Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you install shifter firewall bushing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Garland
I think I read you warm it in hot water first, is this correct?
Brad Roberts
That will help...

Is the shift rod out of the car ?

Do you own a BFH ?

B
Garland
The shift rear rod is out, the one in the tunnel is in. What is a BFH?
Brad Roberts
BFH = Big F-ing Hammer

Is the engine in the car ?

B
Aaron Cox
B F H = Big Fuckin Hammer.

i softened mine with a heat gun, also worked great with rear sway drop link bushings
Garland
O, I have them. alfred.gif and a heat gun. Thanks
Brad Roberts
laugh.gif Great choice of smilies.. It actually made me laugh out loud.

If the engine is out.. take the center tunnel shift rod out. It will be MUCH easier. There is only one bolt holding it in place (13mm socket 6 inch 3/8 extension and 3/8 ratchet)

B
Garland
Easier? The engine is out, so with the tunnel rod removed will the bushing collapse more and pop into the hole?
Aaron Cox
thats the idea biggrin.gif anyway
Garland
Aaron, what size cam are you running? I have a 1.7 with a 260 X 396 and Weber DCNF's ,Traid muffler ,2.0 exchangers. Not running yet, but close.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Garland @ Apr 29 2005, 10:46 PM)
Aaron, what size cam are you running? I have a 1.7 with a 260 X 396 and Weber DCNF's ,Traid muffler ,2.0 exchangers. Not running yet, but close.

guessing its a web 494. was in a box when i got the motor. makes BIG power from 3k to redline...and past mueba.gif
i need to get smaller vents in my 44's, and play with some jetting...

why DCNF's?
Garland
Forgot to mention 96 B/B kit also. I will run this in my daily driver how load is Traid? I heard it was not to bad on volume. I used the DCNF's becuse I had them, but don't know any thing about them. Help?
McMark
If the engine is in the car (I know it's not in your case, but in general) you can "remove" the forward shift rod by unbolting the shifter from the body and sliding it forward. That will drop the front rod into the center tunnel, giving you access. wink.gif

Have fun!
IronHillRestorations
You definately can't replace that bushing with the forward shift rod installed.

I deform the bushing to install it. The high modulus plastic they are made of has tons of "memory", and it will pop right back in shape.
jim912928
Do as Mark said (I've just done this)....move the shift rod in the tunnel forward until it drops into the tunnel (there is an access panel you can open on the top of the tunnel by the rear firewall to help guide it back in. Warm the bushing up in hot water (what I did)...position it...and give it a whack with a big rubber hammer...mine popped right in.

You'll be amazed at how well your car shifts if you are replacing all of the bushings!
SGB
I used a vise- took both parts out of car and used sockets as spacers- pelican has a tech article
pelican shift bushing article
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.