Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JLO's rear calipers...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
JLO's rear brakes are vented 911's most likely SC's. The calipers on the back do not have a spring lever for the parking brake cables. I want a parking brake.

Can anyone identify these calipers?

On the face of the calipers it says:

ATE P 5 or ATE D 5....(looks more like a P to me).

They have a 3 inch bolt spacing.

The vented brakes on the back have been marked 911. I measured them and they look to be ~20mm thick.

Any clues? And what caliper can I use to fit these vented rotors with the parking brake lever?

Here's a few pics.

Thanks!

Bill P.

nine14cats
another...
nine14cats
uno more...
nine14cats
I found a scribe on the vented discs that say "911T".

Is this a "911T" rear brake setup or a "911T" front setup on the back?

Thanks,

Bill P.
Aaron Cox
where do the lines enter the caliper?

911 M rears?
Aaron Cox
M fronts have a banjo fitting....

im guessing those are 911 M rears
nine14cats
Here's a pic of where the lines enter the caliper....they are at the bottom of the caliper.

Bill P.
Jeroen
if you want the stock parking brake, you can put spacers in between the stock 914 rear brakes, so they'll fit over your vented rotors
IIRC, DaveP sells these
Eric Shae may have them too

or you can adapt your rear trailing arm for 911 drumbrakes and keep the 911 calipers
davep
Yes, those are stock 69 to 83 911 rear calipers. If you want a parking brake, then either a 914/4 or 914/6 caliper with spacers would work. Or, you can adapt a 911 drum brake if you are so inclined. None of the options are inexpensive however.
bondo
There's also the option of a homebrew cable actuated spot caliper mount. There was a thread about it a while back, not sure what came of it.
neo914-6
Spacers on stock calipers are a good but don't give you a bigger caliper.

Renegade sells a small parking brake caliper that "bolt-ons" after you "modify" a mount. laugh.gif

MSD has a rear brake prototype using fact handbrake cables that he was running on his turbo 3.6...

Other options are line locks but don't know anyone with a reliable set up. Chris' line lock released while in the WCC parking lot (fortunately w/o incident.) ohmy.gif

Wheel chocks are cheap. biggrin.gif
Andyrew
The spacers he is talking about are spacers that space out the middle of the caliper so the vented rotor can fit... IE look at the rear caliper pictured, there is a spacer that can be removed.

I have them on my car... It werks guuud
neo914-6
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Apr 30 2005, 08:14 PM)
The spacers he is talking about are spacers that space out the middle of the caliper so the vented rotor can fit... IE look at the rear caliper pictured, there is a spacer that can be removed.

I have them on my car... It werks guuud

Andrew,

I know they only allow you to use 911 vented rotors, but same size calipers. Were'd you get yours?
Andyrew
IIRC from 2 years ago when I got the conversion kit (I got everything for about 500.. lots of new stuff in it), the guy said the spacer was from a 911 M caliper.

I really dont know... I remember Brad telling me something about it back when I was first doing it..
davep
The spacers in the pictured caliper can be used to space out a 914/6 caliper, those two calipers are essentially the same. Spacers for a 914/4 caliper have to be custom made. Then, usually, the rotor must be spaced from the hub to be properly centered in the caliper. The rotor, when used with a 914/4 caliper, must be reduced in diameter to avoid interference.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Neo914 @ Apr 30 2005, 07:48 PM)
Spacers on stock calipers are a good but don't give you a bigger caliper.

Renegade sells a small parking brake caliper that "bolt-ons" after you "modify" a mount. laugh.gif

MSD has a rear brake prototype using fact handbrake cables that he was running on his turbo 3.6...

Other options are line locks but don't know anyone with a reliable set up. Chris' line lock released while in the WCC parking lot (fortunately w/o incident.) ohmy.gif

Wheel chocks are cheap. biggrin.gif

Line locks and wheel chocks wont' pass muster in Texas. A Mechanical park brake is a requirement for a safety inspection here.

My rear brakes are 944 turbo calipers with custom mounts, and wilwood spot calipers for the park brake.

Eric_Shea
Dave nailed it.

Those are 911 rear M-Calipers. The best way to get what you want is to find a pair of 914-6 calipers. Use the spacers and fasteners from your 911 rear M-caliper and perform a rebuild. You'll need a 5mm rotor spacer to go on your hub prior to installing the rotor but then a vented 911 rotor will bolt right up. (looking at your current set up, it's probably in there already. Either as spacers under the caliper mounting ears or under the rotor.)

You'll have your hand brake and you'll have the same 38mm pistons that you have now. Beware... that can be a very expensive hand brake. However... weight the costs of specialty hand brakes, new cables, etc. and you're probably 6's once you find some -6 calipers.
neo914-6
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ May 1 2005, 07:36 AM)
Dave nailed it.

Those are 911 rear M-Calipers. The best way to get what you want is to find a pair of 914-6 calipers. Use the spacers and fasteners from your 911 rear M-caliper and perform a rebuild. You'll need a 5mm rotor spacer to go on your hub prior to installing the rotor but then a vented 911 rotor will bolt right up. (looking at your current set up, it's probably in there already. Either as spacers under the caliper mounting ears or under the rotor.)

You'll have your hand brake and you'll have the same 38mm pistons that you have now. Beware... that can be a very expensive hand brake. However... weight the costs of specialty hand brakes, new cables, etc. and you're probably 6's once you find some -6 calipers.

And what do -6 caliper cost these days? ohmy.gif

I saw Bill's ride last night. Considering he will have a V8, rear -6's calipers may not be sufficient...and the chocks are not cool. laugh.gif

Eric_Shea
A fellow lister here just got a pair for $400.00 ohmy.gif

Nanner, Nanner, Nanner! laugh.gif

(and I'm turning them into 914-6/GT calipers as we speak... errrr type)

I'd be willing to bet that Wilwood clamshells and cables etc. would cost about the same as a beatup pair of -6 calipers that I could make look like new wink.gif

However, like I said, expensive handbrake. I also PM'd Bill with the same deal... a V8 like that may need more brake. One final option without going "mongo" would be the last Carrera rear M-Caliper (1984 on) with a 42mm piston. Depending on the fronts he would probably need a P-valve of some type at that point. Those worked pretty well on the late model Carreras. He'll still be in hand brake search mode though...

nine14cats
Thanks for the ideas and PM Eric! smilie_pokal.gif

yeah...the brakes on JLO right now are really nice.

Felix was over last night picking up some RH parts and he mentioned they have a parking brake caliper kit.

Anyone know how much?

Thanks,

Bill P.
neo914-6
QUOTE (nine14cats @ May 1 2005, 09:01 AM)
Thanks for the ideas and PM Eric! smilie_pokal.gif

yeah...the brakes on JLO right now are really nice.  

Felix was over last night picking up some RH parts and he mentioned they have a parking brake caliper kit.

Anyone know how much?

Thanks,

Bill P.

I recall $300-350...but I notice they don't list the price on their site...

I'm sure they private label someones, maybe Wilwoods...

Thanks again for the parts! smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.