Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Garage Lift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Unobtanium-inc
I was having the same problem that many of us have with the car addiction, no room to put them all. I was figuring out what to do and had a couple of options.
1. Buy a building to store them in. This wasn't ideal because it would be a lot of money and the cars would be away from me.
2. Build something else at my house. This wasn't ideal either because I live on a ridge, so my yard is a couple of acres but most of it is a sloping hill, so there wasn't anywhere really to build another garage. Then I had an idea. My two car garage had an attic above it. A friend was building a deck for me so I asked him if we could eliminate the attic and raise the ceiling in the garage. He said no if it was made with truss built, but if it was stick built, sure. Luckily it was stick built so all he had to do was raise the pitch, and he was able to re-use most of the existing lumber!

Once the garage was where I wanted it, stage two came in, the lifts. The first lift went in today. My friend Greg helped me put it in, he also ordered it for me, he's the manager of the local NAPA. He had done one before but even with his experience it isn't a simple affair. There are lots of adjustments and a couple of times we had to take stuff apart and put it back together. It took 1.5 days, so it isn't as easy as the manufacturers make it out to be, but it is do-able if you're patient and know tools.
I ordered the 2nd lift today and it should be here in a couple of weeks, which works out because the 3rd car, the 993, is coming Feb 4th and the 4th car the 65 Mustang fastback should be done around there too.

So overall my review is you can put a lift in your garage yourself but it isn't super duper easy.
green914
very nice remodel smile.gif
bretth
Cool. Just be aware of potential brake fluid leaks from the car in the top bunk so it does eat the lower cars paint.

Beett
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(bretth @ Jan 22 2017, 09:06 PM) *

Cool. Just be aware of potential brake fluid leaks from the car in the top bunk so it does eat the lower cars paint.

Beett

Luckily it came with drip trays, and they are movable.
Krieger
That looks really good! It looks like maybe two hours to snap those big Lego pieces in place. What took so long? poke.gif biggrin.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Krieger @ Jan 22 2017, 10:00 PM) *

That looks really good! It looks like maybe two hours to snap those big Lego pieces in place. What took so long? poke.gif biggrin.gif

If you watch the Youtube video it takes about an hour. There were a host of issues like my floor slopes for the main drain, so all four towers had to be syncronized with their locking ladder, one of which was put in backwards, so it had to be torn down and then re-built. I'm sure if I did 10 of them it wouldn't take long. But luckily you only have to build it once.
Vysoc
Nice addition Adam, the 993 should be really fun to drive!

Enjoy,

Vysoc flag.gif
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Jan 23 2017, 07:22 AM) *

Nice addition Adam, the 993 should be really fun to drive!

Enjoy,

Vysoc flag.gif

I'm hoping to make it my new autocross rat. It should be a lot of fun.
Unobtanium-inc
A couple people have asked me what the difference between "stick built" and "truss built" is. My garage was stick built so we were able to loft the ceiling by moving the horizontal supports higher, we were even able to re-use much of the existing wood. If you garage has trusses you can't do this without making all new trusses, which is very costly.
Here is a pic of the garage mid-build.
Unobtanium-inc
Both lifts are in, winter is here, cars are up.

Hurry up Spring!
r_towle
Adam, keep an eye out for drips of the hydraulic fluid.
Many of these lifts use a cheap piston that has a split seal.
Coondog
Looks great
mepstein
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Feb 11 2017, 11:50 AM) *

A couple people have asked me what the difference between "stick built" and "truss built" is. My garage was stick built so we were able to loft the ceiling by moving the horizontal supports higher, we were even able to re-use much of the existing wood. If you garage has trusses you can't do this without making all new trusses, which is very costly.
Here is a pic of the garage mid-build.

I did the same with my house so I could have a 3rd floor office but instead of raising the floor, I raised the roof so I could have 8' ceiling. Also had to reinforce the floor. Won't do that project again.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(r_towle @ Dec 3 2017, 02:24 PM) *

Adam, keep an eye out for drips of the hydraulic fluid.
Many of these lifts use a cheap piston that has a split seal.

Thanks!
Adam
Kansas 914
QUOTE(bretth @ Jan 22 2017, 10:06 PM) *

Beett

agree.gif

It cost me a new paint job - well it cost the insurance company but it was a hassle beyond belief.
pete000
Does the 4 post lift require air compressor and 220 Volt?
sixnotfour
the 3 ive had only require 110 volts
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(pete000 @ Dec 3 2017, 05:05 PM) *

Does the 4 post lift require air compressor and 220 Volt?

Nope, plugs into the wall, 110V, but it's slow. It would never work for a shop, but for a home lift, just keep your finger on the button...
Unobtanium-inc
This is the lift I got, a couple guys have asked.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CL_Q4P07
KELTY360
Is that 2+2 Mustang a Hertz?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.