Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whos Car is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Michael Oberg
wavey.gif

Hello all 914ers,

Ive been lurking on these boards for quite some time, and thought it was about time I post some of my questions, and say Hi. Basically there have been 2 loves in my life that I will probably never get over: my first real love - a girl named Ginger, and Porsche 914's. Both love affairs happened about the same time, actually.

Ive been checking on prices of 914's for about 3 years now, and I have definately noticed that good cars are more and more rare, and the prices on average have gone up by quite a bit. One car that I really like was this one, from ebay probably about 2 years ago. Does anyone here know who the owner is, or at least what color this paint is? Ive looked throught the color listings at http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/914Colors.htm , but I cannot tell if it directly matches one of the stock colors, or is an aftermarket color. Ill try to post a second picture of the whole car in a second post.

Thanks for any info, and good job on both this forum and the excellent job on the new classifieds!

- Michael
Michael Oberg
Second Picture, showing the whole car:
Qarl
Ummm... that looks silver metallic to me... L96D. It's right on the chart you linked to. And valid for the 1974 car in your picture!

Or a funky shade of yellow!
Michael Oberg
Oh, and one more thing:

To User "Gint": If you need a 20 something to help you sand off paint, or help put your car back together again, Id love to come down to Denver and help, and learn. Ive read about your rustoration, and I must say that I am very impressed! You seem to have been doing a great job on it, and I look forward to the day I see posted pictures of you driving away in it!
GWN7
Looks like Silver Metallic

Silver Metallic
Michael Oberg
Well, thats 2 for Silver Metallic. Hrm. GWN7: The link you posted shows 2 cars, which appear to be completely different paint jobs. I was confused by that picture the first time I saw it: the first car is matte silver, and the second one is glossy, and quite a bit more blue metallic or some other hue. Or am I missing something?
Qarl
Your pictures are reflecting the blue in the sky. You think it is a silver blue metallic, but it is just silver metallic.
GWN7
That's what comes up when you click on the picture on the rennlist link on the main page. It shows what looks like two colours of the silver.

Different cameras, the time of day, where the picture was taken, how it was saved (large or small file), who took the picture, ect., can all effect what the final picture comes out like.

Not to mention your own monitor can effect how you see a picture.
MarkV
Looks like Marathon Blue to me. 74-75 only color, car in the photo looks like a 74. bs.gif

Other list of 914 colors
JeffBowlsby
I second the vote for Marathon blue metallic.
Doug Leggins
Tie breaker - Looks like Marathon Blue to me.
kafermeister
Ditto on Marathon blue. Also proper for '74 IIRC.
Qarl
I didn't think that that color was even offered.

Maybe it IS Marathon blue... cool.gif
Hawk
Hi Michael,
Like your avatar smilie_pokal.gif
Are you coming to Michigan or would you like to be included in our little group of 40 or so 914 owners here? Youre most welcome, we can add you to the email list of events.
On another note, I have left over 2 polar fleece jackets with our logo, one in red (small) and the other in black (medium) if you are interested in showing the colors with us. PM me if you want.
regards,
-hawk
anthony
I know that car. It's not silver. I'm pretty sure it's Marathon Blue.
Gint
Welcome to the board Michael.

Oh, and one more thing:

To User "Gint": If you need a 20 something to help you sand off paint, or help put your car back together again, Id love to come down to Denver and help, and learn. Ive read about your rustoration, and I must say that I am very impressed! You seem to have been doing a great job on it, and I look forward to the day I see posted pictures of you driving away in it!

Pictures? You close enough to see it in person. When it happens. I gave up trying to get it done by late summer. If it's running by spring I'll be a happy camper. Broken foot halted progress completely for now anyway.

Check my web page for a link to sign up to the local 914 email list. We get together for drives and stuff and to discuss local resources/vendors/parts etc... If you have any trouble with it, drop me an email. I know of at least one 2.0/4 for sale that isn't advertised anywhere.

Mike
Joe Bob
Gint has kids for free labor.....just don't bring bleach or let him drive yer car..... blink.gif

Love ya Ginte boy....
Drums66
I'd say Marathon blue........one of my 914 mate's has a 73' that color idea.gif
Michael Oberg
So it looks like it is Marathon Blue - Thanks for all the help, now I just have to see a 914 with this color and see if its as beautiful in person as I think it looks in the pictures. I read the "Best 914 Color" thread(s?) and I dont seem to remember anyone mentioning this particular color as their favorite...

Gint: Thanks for the link to the Colorado 914 group, ill get a Yahoo ID and sign up. Im interested in the car you know about, but I am just beginning the search for one. My wife and I have different opinions on what to get as well, she'd like a dedicated stripped-down pure racer with trailer, and I really want a clean 2.0 that could be a daily driver (oh if I could be so lucky), and still be able to take her (the car) to some races. I think I just need to have her (the wife) drive around in a few and get to know how nice it would be to drive around town and the canyons. There are many nice drives around here, just calling out for a 914 biggrin.gif

And Hawk: I feel bad - I didnt notice that my Avatar was specific to Southwest Michigan until I read your post! I just wanted to chose an avatar, and this one looked great! I really appreciate your offer, but I dont think I will be near Michigan anytime soon, Ill just have to create one for the Boulder area smile.gif
Hawk
Michael,
I didnt mean to make you feel bad. I thought we had another rare bird 914er to join us. I can send you a matrix you can play with to create Colorado "colors" if you like. Here's what our digitized logo looks like on sportswear-
Gint
ill get a Yahoo ID and sign up.

I can just add you to the list if you don't want to get a Yahoo ID. Fully half (or more) of the folks on the list don't have one. I just added them when I started the list.

Let me know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.