Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So how bad is the tail shift transmission?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McLovin
Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a 1970 914. It has the old style transmission. But the car is in pretty good shape. Are they as bad as they say they are? I've been driving VW beetles and they always have a kind of "vague" shift. Are these worse than that?

Thanks,

McLovin
mountainroads
QUOTE(McLovin @ Jan 25 2017, 07:16 AM) *

Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying a 1970 914. It has the old style transmission. But the car is in pretty good shape. Are they as bad as they say they are? I've been driving VW beetles and they always have a kind of "vague" shift. Are these worse than that?

Thanks,

McLovin

I can only speak from personal experience. I think it depends on your frame of reference. My first -6 had the original tail shifter and I don't remember it being so bad. My current -6 has the side shifter and it seems fine, but I can't say I notice any big improvement over #1. My frame of reference for -6 #1 was a 1961 Karmann Ghia. My frame of reference for -6 #2 is pre-1973 911s.

- MR
GeorgeRud
The 914-6 had a unique shifter that wasn't shared with the -4. I think that if all the bushings are fresh, the tail shifters are acceptable though not as nice as the side shifters. It's really a function of how many joints are in the linkage. The VW Beetles and 911s have a much more direct linkage to the transmission, so shift better.

If the rest of the car is solid, I wouldn't pass on it just because it's a tail shifter. You could always convert it laterif desired.
McLovin
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jan 25 2017, 10:26 AM) *

Hi guys,

Thanks,

McLovin

I can only speak from personal experience. I think it depends on your frame of reference. My first -6 had the original tail shifter and I don't remember it being so bad. My current -6 has the side shifter and it seems fine, but I can't say I notice any big improvement over #1. My frame of reference for -6 #1 was a 1961 Karmann Ghia. My frame of reference for -6 #2 is pre-1973 911s.

- MR

That was exactly the answer I was looking for. I don't miss shifts on my VW. As long as it's relatively comparable, that'll be good enough for me!

Thanks!
mountainroads
QUOTE(McLovin @ Jan 25 2017, 07:36 AM) *

QUOTE(mountainroads @ Jan 25 2017, 10:26 AM) *

Hi guys,

Thanks,

McLovin

- MR

That was exactly the answer I was looking for. I don't miss shifts on my VW. As long as it's relatively comparable, that'll be good enough for me!

Thanks!

George's advice is solid, also. Don't make it a deal-breaker. You can always upgrade later.

- MR
mepstein
Same here. I learned on a 914 tailshiftet. Replace all the bushings and adjust. It's vague but part of the charm.
forrestkhaag
agree.gif Rebush the tail shifter and sort out later when time permits.

Side shifter trannys come up often here on the boards and even the conversion is no big deal. bdstone914@aol.com has conversion rods and parts quite reguralery too.

I found considerable improvement from a newly bushed and adjusted tail shifter to a side shift 901. I bought an unknown condition 901 box and all linkage for 300 bucks. I bolted it up and found it perfect in all aspects relative to syncros, linkage, operational range. That was an easy fix. Use jackstands or a lift properly when under your car....

beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
If the bushings are worn, a tail-shift car will be much worse than an old Bug.

If the bushings are good and the wear parts are OK, it should be comparable.

--DD
oldie914
I drove them back in the early 1970's when they were new or at least not worn out. The 914/4 tail shifter was terrible compared to my previous experience with British cars, Corvette and Corvair but you could find the gears.
I bought a 914/6 and drove it for 50,000Km. It shifted OK (much better than the 914/4) but you had to be careful with the 1st/2nd shift.
I moved on to 911's but tried a friend's 914 with side shifter back in 1974. Nice, thats what Porsche should have developed before introducing the 914.
Bottom line: replace bushing to get the slop out of the tail shifter linkage and you can drive it but plan on conversion to a side shifter.
dlee6204
agree.gif

I agree with most of the above. New bushings and get it properly adjusted and then it's manageable.

Side shifters are nice though. A few upgrades to a side shifter setup makes the world of difference.
Rand
It's an ironic topic for me. The one tail shift car I owned shifted better than all three of my sideshifts. But that's not because of the shifter configuration, it was just in better shape. I just keep ending up with cars that need new synchros. headbang.gif Time to crack this one open. I wish Dr Evil was planning another trip to the PNW.

Don't base a car buying decision on side vs tail. Test drive it. If it doesn't shift to your liking, then pass or plan on some maintenance and negotiate accordingly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.