Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need door lock cylinders
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vin man
The key that I have for my 914 does not work in the door locks. Where should I get replacement door lock/ key set? This is what I need:

IPB Image

If I search the internet, I find a single lock for over $120 here: Door Lock

Is there a more affordable alternative?
jim_hoyland
The way I got all my locks to work with the ignition key is pretty simple. And, there is a great thread by marb on how to do it .
I removed the cuclinder from each lock; removed all the wafers; then rearranged and exchanged wafers until the key would work
See: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=66709&hl=
There is an active member on this board who can do this for you but it's pretty simple
vin man
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 21 2017, 03:00 PM) *

The way I got all my locks to work with the ignition key is pretty simple. And, there is a great thread by marb on how to do it .
I removed the cuclinder from each lock; removed all the wafers; then rearranged and exchanged wafers until the key would work
See: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=66709&hl=
There is an active member on this board who can do this for you but it's pretty simple

Thanks. My key is in pretty bad shape. I'm considering changing the ignition cylinder as well if it doesn't cost more than the car did. sad.gif
stevend914
QUOTE(vin man @ Jan 21 2017, 03:41 PM) *

The key that I have for my 914 does not work in the door locks. Where should I get replacement door lock/ key set? This is what I need:

IPB Image

If I search the internet, I find a single lock for over $120 here: Door Lock

Is there a more affordable alternative?

I have two new sets, never opened the bags. I was able to get the original locks operating so ended up not needing to replace.
Niklas
If you have 2 sets i buy one set. Is one set for two doors?
stevend914
QUOTE(Niklas @ Jan 21 2017, 06:21 PM) *

No, one lock set is for one door.
Niklas
Ok. What is the price for 2 sets?
stevend914
QUOTE(Niklas @ Jan 21 2017, 06:21 PM) *

No, one lock set is for one door.
Niklas
What is the price for two lock sets for two doors.
You can PM me.
vin man
QUOTE(stevend914 @ Jan 21 2017, 05:16 PM) *

I have two new sets, never opened the bags. I was able to get the original locks operating so ended up not needing to replace.

Thanks for the reply. PM Sent.
Rob-O
Before you go buying a set of lock cylinders, I'd make sure that you actually need them. Many times it's assumed that the locks are different because the key won't turn the lock cylinder. When in actuality the problem is that the key is trying to turn a lock that is at least 40 years old. Do yourself a favor, pull the door handle, Pull the lock cylinder. Clean the and relate the thing (keep the key in it or the wafers and springs will do a vanishing act by departing the lock cylinder). Once it's all back together, if, when the key is inserted into the lock cylinder, all the wafers are flush with he outside of the lock cylinder, then the key is correct for that lock.

If not, there are tons of people on here that can send you some wafers. I believe there were only 5 different sized wafers. They are actually marked 0 to 4 if I remember correctly. Some don't have a marking on them at all, and I think those are just '0' wafers (some marked '0', some not). It's pretty easy to put the key in the lock and see which wafer is standing proud of the lock cylinder. Change that wafer out with different numbered wafers until the wafer sits flush.

Or...since you know the key works in the ignition, pull the ignition cylinder out (a little bit of work but not terrible). You can clean that lock cylinder up and then pull the wafers one by one, noting their position in the cylinder (again, careful or you'll lose the little springs that push the wafer out when the key isn't in the lock cylinder). Once you know the position and number of the wafers in the ignition, pull your door lock cylinders (and might as well do the rear trunk, glovebox and front trunk locks as well) and position the wafers to match the ignition.

Most people don't do the glovebox, front trunk and rear trunk locks because of time. Pulling the glovebox lock is probably the biggest time suck.

If you just do the ignition and door locks you're probably looking at two hours to disassemble, clean, lube, reassemble. That's assuming you have the wafers you need on hand.

Two other things. First, if the lock is turning in the door but not opening the door you have other issues. Second, the picture you posted isn't actually for a 914. It's close, but the end piece on a 914 looks different.
vin man
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jan 21 2017, 09:37 PM) *

Before you go buying a set of lock cylinders, I'd make sure that you actually need them. Many times it's assumed that the locks are different because the key won't turn the lock cylinder. When in actuality the problem is that the key is trying to turn a lock that is at least 40 years old. Do yourself a favor, pull the door handle, Pull the lock cylinder. Clean the and relate the thing (keep the key in it or the wafers and springs will do a vanishing act by departing the lock cylinder). Once it's all back together, if, when the key is inserted into the lock cylinder, all the wafers are flush with he outside of the lock cylinder, then the key is correct for that lock.

If not, there are tons of people on here that can send you some wafers. I believe there were only 5 different sized wafers. They are actually marked 0 to 4 if I remember correctly. Some don't have a marking on them at all, and I think those are just '0' wafers (some marked '0', some not). It's pretty easy to put the key in the lock and see which wafer is standing proud of the lock cylinder. Change that wafer out with different numbered wafers until the wafer sits flush.

Or...since you know the key works in the ignition, pull the ignition cylinder out (a little bit of work but not terrible). You can clean that lock cylinder up and then pull the wafers one by one, noting their position in the cylinder (again, careful or you'll lose the little springs that push the wafer out when the key isn't in the lock cylinder). Once you know the position and number of the wafers in the ignition, pull your door lock cylinders (and might as well do the rear trunk, glovebox and front trunk locks as well) and position the wafers to match the ignition.

Most people don't do the glovebox, front trunk and rear trunk locks because of time. Pulling the glovebox lock is probably the biggest time suck.

If you just do the ignition and door locks you're probably looking at two hours to disassemble, clean, lube, reassemble. That's assuming you have the wafers you need on hand.

Two other things. First, if the lock is turning in the door but not opening the door you have other issues. Second, the picture you posted isn't actually for a 914. It's close, but the end piece on a 914 looks different.

Thanks. I will definitely try and salvage the lock cylinders I have.
I have a second 914 that also doesn't have working door locks. So, between the 4 busted cylinders I have now, I should be able to get at least 2 working ones. I'm going to buy the ones from Steven as well as a backup. If I wind up not needing them, I'll put them back up for sale for someone else that can use them.

Ultimately, I would love to have 1 key that works all the door locks and ignition cylinder for both cars!

Is the ignition lock cylinder also one that can be pulled and rekeyed using the process in the other post?
rmdinmd
tweet could also be helpful. he does a lock of lock work and sells new wafers.
TheCabinetmaker
Read my signature
scallyk9
I had a similar problem with the passenger door of a '74 on purchase. The key would turn but would not lock or unlock the door. Assuming I had to replace it, I removed the entire exterior door handle assembly and removed the cylinder. The problem was merely a blackish, slightly sticky gunk. I suspect the plastic-y lock cylinder seal had turned into a resinous goo and had gotten into it and who knows what the prior owners had squirted into it to free it up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.