Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is the difference between the early and late rear bumper
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
I just realized my sample rear bumper has no tit holes. unsure.gif
It's off of my sons car that's a 73, but the bumper could be off of who knows what year.

What are the other differences?
TheCabinetmaker
My 73 had tits front and rear. I've been told they were only on the 74s, but my 73 had them.
Dave_Darling
The 70-71 rear bumper has a center recess that has beveled edges, the shapes are flat planes. This is also sometimes referred to as the "914-6 rear bumper", and chrome ones can fetch some money due to being the correct version for a Six.

Here is a pic of the early rear bumper:
IPB Image

The 72-74 rear bumper has a center recess that has curved edges.

Here is a pic of the 74 version. Note the sides of that center recess:
IPB Image

The 74 version, of course, has holes for the rear tits.

--DD
Mark Henry
Thanks Dave the one I have must be a '73 with no tit holes.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 21 2017, 11:19 AM) *
The 70-71 rear bumper has a center recess that has beveled edges, the shapes are flat planes. This is also sometimes referred to as the "914-6 rear bumper", and chrome ones can fetch some money due to being the correct version for a Six.

Just to be absolutely clear, all early /4 and /6 cars had the same flat edged rear bumper, they are *not* exclusive to the /6 cars.
shades.gif
sixnotfour
blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
914werke
Were ALL /6 bumpers Chrome?

RARE 6
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 21 2017, 12:19 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

--DD

Not always. My June 1970 -6 has the curved inset. It's the bumper that was on the car when I drove it away from the showroom brand new.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 21 2017, 12:13 PM) *

I just realized my sample rear bumper has no tit holes. unsure.gif
It's off of my sons car that's a 73, but the bumper could be off of who knows what year.

What are the other differences?

The guys above have put some good pics up. The differences as I know them:

FRONT
1970-1972 914 & 914-6: Available painted or chrome; no holes other than large grill openings to either side (for lights or plain grilles) and two small "squares" near the center to accept license plate mounts.
1973-1974: As above, but with four more holes (2 on each side, just in from the grille openings) for rubber bumper guards
1975-1976: Large, rubber-faced bumpers to meet new laws; not sure, but I think some of these had small guard "pads" on top of the bumper skin?

REAR
1970-1971~ 914 & 914-6: Early 914 rear bumper, painted or chrome, with straight-edged license plate relief in center
1972-1973 914 & 914-6: As above, but with rounded transition into license plate area at center. Available painted or chrome.
1974: Same as 1972-1973 except with four holes (2 per end) to accommodate large rubber bumper guards like those used on the front of 1973-1974 914s.
1975-1976: Large, rubber-faced bumpers to meet new laws; not sure, but I think some of these had small guard "pads" on top of the bumper skin?

I am sure there is something above I am forgetting, and I am not entirely sure about the 1975-1976 bumper details. There were also some nuances, such as headlight washers, etc.

OTHER MODELS
914-6 GT often equipped with fiberglass bumpers with unique features (oil-cooler inlet in front, unusual treatment over license plate in here) while 916 had bumpers with integrated valances front and rear.

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 1 2017, 08:36 PM) *

Were ALL /6 bumpers Chrome?

No, the 914-6 GT had black bumpers. As for the "regular" street cars, I've never seen an original one that I can recall without chrome bumpers, but I always hesitate whenever I see "ALL" applied to any detail about production Porsches.
boxsterfan
In the coming years, the difference between an early (70-71) bumper and the later (72-74) bumpers will be about $3,500. biggrin.gif
mb911
First time I have seen the comparison.. For me I don't really care but I have nothing even close to an original car.
peteyd
QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Sep 1 2017, 08:02 PM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

--DD

Not always. My June 1970 -6 has the curved inset. It's the bumper that was on the car when I drove it away from the showroom brand new.

I don't know how this could be possible if they weren't even made till 1972.

Pete
rgalla9146
QUOTE(peteyd @ Sep 2 2017, 11:24 AM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

--DD

Pete

I agree with Pete.... but there were some very late sales of the slow selling 6s
When did you take delivery ?
Coondog
This is the only 1975 bumper I recognize......
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
My six, a late '71 build, had the later chrome rear bumper. I actually had an early chrome rear bumper a friend gave me but I sold it someone who needed it as my car did not come with that bumper.
mepstein
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Sep 2 2017, 01:24 AM) *

In the coming years, the difference between an early (70-71) bumper and the later (72-74) bumpers will be about $3,500. biggrin.gif

Not if Pete makes a reproduction poke.gif
RARE 6
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Sep 2 2017, 03:01 PM) *

QUOTE(peteyd @ Sep 2 2017, 11:24 AM) *

IPB Image

IPB Image

--DD

Pete

I agree with Pete.... but there were some very late sales of the slow selling 6s
When did you take delivery ?

Took delivery on (wait for it) 9/14/71.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Sep 2 2017, 07:50 PM) *

So was your car's rear bumper damaged between when it was delivered to the dealer and when you took delivery from the dealer? Or did some genius back in the day make off with your early bumper when they saw the 1972 version?
Larmo63
Bumper drama.
RARE 6
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 2 2017, 08:29 PM) *

QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Sep 2 2017, 07:50 PM) *

So was your car's rear bumper damaged between when it was delivered to the dealer and when you took delivery from the dealer? Or did some genius back in the day make off with your early bumper when they saw the 1972 version?

If your earlier post is correct my bumper wouldn't have been made yet when I took delivery. And what's on it is what it came with.
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 2 2017, 09:07 PM) *

Bumper drama.

LOL!

QUOTE(RARE 6 @ Sep 2 2017, 10:22 PM) *

If your earlier post is correct my bumper wouldn't have been made yet when I took delivery. And what's on it is what it came with.

The model year switch-over often happens the summer before the model year—so there's a good chance a dealer ordering a new bumper (or taking one off of another new car on the lot) might have gotten a 1972 rear bumper rather than a 1970-1971. Or perhaps the switch to the rounded rear bumper came earlier than the 1972 switch-over. I've never been clear on when that occurred, and would generally view statement that says "this is how it happened" with skepticism unless there's some solid information backing it up.

Nonetheless, your rear bumper and story are very interesting. Color me intrigued—to an extent. These are, after all, bumpers.... smile.gif
rgalla9146
I feel so neglected.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 2 2017, 11:31 PM) *

Bumper drama.

LOL!

The model year switch-over often happens the summer before the model year—so there's a good chance a dealer ordering a new bumper (or taking one off of another new car on the lot) might have gotten a 1972 rear bumper rather than a 1970-1971. Or perhaps the switch to the rounded rear bumper came earlier than the 1972 switch-over. I've never been clear on when that occurred, and would generally view statement that says "this is how it happened" with skepticism unless there's some solid information backing it up.

Nonetheless, your rear bumper and story are very interesting. Color me intrigued—to an extent. These are, after all, bumpers.... smile.gif

Is it possible that the car, if a '71 model was built close to the August change over and got one of the first '72 bumpers? There is a guy on the Samba selling two of what he says are "914-6 rear bumpers" asking over $700 each and they both have the curved sides. Since there were only about 240 '72 6's built I'd call them much more likely to be '73 appearance group car bumpers.
mepstein
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 3 2017, 02:31 AM) *

Bumper drama.

LOL!

A lot of damage happens during delivery and on dealer lots. I’ve seen it first hand.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.