Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shane
Hi all, was trying to remove my fan (cooling fan),have the motor out of my 1.8 74 914 and it's on a engine stand. Everything I read says just remove the three bolts from the the center and pull the fan out. Mine won't budge!!! Any help would be very appreciated thanks in advance.
cwpeden
Its on a little bit of a spigot and there's a dowel to locate it.
Like an aluminum wheel stuck on the hubcentric. Try a soft mallet around the edge to knock it loose.
shane
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jan 21 2017, 07:07 PM) *

Like an aluminum wheel stuck on the hubcentric. Try a soft mallet around the edge to knock it loose.

Is there something else to remove besides the three bolts, cause I did smack the edges a bit and even put a puller on it still not budging? Thanks
Boomingbeetle
Mine also had a bolt and washer in the center as well that was lock-tight into place
shane
QUOTE(shane @ Jan 21 2017, 08:23 PM) *

QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jan 21 2017, 07:07 PM) *

Is there something else to remove besides the three bolts, cause I did smack the edges a bit and even put a puller on it still not budging? Thanks

Thanks for the help just banged it of, broken a few things on this old car by being to forceful.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Boomingbeetle @ Jan 21 2017, 08:47 PM) *

Mine also had a bolt and washer in the center as well that was lock-tight into place

That's what holds the hub onto the crankshaft. The fan is separate from the hub, and once the three bolts that hold the fan onto the hub are out, you should be able to wiggle the fan until it comes off.

--DD
Boomingbeetle
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 21 2017, 11:02 PM) *

That's what holds the hub onto the crankshaft. The fan is separate from the hub, and once the three bolts that hold the fan onto the hub are out, you should be able to wiggle the fan until it comes off.

--DD

Yup, but for some reason mine had an oversized washer that sat in front of the fan, with a spacer between the hub, and it was put on with red loctite. I can only assume the PO or whoever rebuilt the motor didn't have all the rift parts/knowledge. It also had a black plastic snap cap/insert into the bolt so I couldn't tell... it was an Allen key bolt. That was a core 1.8 motor I bought for $125 on CL....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.