Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ordering CoA?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JoeD
Curious - anyone ordered a Certificate of Authenticity lately?

I am finally getting around to doing so, but on the latest form from Porsche NA it states in bold letters: "For 1979 or older models, engine number must be provided in order to produce your Certificate of Authenticity". Further down the form it reiterates that engine number is mandatory for pre-1979 cars. I have a copy of the previous CoA request form (maybe a year old) and it does not ask for engine number.

I know my car does not have the original engine. It was a 2.0 and I have documentation from the early 80s of a 1.7 transplant and the current engine number is confirms that it is an earlier 1.7 case ("W" engine). No idea how to find the original engine #, so curious if anyone has tried to get a CoA without knowing engine #...?
Tom_T
Joe,

Even back in 2009 when I got mine, they required me to send in a pic of the engine GA code for my 73 2.0L to change it from just 914 to 914-2.0 on my COA - of course they didn't tell me beforehand & sent out the COA & I had to call them on their error.

They do it due to so many engine swaps over the years creating "conversion 2.0Ls" to protect the value of the real ones. Of course, there were also many blown engines of real 2.0s over the 45+/- years too, so those cars should still be able to be COA'ed as a 914-2.0, but without matching numbers.

As I understand what you're saying - it was originally a factory 2.0, but now has the transplanted 1.7 in it (or another non-original 2.0 at this point).

I'd suggest that you call their 800# & select the COA department to explain your situation, & offer to send in copies from the prior engine transplant.

So I don't know if they'll consider giving you the COA as a 914-2.0 with that documentation, but it's worth asking if they will, what documentation they'll need copies of to support it.

IIRC the "new VINs" at 1980> will discern the engine/trans/options/etc. set-up of a car's particular build, so they can tell what the car had originally on the later cars (for example, you can get a build sheet print-out from Sunset &/or Suncoast Porsche for $10 on a later car you're looking to buy).

PS - they'll just give you a "plain 914" COA otherwise.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
JoeD
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 20 2017, 12:20 PM) *

Joe,

Even back in 2009 when I got mine, they required me to send in a pic of the engine GA code for my 73 2.0L to change it from just 914 to 914-2.0 on my COA - of course they didn't tell me beforehand & sent out the COA & I had to call them on their error.

They do it due to so many engine swaps over the years creating "conversion 2.0Ls" to protect the value of the real ones. Of course, there were also many blown engines of real 2.0s over the 45+/- years too, so those cars should still be able to be COA'ed as a 914-2.0, but without matching numbers.

As I understand what you're saying - it was originally a factory 2.0, but now has the transplanted 1.7 in it (or another non-original 2.0 at this point).

I'd suggest that you call their 800# & select the COA department to explain your situation, & offer to send in copies from the prior engine transplant.

So I don't know if they'll consider giving you the COA as a 914-2.0 with that documentation, but it's worth asking if they will, what documentation they'll need copies of to support it.

IIRC the "new VINs" at 1980> will discern the engine/trans/options/etc. set-up of a car's particular build, so they can tell what the car had originally on the later cars (for example, you can get a build sheet print-out from Sunset &/or Suncoast Porsche for $10 on a later car you're looking to buy).

PS - they'll just give you a "plain 914" COA otherwise.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom,

Thanks so much for the info. Was kicking myself thinking I wouldn't be able to get one at all now. Not even sure why I want one, other than curiosity I guess...

As always, I appreciate the insight. Without knowing it, you've indirectly provided me with a ton of advice and useful information over the last 2 years. My boy and I found, bought and then restored our car based largely on many, many hours spent on 914World. What a great community!

I'll let you know how it goes with the COA.

JD
rudedude
got one for my 356 a couple years ago and they didn't require it and they even got most of it correct
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.