vent everything out the wheel wells (or under the car) he can fully upholster the front trunk. What I'm talking about in your case is something made to cover the gas tank area all the way to the hood hindges. The hood hindges would actually pass through some "bristles" as you closed it. All of his panels easily remove for bleeding/servicing the radiator.

B
nine14cats
I bought the kit from a 3rd party...great deal...saved mucho $$$.

I got ya on the panel covers, I've seen them. That's not a bad idea, and isolates the cabin more...

More choices.... laugh.gif

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Bill,

75 oh.. and the gas cap gave it away.. that tank is supposed to have a plastic expansion tank around it. Not like the earlier cars that had a steel one.

B
neo914-6
Bill,

Was that trunk paint textured? Ralph with a Renegade conversion at WCC said it was a "trick" to reduce road noise.

I thought of the chrome gas tank idea too. It would go well with polished rad shrouding. biggrin.gif

Dad Roberts car had a Recaro split and extended like a bench seat perfect for a Hot Rod cruiser. Here's pics: seats couple of exterior

Talk to you soon...
nine14cats
Hi Felix,

Yeah...Renegade uses "body Schutz" and "rocker Schutz" by 3M. It's a rubberized texture that can be painted. Pretty cheap too...

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
V8 guy's worried about road noise WTF confused24.gif

Randal and SteveN use UPOL Gravi Guard.

I cant stand the speckled trunk paint crap.. (my opinion..and I'm sharing it)

B
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brad Roberts @ Apr 29 2005, 09:44 PM)
V8 guy's worried about road noise WTF confused24.gif

Randal and SteveN use UPOL Gravi Guard.

I cant stand the speckled trunk paint crap.. (my opinion..and I'm sharing it)

B

i agree...belongs in the trunk of a trans am biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
As the Bandit stops for gas:

"Trans Am..whazz your pleasure ??" large gas pumping person...

"Hush puppies daddy...hush puppies"

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.