Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cooling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sjhenry1075
I'm back, and I have another stupid question. I'm pretty new to the 914 scene. I've been an enthusiast for as long as I can remember first seeing my father's 71 (which is now mine). I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the vehicle, through research I've found my best resource is this forum. With that being said, does anyone have a diagram or detailed description of exactly how the cooling system works on the 914 to include all parts involved? Even better, is there a book out there that explains every system on a 914?
brant
do you mean the air path or oil?

air gets sucked in the top of the motor by the fan (through the engine lid)

the full tin work and all gromets help separate the cooler top air from the hot bottom air that wants to rise up

the fan pushes the air through flaps in the fan housing
the flaps are controlled by a bellow thermostat
the flaps also control or split the air so some goes to the oil cooler, the rest over the heads and cooling fins on the cylinders

the thermostat is arguably optional in a warmer climate as the factory designed the flaps to open fully in event of thermostat failure or missing... however having a thermostat is really better. Not so much for max cooling but for engine warm up and longevity.

the flaps themselves are really necessary despite some arguing they have run cars without them. WHY???? WHY would you degrade a factory designed cooling system.... WHY?

The later cars. I believe starting with the 73 model year? also added plastic flaps at the base of the firewall. They create a low pressure turbulence that helps to draw the air downward through the cooling path while the car is rolling. These are often added to early cars as more air movement is of course better
sjhenry1075
Thank you for the info.. I actually found this article that is pretty informative as well ~ http://www.volksbolts.com/faq/cooling.htm If you scroll to the bottom it explains the 914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.