Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Mac updater question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chunger
Hello,

I was wondering if some Mac guys could help out. I just got a powerbook, and installed OSX 10.3.5. I'm trying to use the auto-updater to install 10.3.9

I'm getting permissions errors every time I try. . . it says make sure you have permission to access /library/packages

-'Chung
sj914
You have to set permissions to allow you to update. Find the folder that its referring to and change its settings, it might be locked so someone else that uses the computer doesn't start messing with those files. If all else fails click help on the finder bar.
McMark
In your Applications folder there is a utilities folder with a program called Terminal in it. Open that program. Once it's finished loading type "ls -l /library".

Post the results here.

You're looking for a line that looks like this:
drwxr-xr-x 2 markd admin 68 26 Apr 23:44 Packages
SirAndy
Once it's finished loading type "ls -l /library".
You're looking for a line that looks like this:
drwxr-xr-x 2 markd admin 68 26 Apr 23:44 Packages

haha, gotta love it ... sorry guys, i always get a chuckle out of the "oh so easy, plug and play" MAC ...

want a running computer? go and learn some fu**ing command lines ...
type.gif Andy
McMark
If you don't want the "my computer is better than yours" shit don't start it. tongue.gif
anthony
Just open Disk Utility and run a permission repair on the disk before you try updating. Macs are very easy to use but as with anything you need to know what you are doing.
jgiroux67
DONT UPDATE TO 10.3.9!
I did it and I've had troubles and some programs not work right or at all. I've been reading on a mac discussion board and more people are having the same problems and some have it worse.
ben1440
no problems for me on 10.3.9 but then none going to 10.4 either cool.gif
chunger
Thanks guys,

I got it going. . . I copied the files I needed into the right directory from a different computer, and fixed the permissions with the boot disk's disk utility. . . eh, it's done and running now.

I do need to learn more about command line. The mac is just as complex as any other system. Fun Fun.

-'Chung
chunger
Woo hoo! I got the "1 button computer" and I still couldn't get it working.

All up and running now. . . smilie_pokal.gif
Bleyseng
hmm, I am running 10.3.9 and it works great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.