Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best oil?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tomh
What's the best oil for a half baked 2.0.
Engine runs good no smoke plenty of power with decent compression.
Rand
The factory recommended 20w50 30w (Thanks Dave) dino back in the day, but the problem is oil formulas have changed over the years. There are a bunch of threads around here if you want to dig through the searches for all the talk that leads up to my conclusion:

Our flat tappet TIV engines like ZDDP (think zinc). I use Brad Penn 20w50, "Penn Grade 1 Racing Oil" or "High Performance Oil." (Confirm that it is GREEN in color instead of caramel.)
iankarr
Jake Raby helped develop Joe Gibbs' Driven DT-50 specifically for our engines. It's synthetic so you'll need to get as much of the old dino oil out as possible. I've been running Brad Penn 50, but I'll be giving DT-50 a try in the spring...
Dave_Darling
Actually, the original spec oil for our motors is straight 30-weight.

Muti-grade oils have come a very very long way in the last 40+ years, though. Generally a decent 20W50 with lots of ZDDP is recommended.

When you start talking brands and such, everyone has a favorite and thinks all the rest are not as good...

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
I use valvoline vr1 racing oil. Not because I think its better than the others, but because it's available at every parts store and has what we need.
mlindner
Joe Gibbs Driven DT-50. Best, Mark
mlindner
Order right from LN Engineering, case, free shipping.
Tbrown4x4
I second the Valvoline Racing 20W-50. I used the Brad Penn 20W-50 too, but Valvoline is easier to come by.

I put 3000miles a month on mine, so I probably do more oil changes and valve adjustments than some people.
Mark Henry
I use Chevron Delo 400 15w40 diesel oil, fairly cheap good common oil.
About what Shell RotillaT used to be.
I use it in all my aircooleds and Fiat tractor.
It's in my T4 2.6L nickies engine and it will be going into my new performance 3.0 /6, about a $25K engine.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jan 23 2017, 03:19 AM) *

I use valvoline vr1 racing oil. Not because I think its better than the others, but because it's available at every parts store and has what we need.

Is that a 2- - 50 ?
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 24 2017, 07:46 AM) *

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jan 23 2017, 03:19 AM) *

Is that a 2- - 50 ?

20/50
injunmort
valvoline vr1 20-50 available at most flaps, i use it in my 914 my nortons, bmw's and indian for 25 years never had an issue.
toolguy
QUOTE(injunmort @ Jan 24 2017, 03:25 PM) *

valvoline vr1 20-50 available at most flaps, i use it in my 914 my nortons, bmw's and indian for 25 years never had an issue.

VR-1 still has the old school additives. .
wobbletop
IPB Image

I was able to find this for half price at the local NAPA. Was going to put it in my 3.0SC. Posting here to see how much roasting I will get. stirthepot.gif
'73-914kid
I second the Delo 400. Recommended by none other than Henry of Supertec. Seems to work great with my heavily worked over 2.7L six, and boy is it cheap.. buy it by the 2.5 gallon jug at Walmart.

Caveat being, I have not tried it in my dad''s 4 cylinder.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.