Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Notching the trailing arm for tire clearance?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I seem to remember a thread in which someone notched their trailing arm for more inside tire clearance.

Obviously it would be an ideal time to add the trailing arm reinforcing kit to the other side.
tygaboy
I had mine modded by Tangerine - cut in half, plated and gusset added - so if it we're me, I'd contact Chris Foley and get his opinion. I bet he's thought through all sorts of possible mods and could weigh in on the what's and wherefores of something like what you're looking to do.
mepstein
I seem to remember the poster saying he would never do it again. too much work.
eeyore
Don't the tires make contact with the inner fender well before the trailing arm?
horizontally-opposed
First place I ran out of room for 215/60R15s was at the trailing arm. There was a biiiiiiiit of space at the inner fender, but it was too close for my liking. But the brake line/trailing arm was the first problem. The obvious solution was to space the wheel out, but I don't want GT flares and am not ready to pull my fenders.

Thinking about all of the 914 that have been extensively modified over the last four decades—often at no small cost—I am surprised that no aftermarket vendor offers a trick, lightweight, and highly-adjustable blade-type trailing arm like those made for 911s. Seems ripe for the taking?

Paging Elephant Racing, Tangerine Racing, PMB...
6freak
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 20 2017, 10:48 AM) *

I seem to remember a thread in which someone notched their trailing arm for more inside tire clearance.

Obviously it would be an ideal time to add the trailing arm reinforcing kit to the other side.

why do you need bigger tires? and as far as boxing or stiffning trailing arms gos IMO its a huge waste of money and the trailing arm itself is the weak link in a crash ,you want it to bend otherwise ya tweek the chassis... but its your cheese and crackers so have fun with it smile.gif
NeunEinVier
That does look like a lot of careful fab work, and adding the gusset to regain some rigidity is key.
914forme
Mine rub, and Chris told me to wack it with a BFH smash.gif But mine has his kit on them. You could notch them, and weld in a section of cut tube. I had thought about doing that on mine. Also the kits really do little to nothing. Chris came up with the shortening of the box. Others weld in tubes.

What wheels are you trying to fit?

Also you could move the carrier out moving the wheels away from the arms. Also accomplished by using a spacer.
barefoot
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 20 2017, 01:48 PM) *

Any thru penetration welding of notched out plating will distort the A-arm by shrinking the welded side and altering the alignment of the axle bore to the pivot axis.
Beware.
andys
QUOTE(barefoot @ Jan 21 2017, 05:47 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 20 2017, 01:48 PM) *

Any thru penetration welding of notched out plating will distort the A-arm by shrinking the welded side and altering the alignment of the axle bore to the pivot axis.
Beware.

I tend to agree, it will likely distort.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.