Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel/pressure plate locating pins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Boomingbeetle
I am putting a new balanced FW on the motor I've been building up. Trouble is I can't seem to get the pressure plate dowels out of the 2 old flywheels I have. Already tried brute force on a big pair of vice grips, and I've let them soak in WD-40 for the last week. I can't seem to find any replacements to order either. Anyone have a tip?
TheCabinetmaker
Heat?
dangrouche
if memory serves, those pins are pretty soft. so don't grab them super hard with vise grips. I would use diesel fuel or PB blaster as a soaking agent. they must be rusted in place. try rapping it with a dead blow hammer on the opposite side while pulling with cushioned pliers
Mueller
Do you have a drill chuck that you can put around them and tighten?
Mark Henry
Remove the flywheel, dig the grease out of the holes on the backside, get the proper size pin punch and knock them out.
Heck I've done it with a nail that I've ground the point off flat. smash.gif
Easy peasy !

OMG....there's a proper way to dood it. slap.gif

biggrin.gif
Boomingbeetle
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 20 2017, 09:50 PM) *

Remove the flywheel, dig the grease out of the holes on the backside, get the proper size pin punch and knock them out.
Easy peasy !

biggrin.gif

Hmmmm.... flywheels are on the shelf, I don't remember the holes going all the way through. That would be MUCH easier! If that doesn't work I think I'll need to find a torch. I do have a ton of old drill bits, worst case scenario I could probably cut some of my own dowels from the correct bit size.
Mark Henry
Of course they don't go right through ... they have a dowel pin stuck in the way. rolleyes.gif

shades.gif
JFJ914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 21 2017, 12:50 AM) *

Easy peasy !

biggrin.gif

Absolutely correct! Plenty of hard jobs, but not this one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.