Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bought a '72 914 -It's Going to Australia
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Midway
I've been interested in these for many years so have now succumbed to curiosity and purchased a 1.7. I have never seen one in the metal and they were not exported to our country from the factory. When I collect it from the port of Fremantle it will be a big first for me!

It has the original fuel injection and has just been tuned and runs well. As 914 specific service items and parts are not readily available here in Oz some suggestions as to what I should get over and above plugs and oil to import with the car would be appreciated.

I have a set of Fuchs 5 stud wheels (see avatar) that will go on it. Has any one got some hubs they would part with that could be sent to PMB to be prepared for the conversion kit? I might put a request up in the WTB section and perhaps chase an engine also to build up into a 2+ litre unit later on.

Anyway, any ideas or help will be appreciated.
ConeDodger
Without knowing more about the car, it's tough to say what spares to put in the trunks.

914Rubber faithfully reproduces a lot of parts, and where he deviates from that faith, he improves on the original.

As far as used parts, Garold Shaffer and Bruce Stone are the guys to watch for in the Classified section. Or, alternatively, PM either of them and they will hunt down your part if it can be found.

Original Customs has built, crated and shipped engines overseas.

Good luck! welcome.png
mepstein
I have a set of rear five lug hubs from pmb $250 + 20 ship
I have an extra engine harness and computer in good working condition $125 + 20 ship
scraperhand
Wow Albany, lived there for 5 years back in the 90's out near rocky crossing rd, enjoyed having a brew at the prem ,white star and out at Middleton beach before they knocked it down, I can recommend Peter Sutcliffe at ardrossan customs services for the clearance for your car ,he's the owner, one of the most honest, knowledgeable,efficent businesses I've come across.
Midway
Thanks for your responses fella's. I'll think about those parts and get back to you if required. So to be a bit more specific, based on two PPIs I believe the car to be in very good condition and well maintained. So operating on that assumption and predicting that it will be driven on the weekends so around 2-3000 miles per year (big guess here) then I'm thinking mostly service items and the sort of things that commonly wear or break would be the spares to get.

Here is a tentative list -
Ignition service bits e.g. like the Ignition Super Kit on Pelican Parts.
Clutch cable?
Accelerator cable?
Speedometer cable?
Targa Top Seal - what one mostly wears there and is likely to need replacing?
What other seals gaskets?
Bushes, which ones?

Should I leave some of those out and put in others? I'm just after a bit of info for the common bits that would be sensible to put in the car without wasting money any more than I need to -pretty good at that already smile.gif
Thanks.
Midway
QUOTE(scraperhand @ Jan 26 2017, 11:37 AM) *

Wow Albany, lived there for 5 years back in the 90's out near rocky crossing rd, enjoyed having a brew at the prem ,white star and out at Middleton beach before they knocked it down, I can recommend Peter Sutcliffe at ardrossan customs services for the clearance for your car ,he's the owner, one of the most honest, knowledgeable,efficent businesses I've come across.

Incredible! It is amazing the connectivity you get with these forums. The beers are better now with all these boutique outfits popping up. I'm going down to Middleton Beach now to enjoy Australia Day celebrations -live in the suburb anyway. Thanks for the info mate (talking like an Aussie now).
PanelBilly
A set of points and a fuel filter or two might be a good investment. How original is the car and what is its condition? There's lots of things from 914 rubber that you might need, but it's hard to make suggestions without more information.

Welcome to Teenerville
Midway
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jan 26 2017, 11:57 AM) *

A set of points and a fuel filter or two might be a good investment. How original is the car and what is its condition? There's lots of things from 914 rubber that you might need, but it's hard to make suggestions without more information.

Welcome to Teenerville

Thanks for the reply.
It is in very good condition and the non-original components are the sideshift transmission, KYB rear shocks and muffler. I think the rubber bits are good but I'm assuming certain sections where the targa top fits would be more suseptable to wear or damage in the future than other rubber parts. If that is the case, which parts would they be?
maddin
I'd get at least all the stuff necessary for the 5-lug conversion shipped with the car...postage to Australia is an absolute killer,believe me!
I'd even think about a spare windscreen..
Have a look through the 914rubber site and get everything you need from there sent with the car too,not too many spare cars in Australia to pick from.Especially large parts,like bumper tops.
Also consider replacing the rubber fuel lines with a stainless steel kit from tangerine racing...might seem a lot of additional costs but the amount you'll save on postage is worth it... :-) post a pic of the car!! I have a 72' too
Midway
QUOTE(maddin @ Jan 26 2017, 04:06 PM) *

I'd get at least all the stuff necessary for the 5-lug conversion shipped with the car...postage to Australia is an absolute killer,believe me!
I'd even think about a spare windscreen..
Have a look through the 914rubber site and get everything you need from there sent with the car too,not too many spare cars in Australia to pick from.Especially large parts,like bumper tops.
Also consider replacing the rubber fuel lines with a stainless steel kit from tangerine racing...might seem a lot of additional costs but the amount you'll save on postage is worth it... :-) post a pic of the car!! I have a 72' too

Thanks for the info maddin. Yeah, I know about postage having bought in stuff from the USA like wheels etc to feed the motorcycle addiction. Interesting you mentioned the windscreen as I was planning to put one in the container for for the old 356 that needs restoring. I'm also learning American - a car boot is called a trunk, a windscreen is a windshield, a tyre is a tire...
crsedge
Congrats (oh and Happy Australia Day)! smile.gif

I have had 2 914s and am in Melbourne, am currently 914-less at the moment and on the hunt for a project rust-free shell (but preferably RHD converted).

I would speak with Sherman Conversions in QLD; I believe they could do a 5-lug disc for the Fuchs. Would be cheaper if they did!

Cheers

Craig
EdwardBlume
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
Midway
QUOTE(crsedge @ Jan 26 2017, 05:57 PM) *

Congrats (oh and Happy Australia Day)! smile.gif

I have had 2 914s and am in Melbourne, am currently 914-less at the moment and on the hunt for a project rust-free shell (but preferably RHD converted).

I would speak with Sherman Conversions in QLD; I believe they could do a 5-lug disc for the Fuchs. Would be cheaper if they did!

Cheers

Craig

And a good Australia Day to you too Craig. Supposedly 39 degrees today but down the beach - beautiful! I'll check out the Sherman Operation and see what they can do. Your 914,s did they have RHD conversions? I'm in two minds about that because the car I'm getting should be a good rust free machine and I may not want to start permanent mods to it. If it is just too weird or feels unsafe driving from the left side then I'll do the conversion without hesitation.

I wonder how many 914,s are on the road here in Oz? When I contacted the WA Porsche club the president didn't know of any in this state.
maddin

check the 914 registry.. hasn't been updated since 2009 so there would be quite a few more in the country.
Can't remember who I was talking to but somebody said there could be around 100-150 in Oz.
914 registry

If it's a decent car you have I'd leave it as it is...
PanelBilly
Where is the car now? It might be wise to have a member do an inspection of the rubber bits and put together a list for you
amfab
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 25 2017, 06:40 AM) *

I have a set of rear five lug hubs from pmb $250 + 20 ship
I have an extra engine harness and computer in good working condition $125 + 20 ship

PM sent re the 5-lug hubs if Midwaydoesnt want them
amfab
One thing, don't the hubs spin the other way in Australia?
mlindner
Thats 39 celcius....over 100 deg. F. Nice.......Best, Mark
Downunderman
G'day from Sydney,

All of the above re parts, but you really wont know what you need until you put it on a hoist and have a good look. I can help you with a 2 litre, and I need a 1.7. PM me.

For the 5 lug stuff ring Porschapart in Melbourne or Stan Adler at Performance 9 in QLD. If you are considering a RHD conversion its lot of work, but worth it.

Welcome to the madness.

Cheers,

Howie
Downunderman
BTW, Windscreens O'Brien have the screens and Shannons give you a free one each year. I had mine replaced a few years ago.

Cheers,

Howie
Midway
Thanks for all the replies, they are valued. The car was carefully inspected by a member so I'll PM him for some details on the rubber.

Re the 5 lug hubs, I should know what I'm going to do there within the next two to three days - waiting on some replies and will follow up Howie's suggestions. That windscreen info is usefull Howie, thanks for that, I'll PM you regarding the engine.

Seems like there are a few Australian members in this forum, almost enough to start a dedicated Oz 914 Garage thread!

Amfab, if I put the left one on the RHS that should solve the problem smile.gif

amfab
QUOTE(Midway @ Jan 26 2017, 04:42 PM) *

Amfab, if I put the left one on the RHS that should solve the problem smile.gif

Brilliant!

I would have been backing up everywhere
Shadowfax
welcome.png
Mikey914
Shipping to OZ can be a little spendy.

Did the member that looked tell you about the rubber? I do have just about anything you can use. Let me know I can send to be consolidated if you wish.
Mark
Midway
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 28 2017, 12:50 AM) *

Shipping to OZ can be a little spendy.

Did the member that looked tell you about the rubber? I do have just about anything you can use. Let me know I can send to be consolidated if you wish.
Mark

Thanks Mark.
I sent something last night on your contact form providing the info.
Cheers
Andreas
Midway
Another thing I thought about is registration in Western Australia. The car will require another side mirror and both need to be flat. I know the RHS door already has the mounting nuts in place and I believe that the RHS mirror is the same as the LHS? Can anyone help out here confirming that or even have one they have no need for?
Thanks.
Andreas
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Midway @ Jan 28 2017, 05:55 AM) *

I believe that the RHS mirror is the same as the LHS? Can anyone help out here confirming that or even have one they have no need for?

Andreas, you are correct. The standard stock mirror can be flipped and mounted to either door. They are not hard to find here, eBay, etc.
Midway
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jan 28 2017, 08:49 PM) *

I believe that the RHS mirror is the same as the LHS? Can anyone help out here confirming that or even have one they have no need for?

Andreas, you are correct. The standard stock mirror can be flipped and mounted to either door. They are not hard to find here, eBay, etc.

Thanks for that. I forgot about my Johnson 914 book and it mentions on p43 that the size, shape and arm angle changed for 1972. Looking at for sale ads don't seem to specify pre 72 or 72 and later though. Anyway, I'll put up a WTB request.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Midway @ Jan 28 2017, 07:41 AM) *

QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jan 28 2017, 08:49 PM) *

Thanks for that. I forgot about my Johnson 914 book and it mentions on p43 that the size, shape and arm angle changed for 1972. Looking at for sale ads don't seem to specify pre 72 or 72 and later though. Anyway, I'll put up a WTB request.

The early mirrors have a sharper right angle on the piece that connects the mirror to the base which bolts to the door. I think I have one spare mirror. I get $75 for a good mirror. It might need a new glass which any glass shop can make. I have a shop near me that charges $20 to make one.
welcome.png

And I have a shop full of 914 parts for what ever may come up that you need. Very familiar with shipping to AU and how to keep cost down.

Bruce
Midway
Good stuff Bruce.
I now have the mirror requirement sorted.
Will keep you in mind for other parts.
DaveO90s4
In answer to your original post - another 914.

Dave

Bne
Midway
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Jan 29 2017, 06:23 PM) *

Dave

Bne

Yeah, I'm being a bit conservative the way I'm dipping my toe into the 914 world smile.gif
maddin
QUOTE(Midway @ Jan 29 2017, 09:35 PM) *

QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Jan 29 2017, 06:23 PM) *

Dave

Bne

Yeah, I'm being a bit conservative the way I'm dipping my toe into the 914 world smile.gif

..you know how the devil works...you offer him your pinkie and he takes your soul!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.