Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fiberglass hints?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
smash.gif

My front spoiler is in need of some repair. I had some cracking throughout the whole piece and tore it in a couple spots getting it on the trailer. I am grinding off the paint and gel coat and feathering the edge on each side. Put some woven matt on the back, then the front. Then another coat with copped matt to smooth it out. Sound right?

I guess some filler to get it smooth - what should I use on something that will see some impacts and bending?

Also, how should I support the matt where I am making a bridge from piece to piece? I may cut the spoiler lengthwise and add a 1/2 inch if I can support it correctly.

Thanks!
Jeroen
only use matt on the backside of the spoiler, not the front
feather out the cracks, like you suggested, fill them with bondo and sand to a smooth surface (only visible bondo when finished should be in the crack)
root
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

There's a 100 ways to do it, right! If it's the spoiler in a hard to see location
I'd recommend getting serious with some small metal structural pieces behind the
crack, on a diagonal to the crack. Matte and resin in the metal, if you are concerned 'bought disimilar materials you can get inexpensive structural fiberglass from McMaster Carr (90 degree 1' angle X 5ft. long for <$6 each). biggrin.gif
URY914
If the gap or opening isn't too big between the two pieces, I use masking or duct tape on the back side to support the f/g material. Be sure to get all the air bubbles out from under the mat. Air is not too strong.

I personally wouldn't want to make the repaired area too much stronger than the surounding area. Because when you bump it next time it will be a bigger area to repair. And you may rip out the mounting tabs, which will be another PITA to fix.

PAul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.