Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI Harness question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skline
Going through all the parts here and found this brand new custom 2 liter FI harness for a 914 Porsche. It appears to be complete and I was wondering if anyone knows who made it and if there was any documentation for these. See the pictures and tell me a story. biggrin.gif
skline
Closer pictures
skline
more, even closer
skline
This thing is really well made and each wire is labled where it goes.
skline
more
JeffBowlsby
The guy that made that is named Randy________, don't remember his last name. Remember him from about 4-5 years ago? He was the only guy building FI harnesses and became extremely unreliable. His work was top notch (way overkill really) so that FI harness you have is excellent quality. He charged something like $550 then for them and it always seemed to take about 6 months-to-a year to ship. He dropped out of contact a few years ago.
jet1
Wow that is nice! Too bad its no longer available. My harness is a mess. I don't think I would ever pay $550 for one though.
ws91420
Scott if you got that from Jeff Bonnanno that is a RES harness that I had bought to put on mine till I decided to switch to carbs. I sold all my FI stuff to Jeff including that harness. If the brain box has ACTHUNG written on it in faded marker it is for a 76 2.0.

Should be 4 new injectors there also.
skline
Yeah, I found all the parts to it and am considering installing it in the 74 when I pull the engine for paint. I figured I would clean up the engine, powder coat all the sheet metal and reinstall everything with the new harness. It would really look clean.
skline
QUOTE (ws91420 @ Apr 30 2005, 06:12 PM)
Scott if you got that from Jeff Bonnanno that is a REI harness that I had bought to put on mine till I decided to switch to carbs. I sold all my FI stuff to Jeff including that harness. If the brain box has ACTHUNG written on it in faded marker it is for a 76 2.0.

Should be 4 new injectors there also.

Thats the one. I will have to check on it, but as I recall, there is no difference in the brain or wiring from 73 to 76 for the FI.
ws91420
I think the only difference is in the brain itself. The harness use milspec wire and if i remember it was upgrade to the teflon coat b/c of the wait I had for it. Put it to good use Scott. I had it installed in the car but never really used it.
echocanyons
REI or RES systems?
ws91420
RES systems ill edit my post
JeffBowlsby
but as I recall, there is no difference in the brain or wiring from 73 to 76 for the FI

The ECUs and the FI harnesses are very different. You can probably interchange the complete FI system from engine to engine, but don't intermingle parts.

While his materials and workmanship is impeccable, I am leery of all the connectors he used. He did it for convenience in that you would not have to unbolt the ECU for an engine drop for example, but each one of those extra connectors is a potential place for corrosion, an open circuit or other issue.
CptTripps
That harness looks KILLER! If you ever want to sell it.... biggrin.gif

I'm thinking about going back to FI on my 2.0.
type47fan
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Apr 30 2005, 04:50 PM)
The guy that made that is named Randy________, don't remember his last name.  Remember him from about 4-5 years ago?  He was the only guy building FI harnesses and became extremely unreliable.  His work was top notch (way overkill really) so that FI harness you have is excellent quality.  He charged something like $550 then for them and it always seemed to take about 6 months-to-a year to ship.  He dropped out of contact a few years ago.

I remember corresponding with Randy in 1999 when I was going to do a rebuild on a '73 2.0 I had. In fact, it was through discussions with him and $500 wiring harnesses, that convinced me to convert my '73 to a V8! By the time I added up all of the costs of redoing only the FI, I figured I could put together a really nice, mild (250 HP) V8 for less than the 85 HP four banger. I was correct!

Put it to good use, Scott. You've got gold there.
skline
QUOTE (bowlsby @ Apr 30 2005, 07:05 PM)
but as I recall, there is no difference in the brain or wiring from 73 to 76 for the FI

The ECUs and the FI harnesses are very different. You can probably interchange the complete FI system from engine to engine, but don't intermingle parts.

While his materials and workmanship is impeccable, I am leery of all the connectors he used. He did it for convenience in that you would not have to unbolt the ECU for an engine drop for example, but each one of those extra connectors is a potential place for corrosion, an open circuit or other issue.

Jeff, the connectors he used are the same ones you would find on a new car with the waterproof connectors. Look closely at where the injectors and other plugs are, the yellow is a seal that makes it waterproof just like the new car have. I dont think water will ever be an issue.
ws91420
Scott that was the reason I orignally bought it. What you have is the FI harness. I kept the part for the charging system and starter when I sold it to Jeff. biggrin.gif It was worth the wait if I hadn't had other problems w/ getting the FI to work.
sean_v8_914
teh main harness connector is a MIL spec Amphanol/Cannon. they are tough, reliable and still available from Newark, Digikey...take pics and I acn even give you the part number
the intermediate injector plugs are automotive grade OEM Ford/GM. They have a 3 bead water seal on teh male end. these too are extremely rugged, and expensive

although Jeff has a valid point, I would trust these high quality plugs to perform.

there is a special silicone based grease that shold be used as a water block moisture barrier. Allpy a moderate amount of Dow Corning DC-4 or teh thicker DC-111. DC4 is available from Digikey and Newark Electronnics
sean_v8_914
the shrink tubing used is TAT-glue center water blocked also.

that is a nice Pc. I would use it in a NY second

if it has teflon wire inside, that would just be extra icing on teh already decadently sweet cake

I guess you have a stock 2.0 harness available now...I need one for the orange 2.0
skline
Very good suggestion Sean.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.