Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gearbox issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Redraptor
So I slowly but surely am taking my 914 apart and it is going well. However, while I was crawling around underneath today I noticed something that scared me a little. The ear of the gearbox used to connect the mounting has been sheared off leaving the transmission hanging by one side. From my limited knowledge it looks like the pieces can be welded back together.

My questions are as follows:

1)Would welding be good enough or for the price would I be better off buying one online?

If I end up buying one is there a difference in years for the gearbox covers?
brant
it can be welded
you need someone highly skilled in alloy
it is a magnesium alloy
not as flammable as pure magnesium
but still requires a skilled welder

all of the side shifts used the same rear tail cone
1973-1976
I think the going price is around 200? maybe slightly less

wndsnd
Scout The Samba. A cheap housing might come up.

Good luck!
stugray
Do you have a sideshift or tailshift?

I have a tailshift cone I never intend on using again
mepstein
Get a replacement part from someone here. If you ask nicely, you'll get it cheap and save the hassle of getting yours welded. Make sure you assemble it properly with the washers in the correct direction. It's a part that shouldn't normally break.
Redraptor
Thanks guys. I have a bunch of welders in my area, but I would prefer to get one that hasnt been broken. Im not in a big rush, but it freaked me out when I saw it. I was sliding myself under the car, without a dolly since I didnt jack it up high enough to use one rookie mistake, I was looking up and my light hit everything just right and I saw the sheared support. Anyway, I'm dropping the engine soon to clean it and get into restoring my new baby so this is really just one more stop on the journey.

It's a 2.0 74 with a sideshift. I've been able to find the tail shifts pretty quickly, but not so on the sides.
mlindner
Redraptor, and if you replace it....good time to check or replace 1st/reverse slider and synhro ring, easy to get to. Best, Mark
Redraptor
Thanks. It has been sitting for 30 years so everything is a least getting looked at and thoroughly cleaned. She has pretty low mileage so Im not anticipating too much wear on the internals, but mice have managed to get stuff everywhere. Nasty. The gearbox issue is the first uh-oh moment I have had with the car.
PanelBilly
Good thing your dropping the engine. Look closely at the mount in the front while you've got it apart. With the engine being supported from three point for a while now, there was additional twisting done.
stugray
nevermind
Dr Evil
Not too bad to replace the tail cone if you left the engine in the car. Grease, patience, dexterity, swear words are your friends. Good call not to weld, its a pain and not worth it in the end. Cones are prevalent, I have several (I should, tho).
Rob-O
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 21 2017, 07:35 PM) *

Not too bad to replace the tail cone if you left the engine in the car. Grease, patience, dexterity, swear words are your friends. Good call not to weld, its a pain and not worth it in the end. Cones are prevalent, I have several (I should, tho).

What the????

Who is this guy? Let someone with actual transmission experience chime in on this. biggrin.gif poke.gif lol-2.gif av-943.gif rolleyes.gif

First post by the Doc I've seen in a looooooonnnnngggg time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.