Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass bumper backdate?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PatrickCG914
Hi everybody.

I know there are quite a few topics on backdating from the BUB to chrome bumpers, but couldn't really find the answer i was looking for, so here goes:

I am considering a bumper-backdate for my '75 US car, but i am not really liking the idea of doing too much "permanent" modification to the car.

Is there any way to avoid the cutting/welding usually involved in the process?
I was thinking that maybe fiberglass bumpers would be an option here? Anyone with first-hand experience on this?

ConeDodger
The "permanent" part of it does involve cutting out the front lip that held the BUB to the body. It involves a spot weld bit and a drill. There will be holes behind the bumper that will let crap into your trunk unless you plug them. I suppose welding could be involved there but I just made patch pieces and put them on with RTV. No one sees it so...

No. The cutting must occur or the bumper will not sit correctly to the body.
Dave_Darling
Also the lips on the side where the ends of the bumper cover hook onto the body.

--DD
Rand
You mentioned fiberglass. That's a can of worms. The quality varies big time. I'm looking for a deal like I got from Dan in the PNW for another set of FG bumpers.

Let's just say, that they will take work. Some metalwork on the lips (I shaved all of them with a cutting wheel to clean it up) as well as fiberglass work to line up with the rest.

If you aren't comfortable working fiberglass and metal, hire someone, or stay in touch here....
Steve
I was able to fit fiberglass Gt bumpers over everything. I did not have to cut or weld anything. The only mod was the four holes to hold the bumper on. Of course I had to remove the shocks. It was very easy to cover up the bumper shock holes. It wasnt perfect, you could still see the rubber holders under the side of the Gt bumpers. Check out my blog for a picture of the front. Later I changed to chrome bumpers and cut everything off.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?aut...ch&id=11517
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.