Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Sail "template"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NJTom
Hello, I'm restoring a 1972 914 and I'm/we're getting close to the end (thank God can't wait). The vinyl side sales need to be replaced, I know I can buy the pre cut pieces but even the OEM replicas are $25.00. Don't get me wrong I don't mind spending money but I just like to be smart about plus I only need the side and not the top. I saw and step by step instructions on replacing them but I was wondering if someone has a "template" with the sizes and where cut cut the "notches". If not I'll "wing it". Thanks in advance. Click to view attachment
rnellums
Call me crazy, but I would think the money would be better saved elsewhere. Getting the texture right is important IMO.
NJTom
QUOTE(rnellums @ Jan 26 2017, 05:42 AM) *

Call me crazy, but I would think the money would be better saved elsewhere. Getting the texture right is important IMO.

Hi thanks, I know this will sound idiotic but I'm not that fussy. This will never be a numbers matching or collectors car so I doubt very much that only a few Porsche purists would notice but thanks again I will consider....

tomh
It's a hassle to remove all the trim and do this, I just did it.
Don't just wing it,do it right with the proper material. 914 rubbers kit is inexpensive and the pieces fit perfectly.
NJTom
QUOTE(tomh @ Jan 26 2017, 07:07 AM) *

It's a hassle to remove all the trim and do this, I just did it.
Don't just wing it,do it right with the proper material. 914 rubbers kit is inexpensive and the pieces fit perfectly.

Thanks yes I saw their kit. Trims already off we are getting it ready for paint. But will mostl likely order. Thanks again
Front yard mechanic
Wing it it's what we do
NJTom
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Jan 26 2017, 07:15 AM) *

Wing it it's what we do

Thanks! We say that a lot up at "The Barn" the local shop who's doing my car. I love those guys!
bdstone914
Hope you choose a vinyl that will hold but under outside exposure and sunlight.
Dave_Darling
I've seen photos of cars done with truck bed liner paint on the sail panels. It's not quite the right texture, but it's not bad.

--DD
Big Len
You're talking about a $33.00 difference in getting 914 Rubber's pre-cut pieces that are identical to original.

To me, it's a no brainer vs. winging it.
boxsterfan
Find some sail panel vinyl that looks like brushed aluminum....ala like the 911 targa's. Put that on and see what it looks like.
malcolm2
My car is also non-Concours. I like the patina of a 40 year old paint job (or a 20 year old re-spray).

I painted my sails with truck bed liner type stuff. Cheap stuff from the AutoZone. Dave is right, it does not look perfect. It left a random bumpy texture, flat finish. I was really surprised at how good it looked.

I used the same stuff on the rocker covers. After 25,000 miles of daily driving, a spot has worn off where my foot or blue jeans rub the edge as I crawl into the driver's seat. One day I'll just touch it up.
NJTom
Thanks for all the info, I saw a you tube once where bed liner was used. But never could find again. Might be worthwhile to do a "test" worth case just strip and start over! Thanks again everyone
malcolm2
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

not very good pictures and I would say I have not washed the car since the summer, so it could be dusty.

But this is the bed liner stuff. Dupli-color Bed Armour.
NJTom
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 26 2017, 02:58 PM) *

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

not very good pictures and I would say I have not washed the car since the summer, so it could be dusty.

But this is the bed liner stuff. Dupli-color Bed Armour.

Wow thanks!
malcolm2
By the way, I forgot that I did not "paint" the top of the targa bar. I guess I could have. But the vinyl was OK up there, so I did not remove it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.