Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering column support question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
I have a few questions on part shown in pic
1. Is this part the same for both -4 and -6 ( this one is from a 6 as FYI)
2. The lower side has bushing/bearing held in by 2 snap rings......Can it be removed without damage
3. I believe I have spare top bushing ...but paid big through PCNA
are there optional sources.

Please answer if you actually have knowledge versus opinion, as I am trying to prevent major error
( on my part)
Thanks

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jan 19 2017, 09:56 AM) *

2. The lower side has bushing/bearing held in by 2 snap rings......Can it be removed without damage

Please answer if you actually have knowledge versus opinion, as I am trying to prevent major error
( on my part)
Thanks

That part is only for a 6, it is not for a 4
sixaddict
Thanks
So I suspect that means the bearings are exclusively six....meaning add $$$$ -right?

QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jan 19 2017, 07:46 AM) *

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jan 19 2017, 09:56 AM) *

( on my part)
Thanks

That part is only for a 6, it is not for a 4
sixaddict
bump
rgalla9146
Please visit recent thread that discusses conversion to 'left hand ignition'
There is info there on bearings and much more.
914Sixer
Top bearing is exclusive to the six (same as the 911 bearing of the time). Lower bearing is standard 4 bearing.
sixaddict
Mark /rgalla
Thanks good info.
Mark you really hit the "mark" .....very helpful. In fact my local 914 guru (shop) couldn't give me the answer you did. Trying to remove so I can have the cad finish restored.
One more question of you....for a -4 is the top bearing available without a ransom.
Its for another car so have two things working and did not want to confuse issue.
Thanks again.
Terry
P.S. Got the seals
mepstein
If it's this one - 900.052.031.00 - it's a $10 bearing.
914Sixer
The best price I found for stock -4 bearings was a seller on Ebay that had the pair for around $56 shipped. Lower was around $20 by itself shipped. Be VERY CAREFUL with the top -6 bearing, they are in the $260 range new.
sixaddict
Yes I thought it was heavy $$$ and mine came of in pieces. Not sure if I did that ( it had fair amount of play) or not but result is the same ---Ka Ching !

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jan 20 2017, 08:13 PM) *

The best price I found for stock -4 bearings was a seller on Ebay that had the pair for around $56 shipped. Lower was around $20 by itself shipped. Be VERY CAREFUL with the top -6 bearing, they are in the $260 range new.
Cracker
...don't "lose" that entire upper steering shaft and definitely don't leave it in the trunk! poke.gif

T
sixaddict
leave it to your friends....not to worry it is for white car dry.gif
Harpo
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 20 2017, 05:58 AM) *

If it's this one - 900.052.031.00 - it's a $10 bearing.

Where can I get one of these for $10? Stoddards claims it is 914 only $39 and SMC wants $35 and they claim it is a 911 + 914 part. DC auto wants 12 but they have a $50 minimum order.

Thanks

David
McMark
$11 + actual shipping, drop shipped to you.
mepstein
If you have a local Porsche dealer, ask them. They usually don't charge for shipping. It's only a couple dollars from our distributer. I doubled the price to estimate retail.

Here's amazon and eBay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.