Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Prepping RD sheet metal.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mbseto
The panels from RD have some sort of primer coat on them, I don't think it is a weld-through type. Just wondering what the typical prep process is... Where I need to weld, I've been wheeling the coat off and applying weld-through primer. For the rest of it, it looks like everyone applies an anti-rust coat- are you removing the existing coat and using your own primer, then applying anti-rust, or just primering and anti-rust right over what's there?
Thanks...
BeatNavy
I believe the coating is galvanneal. Yeah, you do get poor welds if you don't at least hit it with a wire brush. I think you don't have to do anything special for paint prep though.

Not sure if you saw this thread from a couple months back: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...299206&st=0
amfab
It is not a weld-through coating, they are using Galvanneal steel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mKmYt_uwIA

They do not specify how to weld it in that video.
It is galvanized but it is heated afterwards so the top creates a bit of an alloy so the zinc will not flake.

I assume: grind the spots, then weld using a weld-through primer. That is what they seem to do in their videos. I know Lincoln makes some specialty wire for this application that allows direct welding of it but I haven't researched it that much. It may be for some specific industrial welders. If you find anything else out let me know as I have a pile of RD parts I just had delivered.

edit: Yeah what Rob said,

-Andrew
VaccaRabite
In some of thier videos they do specify to remove the primer from the area you are welding before you weld it.

A coat of weld through primer is also a very good idea.

Zach
mbseto
Thanks, guys... From the linked threads, outside of welded areas looks like you can just clean, prime, and paint. I'm talking longs right now, so no visible surfaces, just painting for protection.

Found that thread on milling the front trunk floor pan dies- I used to work in the press business, and maybe I've inhaled too much zinc but I never get tired of looking at that stuff.
Mark Henry
It's not a coating, it's galvaneal so it's right through the metal, but I'd hit the welding edge with a wire brush or scotchbrite pad and degrease it.
Don't use brake cleaner it becomes a poison if you burn it.
They then spray it with a weld through primer, as it can rust along the weld seam.

A few of RD parts are painted (mostly brown primer IIRC) those of course you have to sand back the paint.

Like all welding make sure you do it in a well ventilated area.
914forme
Informative PDF on welding galvanized steel

I have use the 3M masks recommended in this article all the time, they work great and are very cheap insurance.
Dion
Stephen, thanks for the PDF posting. Very informative. Appreciate that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.