Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: little clutch help please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nickm1
I have adjusted the cable to the best of my abilities and I still can't get this thing to hold. It slips at less than half throttle. I don't think it can be a worn out clutch its only got 1000 miles on it or so. And the engine only has like 150 horse. What else can I look at/adjust to get this working.
Joe Bob
Do the basics....double nut on the cable, adjust the cable so that the pedal has free play so that the "feel" is about 1-2 inches before you feel pressure when pushing in.....CLUTCH SHOULD ENGAGE about 2-3 inches from the floor...assuming you have a good pedal board.

If the clutch is still slipping....check the adjustments and pedal again. Two things...the tube inside the tunnel could have popped a weld or two....or the clutch disc is inproperly installed and/or has oil on it....
Joe Ricard
Also did you have the flywheel surfaced @ clutch replacement? Did you give the measurements of what you wanted to have the 3 surfaces machined to?

Another sort of on the line of Mike's Bent broken throw out arm? shot plastic ball cup in throw out arm? Pivot ball not set at correct hieght?

My car doesn't make that much horsepower but.... I can't get the clutch to hardly slip at the Autocross events in a hard launch 3500 RPM and damn near side step pedal. I do get some wheel spin if it is sandy or didn't line up in the Vette cleaned tire track. As the tires hook I just mat it till 2nd gear shift and mat it some more.
Nickm1
Someone else did the clutch change before I got the car, but from what I know it has all new parts, nothing was resurfaced and it was done by someone very knoledgeable with Porsche's. He says it was fine last time he drove it. Then it sat for 2 years. It is the stock 901 tranny and clutch stuff. As far as clutch engagement it seems like it is way too high off the floor before it engages. Like it starts to grab just past the halfway point as your lifting your foot up then as its fully engaged there is about an inch more of travel left. Where the cable is at the tranny there are 3 nuts. I adjusted it both ways where there wasn't any slack and again where there was as much slack as I could give it and it didn't make any noticeable difference. The cable only adjusted about a half inch.
kenporacer
can u add a picture of the under side. 3 nuts isnt correct. has to be adjustment some where thru the cable or how the cable is run or the tube broken. has to be some thing simple if its all new & installed correctly
Nickm1
http://photos.yahoo.com/nicksws6

You can see pictures of it here. the nut in the middle is a half inch nyloc.
Joe Ricard
Well if the cable is slack you should have all the clamping force you will ever get.
So what to look for.... is the throw out arm now free to wiggle forward and back. Not side to side. (could be binding up and holding the pressure plate slightly depressed.
OK so now you got that figured out set the tension of the clutch cable. Start with the pedal all the way up and tighten the cable adjusting nut a little. This should start to take out the free play in the pedal. YOU WANT MORE FREE PLAY THAN YOU THINK. What you don't want to do is over center the pressure plate spring. You will know this when you depress the pedal and it all of a sudden gets light (easy). This means your cable is too tight, back it off til the over center feel is just gone at full pedal depress.

If your clutch slips now it is FUCKED just bite the bullet and replace it. 10 : 1 that the flywheel is not within specs. Friction surface was machined and not the outer lip where the pressure plate mounts.
SirAndy
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ May 1 2005, 04:55 PM)
Well if the cable is slack you should have all the clamping force you will ever get.

agree.gif looking at the throw out arm it sure looks like you're getting full dis-engagement ...
there should be NO slipping in that position!!!

oil on the clutch from a leaking main seal?
idea.gif Andy
Nickm1
hum, maybe I didn't loosen the cable enough, there wasn't any play in the throwout arm. when I push in the clutch there isn't any free play, its instantly hard to push for about a inch then its easy all the way to the floor.
Brad Roberts
Is this on your conversion car ?

Did your P-car Mechanic know that he is supposed to use special throw-out bearing with that KEP pressure plate ? You cannot use a stock 914 throw-out bearing with that pressure plate.

B
Nickm1
I'm not sure what exactly he used, I know he got it all from renegade.
Brad Roberts
Ok.

Here is what I want you to do:

Aim the car out into the street so you can drive it away..pick a path where you can drive in one gear for a few blocks and turn around without stopping.

Take all the nuts off the cable. Start the car in gear (second) and go down the street with no clutch cable connected (give it gas..let off/gas/off/gas/off) This will eleminate the pedal assembly/clutch cable and clutch tube. This will do it. If the clutch slips with NOTHING attached... your clutch is fried. If it doesnt slip.. we will work on what is causing the problem.

You can start the car in gear. I suggest warming it up first..shutting it off.. then putting it into gear. If you get stuck having to stop the car.. shut it off or pull the shifter out of gear during DECEL. It willcome out of gear fairly easy under decel.

Let me know what you find.
Nickm1
Thanks, I'll try that. There is a big mall parkinglot I can drive around in with no obstructions.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.