Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Racer Chris in action again!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
william harris
Just spoke to Chris Foley today. He is at New Hampshire International Speedway for a SCCA race weekend. Chris reports that after qualifying he is third on the grid! Mind you this is on his backup motor. There are three other 914s there and several have also qualified well. I will be attending the race tomorrow and promise a full report and lots of pictures - hopefully Chris will end up in the winner's circle. smilie_pokal.gif
URY914
I'm a member of the Racer Chris fan club too.

GO CHRIS GO smilie_pokal.gif driving.gif

Paul
Thorshammer
Erik Here!

914's are well represented here at NHIS.

FP: Chris Foley, Ed Givler, Tom Burge
EP: Erik Madsen
GT-2: Steve Limbert

Heres how the day went:

Chris got some good times in the morning qualifying 3rd on the grid. He also went out for the rain qualifyer, even though his times would not improve over the dry morning session he wanted to go. Looped it once, he has some camera footage.

Ed got to the track where he and his crew set about getting his car track ready. He got 7 laps in the afternoon and felt the engine was decent. Good oil pressure and temps etc... His times were very slow due to running in the new engine.

Tom Burge was a little slow in the morning practice.

I (Erik) got three laps and had another cv joint failure. My bilsteins seem to allow 2.5 inches more droop than Chris'. His upper mounts are changed so that may be some of it. Anyway, Built some droop limiters and added a 1/2 inch delrin buffer for the end of the axle. Also added a second circlip to limit the CV joint inner hub movement. I qualified 4th right next to Chris and 2nd in class. My main competition is a guy in a RX7 Chris is a GTI rabbit that has recently been reclassified into FP. If this car doesn't run at the front in FP at the Runoffs I would be surprised.

Steve Limbert qualified about 8th in GT 2.

Tomorrow is the race. If it stops raining it will be a good show, if not, everyone will just be surviving. Forecast says rain AM changing to cloudy and 60 degrees for tomorrow afternoon. Should be interesting. I hope to run a 1:14 in the dry. If I can do that and the car stays together, it will be a good day.

Erik Madsen
grasshopper
good luck chris!
redshift
Yeah man! Good luck to you too Erik! You guys be fast, and be safe!

M
guywan914
Good Luck Chris, keep us posted William. Can't wait to see some pics
Rleog
William and Erik..

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to hear how Sunday went.
william harris
Lousy weather today, raining right up to the race for our guys. 30 minutes before the race Chris switched over to this rain tires and Erik bought race tires at the track. Stopped raining just before the race, but the track was plenty wet and sloppy. Erik absolutely ruled the track - Placed 1st in EP and lapped most of the field. Here a few shots of his mean ride. smilie_pokal.gif
william harris
These pictures were taken before Erik swapped tires and mounted up the rain tires.
william harris
Here's the motor and can this thing move. burnout.gif
william harris
It was a real thrill to watch a race with four 914s participating. Chris ran a real strong race and finished 2nd in FP. The 1st place car in FP was a VW rabbit that ran in EP last year and somehow was dropped down to FP. Chris says the rabbit had 40 horsepower advantage on him. Chris kept it real close until late in the race he had an off track excursion at turn 9 in the back.
william harris
There's Chris and Mary in the background on the previous picture getting ready the change over to rain tires just before the race. The Tangerine Racing car is absolutely beautiful to watch out on the course. wub.gif
william harris
Here's a shot under the hood showing the ducting to the brakes and oil coolers. Chris' car is a masterpiece of preparation and presentation. Now, we need to get the big motor back in for the next race. A few more HP and the rabbit would have been bagged. driving.gif
william harris
More.
william harris
This is Ed's car. I understand that Erick Madsden worked over the last couple of days rebuilding the bottom of Ed's motor so that he could race today. Another well prepared 914.
william harris
Another view.
william harris
Next of Ed's car.
william harris
Last one. After this the camera died because I forgot to charge the battery last night. I asked the other guys there to add to this thread with more pics later. Guys, the 914 racers really did us proud today. beerchug.gif
J P Stein
Atta go, Eric & Chris......I mention Eric first cause he put himself there ....and in his first race in a new car....and cause he has a 6er....not that I'm biased laugh.gif
jd74914
Sweet. Congrats Chris and Erik. Crhris, now all you need is the new Raby engine smilie_pokal.gif
guywan914
Congrats gentlemen, Chris just think what you can do with that extra hp!!!
pete-stevers
Did you get a pic of the rabbit????
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (pete-stevers @ May 1 2005, 07:23 PM)
Did you get a pic of the rabbit????

This is an old pic of the GTI. As you can see we've fought it out on track in the past!
He was nearly penalized for excessive track width after the race. I guess the officials re-measured and found him to be right on the limit. unsure.gif
This is the same car I chased around Lime Rock Park last fall in the NARRC Runoffs.

Around lap 24 I was reeling him in slowly and set my best time of the race. On the next lap I tried just a little too hard. I attempted to keep my gas foot flat on the pedal through a tricky section at the top of the track (turn 8) and found out why it was a bad idea. I had to go straight off onto a downhill gravel slope to get the car slowed down. I ended up finishing about 15 seconds behind the GTI.

Erik absolutely smoked the field in only his first National! Way to go Erik!
9146R
Thanks guys for the updates...great pix. Continued success to you all !
Thorshammer
Thanks to our supporters this weekend, Race, not Athletic.

The race was interesting, It was in the rain which started about an hour before we went to grid, Then while at grid, the rain stopped and the drying began. Anytime you are in the rain, its like driving really fast in the dry except for the lack of feedback when the car is going to break loose. Also its alot of luck, Some skill but mostly luck.

After bolting on the rains, I took all of the spacers from behind the wheels to narrow the rear track. You can usually gain some rear grip this way. and it seemed to work pretty good.

Chris was on the inside of row 2, me on the outside of row 2, I knew I was going to be very conservative the first couple laps. Chris got a good start and I got passed into turn three by a BMW. After messing with brake bias so I could stop the thing, I started to move up. The Goodyear rains worked well, but it was drying. I moved up to second and followed the leader in an RX7 for a couple laps. His car had some significant understeer on the exit, and entering turn three it had oversteer which he saved every lap like it was planned.

Into turn three he lost the rear but did not gather it up right away, which allowed me to go inside turn four (up the hill right hander) he stayed with me for a couple turns, and then started to fade back a bit. I pushed to make some time and almost looped it twice. The rest of the race was just trying to keep the tires cool because a dry line was forming and rain tire don't work well when they are overheated (very soft). I saw Ed a couple times as well as Tom Burge. He was struggling (Tom) with some sort of problem? Not sure. Ed was getting along fine and got a third. My first National win, hell, my first win period, regional or National. Felt Great.

The car ran great, I want to Thank Chris and his wife Mary for helping me and Thanks to William for the blogging duties. It was nice to meet you William.

Next Race Nelson Ledges Memorial Day weekend.

Erik Madsen
bam914
It sure is great to see my old car again(Ed's) It has not changed a bit, except for some diffferent decals. I am glad to see so many 914 racing in prod again. I wish there were more down here in Georgia. I sometimes wish I never sold it. Good job this weekend.

Blake
J P Stein
Eric:
Your win is really quite an accomplishment, I am highly impressed. Watching you build tha sucker I figured it was gonna be quick, but....damn!!

Give em' hell and we'll see you at the Run Offs, right? biggrin.gif
Thorshammer
JP,

My hope is the Runoffs this year, Mid Ohio is where they should be. It will be the last one I attend until they move it from Heartland Park. Even with the lack of proper paddock space, I love MO. Been to Heartland Park on a motorcycle it sucks, boring. So for me, this will be the only Runoffs possibly. Need to run well.

Blake,

It was a helluva ride to come get the car. But don't worry, most all the parts are getting used. The trans I got from you is going into my buddies FP 914, yep another one, they are mulitplying.

Brad Roberts
smilie_pokal.gif Great job Eric/Chris/Ed

Sooo happy to see 914's on grid.. it almost makes me pee my pants.

Now.. we need to work on sponsoring you guy's.

B
william harris
So Brad, exactly who would the sponsor be? Have you found a new home? I am assuming that you are no longer at HPH? Details please and by the way, really good to have you back on the board. As you may know, Racer Chris is sponsored by Raby and Len Hoffman. This means alot of technical and mechanical help, but no money. Hey, we are all just having fun, you mean somebody will pay you for this stuff. lol2.gif
Brad Roberts
I'd like for the club to sponsor several people. I know the tires are most expensive for them all. I'm betting I can get a deal on Goodyears if they all ran the same compound (typically R430)

Right this minute I'm working on a computer deal that would have me traveling to motorsports events around the USA. It will include PRO help for sponsors/marketing/parts sales/event promotion and possibly a "914club" magazine. We will see. They want to help me grow awareness for the "non-club" and they need my help to grow.

B
william harris
Go Brad Go!!! Can you imagine a 914 magazine? Anyway, figure out a way to come to Boston. Lime Rock and NHIS are close and there has to be some good excuse to fly here with somebody else paying. happy11.gif I will personally show you the sites and you are welcome to stay at my house. smile.gif
Thorshammer
Brads correct,

Tires are the biggest expense, 430 compound goodyears is what I use. Chris is on Hoosiers. Ed on Hoosiers, Limbert Goodyears, Burge ?
After tires theres gas, Race fuel, Hotel (anyone got stupid points on their reward cars to spare a few nights), oil, brake pads, food. Yes I know we are the ones having the fun, its true!

All the 914 guys are trying to make the Runoffs this year. Heres a list of probables, followed by a list of possibles:

Chris Foley
Les Handly
Steve Limbert
Tom Burge
Erik Madsen

Ed Givler, keep it up Ed
Kevin Groot, only in the possibles list cause I am not sure but know it is his plan.
Please post anyone elses possibility

As for the Runoffs: If we could organize a "914 Club" tent in the main paddock area it would be alot of fun. All 914's racers would be asked/invited to be in it, with only one stipulation. Get along and remember we are the only ones stupid enough or smart enough to race these cars.

But to do this. We would need someone to step up and handle it. The duties would include securing the tent space in the main PAVED paddock witht the SCCA and Mid Ohio, renting a tent probably 30X40?30X60? I have no idea, but enough for 6-8 cars. Setting it up, taking it down. A grill master, Fuel runner,video journalist, some eye candie, oops did I say that. Maybe I am whacked after all. Just thoughts, what are yours.

Erik Madsen
Brad Roberts
Let me tell the "new guy's" what you want to do at MO this year. Get me some pricing on the tents/crap. They plan to help me organize ALL914 feature races at several National Vintage events here and on the east coast.

B
Brad Roberts
Eric,

I would imagine that Chris/Ed..and all the others would go to Goodyear if the price was "right". I'm sure Limbert is on radials. I'm betting 24 Goodyears could be had for a decent price. I'm still good friends with Roger and Brandon Krause. They are VERY tight with Goodyear.. and I have never asked them for anything..LOL

B
ChrisFoley
Someone would have to be bending over backward for me to switch to Goodyears. Hoosier Tire East is less than ten minutes from my shop. I can go over there and have my tires mounted and balanced at no additional charge almost any day of the week. Besides, my second place finish is good for one free tire.
I'm gonna run their 35 compound and see how long they last. I think they will stand up fine and give me better grip in the corners compared to the 45's I've been using. I take the 45's off long before the rubber is worn off them.

BTW, I'm all for a PORSCHE 914 tent at MO if someone will do the organizing. That would be a great way for the club to sponsor us IMO. Mazda, Nissan, etc, all have a tent there.
william harris
Brad: these guys are carrying the flag. They deserve the support of the 914 club. Issue an imperial edict and it will be so. Let's get a 914 club tent and other goodies (don't know about the eye candy Erik) and show the world we are behind our racers. burnout.gif
HotRod
Congrats guys pon a good job! Some nice lookin cars.
Les didn't make it?

You can add me to the list of 914s hoping to make the runoffs, I'm takin the car out this weekend to VIR for the double SAARC/MARRS...we'll see what my chances are.

I use Hoosier simply because I like the 'feel' better, but could adjust to the Goodyear 'feel' if the price was right...
Jake Raby
Good job Chris!

I am very glad to see the 914s doing well in EP/FP this year.

I know what Kevin Groot's plan is because I am very involved with that engine as we speak. Kevin is using the stock engine to gain very important knowledge of the car and we are working together to get him in practice for how to tune the engine for varying weather conditions. I made this suggestion because an EP engine in the 4 cylinder world is a VERY volatile beast, it requires a more experienced touch to tune because it has every risk and bit of development that can be taken to make it's max power. I hope that Kevin will be ready for his engine by the time for the runoffs- if he can make it there with the stock engine he has now.

Tom Burdge is running RAT power this year for the first time. His regular season engine isn't what I would like it to be, but his runoffs engine is in the works now along with Chris's. Tom has been plagued with catastrophic engine failures so when he came to me my main goal was to get him a reliable regular season engine first and foremost and get him some reliable seat time.

As for Chris: His new engine will be getting the repair finished soon. Len is still working on the head and I just received the replacement cylinder today.. We'll have him back up and going with big power very soon. Chris is also having to get used o an engine making more power and that is more volatile as well and his car is getting some changes to compliment the engine that have to be made. Getting this much power is just like outgrowing your shoes...

This program will continue to grow for sure. I have limited the racers that I will be assisting with engine programs to Chris and Kevin Groot and after this trial year for Tom Burdge possible him as well. I have no intentions of doing more race engines than these couple of guys so I can concentrate on them and still keep my normal schedule up. Race engines create glory through hard work and risks, but they don't pay the bills!
edgetoo
Hi ALL!

There are SO many to thank. These cars and drivers are more in-bread than a West VA family!

Blake's car (chasis) went to Eric and then to me (Ed) It took about 2 yrs to mend rust, convert to 5 bolt, and reinstall race type suspension etc. All the crew of Dan Zick, Tom Gentz, & Scott Rosnick have been involved deeply in the process. (In addition to all the local and not so local experts with both technical help and parts) The EdGE ALSO ran for 2 yrs with a FSV 1700 motor with a stock trans. Last year, the car was reunited with Blake's motor plus an acquired close ratio box. Unfortunally, I failed to properly fill the dry sumpt system and the motor was lost in 3 laps. Ric Racing updated the box to correct shifting problems. With replacement parts acquired, last Monday, Eric was kind enough to assemble the bottom end. From there Dan, Jamie, and Scot Rosnick (our nephew and co-driver) proceeded to complete the assembly (with Jake gaskets & seals) including the installation of a Chris rebushed set of trailing arms and repaired exhaust system. The proscess was compleated about 2 minuits before the 2nd (wet) qualifying session started. (special thanks to the Tech inspectors who did the annual on the dry car in its garage!) Seven laps got it in the show and ready to "nut & bolt" it for the race.

(Considering that a nut had to be retrieved from the head intake port and the throddle cable also had to be repaired)

I also spun (lap 2). (I was coming out of 7 & before I got to 8. I believe I had a little more power than Chris and much better gearing.) I probably could have gone a bit faster but every time I looked in the mirror there was this Lakevile Police car asking me to pull over! (Chris drove a great race. I probably accounted for 10 sec of his time behind Mark as I didn't get him past me as quickly as I should have.)

After Impound, the starter would not work. Chris got his team together & push started the car through the puddles.

Congratulations to Chris & Eric for well prepared and well driven races. There is nothing like the first win, particularly in the car you designed and built.

Thanks for the PIX.

Thanks again for all the help.

Ed Givler EDGE CSR
EdGETOO FSV
EDGEALSO 914-4
groot
Good job guys!

As Jake said, I will do what I can to make the Runoffs with my current engine and make the swap to RABY power later this season. I have enough races in the schedule, but CENDIV has a lot of production racers, and this year, everybody's out trying to make the last M-O Runoffs. With this engine, the strong GP guys motor by me no problem, so I'm left with the table scrapes for points.... if there aren't 10+ EP competitors (not uncommon in CENDIV). For example: GingerMan had 9 EP competitors and everyone knew the weather was going to be horrible.

I have lots to learn about the car and myself, so bring it on.

Next race: Grattan National, less than 2 weeks away.... 14-15 May
ChrisFoley
I went to Mylaps.com to look at the race results and the bargraph below is a sample of what they have.
I can directly compare my times with any competitor in the race. For instance, I looked at the times of the GTI and he did only 10 laps under 1:25, while I did 13 laps under 1:25.
The gap between us grew to more than 6 seconds early in the race before I cut it back to about 2 seconds. I was working hard to catch up when I had my big off course, costing me 12 seconds. Then I continued to lay down some good times at the end.
ChrisFoley
Here's a numeric listing of my times from Mylaps.
One thing I noticed after the race - I felt like I could continue racing a lot longer, as I wasn't tired.
I attribute that to my morning workouts of running on a treadmill about 4 times a week while watching in-car videos.
ChrisFoley
Mylaps.com uses data directly from the AMB transponders in all our cars.
It can even display live timing information. SCCA plans to have an in-car system available for displaying transponder data. No more need for a beacon at trackside with a sensor in the car.
Brett W
Chris, you need to check out the new Hoosier R45A. Supposed to be really hot.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (Brett W @ May 4 2005, 01:42 AM)
Chris, you need to check out the new Hoosier R45A. Supposed to be really hot.

I was using Hoosier Wets from 2003. I don't think they ever got hot.
I plan on running Hoosier 35 compound slicks soon, and when I can afford it a new set of rains.
Brett W
I am not a Hoosier guy but one of the RX7s I work on runs them. The R45A is supposed to be softer than the R45 and last longer than the R35. Supposed to work out better than both. On your heavy car you could use something that last as well as sticks.
ChrisFoley
I'll look into it Brett, thanks.
ChrisFoley
After William Harris' camera died he borrowed mine and took a few more pics.
Starting with another one of Erik's car:
ChrisFoley
Here are a couple of my crew (wife) working on the car:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.