Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting the 914 with all the gauges removef
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Pulling the dash gauges out and sending them to Timothy for the LED treatment and overhaul WOW his work looks so good!

I don't like to let her sit a month in February in a cold garage with Texas temps in the low 50's. lol-2.gif winter is brutal here.

So if I turn the key will she crank over?
cgnj
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 23 2017, 06:48 PM) *

Pulling the dash gauges out and sending them to Timothy for the LED treatment and overhaul WOW his work looks so good!

I don't like to let her sit a month in February in a cold garage with Texas temps in the low 50's. lol-2.gif winter is brutal here.

So if I turn the key will she crank over?

It should, may get a little electron action if the leads for the gauges short.

Low 50's that's balmy.
mzalanka
Yup, she'll start. Make sure the various leads aren't touching each other or the chassis aforehand to avoid blowing fuses. Ask me how I know.
Olympic 914
As I understand, the alternator light is part of the charging system. So it probably won't charge without that bulb in.

Other than that I don't see why it wouldn't run.
bandjoey
Ahhh. So the light only keeps the alternator from charging but nothing to do with the motor running. Perfect. Thanks guys
bandjoey
Ahhh. So the light only keeps the alternator from charging but nothing to do with the motor running. Perfect. Thanks guys
porschetub
If you run it for any length of time I would refit the altenator lamp,get a double pin lamp holder so you can connect it to a ground wire (brown) inside the dash and the light will work.
I don't know if could hurt the altenator without the light but I'am most likely being over cautious.
bandjoey
Good idea. That's been my worry. I don't want to fry the alternator.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jan 24 2017, 10:44 AM) *

If you run it for any length of time I would refit the altenator lamp,get a double pin lamp holder so you can connect it to a ground wire (brown) inside the dash and the light will work.

No, no--do not ground the light! The alternator light is connected to two different power sources, and it turns on when there is a difference in voltage between those two. Grounding part of the light is not going to do what you want...

--DD
porschetub
Correct Dave,sorry to the OP ,light should hook up as per original wiring, beer.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.