Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: About how much tranny oil does the 901 hold
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JerryP
sorry...searching but haven't found it. thanks
Allan
I think the Haynes manual says something like 2.6 qts. Just fill it until it starts to dribble out and yer good to go.
JerryP
Thanks much......just needed to know how much to buy.
CptTripps
MAKE SURE that you can get the side set-screw out BEFORE you drain it. (The one you'll be putting fluid into.)

The one on my 76 was a BITCH to get out. And I'd already drained it so I was SOL until I could get it off.

I didn't have that big of an alan-head, so I just took a of 13mm (I think that's the size) nut and threaded it all the way on the 13mm bolt, then tack-welded it in place. Then place it in there and use any old ratchet to back her out...

You may already have that tool, but I thought I'd offer up how I did it anyway. =)
Porsche Doc
Buy 3 Qts. 80-90 type GL5 wink.gif

Cap'n Krusty
5-5.5 pints, GL-5. DO NOT let them sell you ANYTHING else, and that includes ANYTHING that's NOT straight 100% GL-5. Remember, WE KNOW MORE than the parts counterman. The Cap'n
machina
I filled my tranny once and did it wrong. I had the car with the ass end way up in the air and then filled the tranny with swepco till it dribbled out. I seemed like it was taking more than 2.6qts but I kept going since it was not dribbling out.

Well all the extra fluid in the tranny blew out my main seal at the bellhousing end. Probably cuz I took her right out on the track.

I think by having the car tilted way down, the front of the tranny filled up too much.

Anyway, now I check it when she is level.
machina
here's the angle she was on...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.